Mac for College?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanman

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Ok, so I'm asking it....

Mac osx for college?

Haha, really though, I know it works just dandy for the majority of your stuff, but would you want windows for anything college related?

Ok, that sounded dumb. Let me ask another question. If I take computer related classes in college, would I have to at least use bootcamp or parallels?

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Not really. With office for mac, compatibility is pretty good by now. You can program on a mac just fine, netbeans runs great and uh yeah. The battery last forever as well.

Also do not buy the office for students at the store. Order the academic version online http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.234329500?WT.term=%2Boffice+for+%2Bmac+for+students&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_5+-+OMac+Academic&WT.medium=cpc&WT.campaign=5+-+OMac+Academic&WT.srch=1&WT.content=v8VNDhmq&WT.source=google&cshift_ck=4792aa52-e5d8-48e7-9feb-cfeacfc303c6csv8VNDhmq much much cheaper $99 instead of $270 (must have .edu email).

edit: Unless you need some really special software, mac should be fine.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Honestly you can purchase a quality windows machine for generally $500 less than a first tier mac laptop. Unless you are going to use the high powered video and audio editing mac software, you'd be better off with Windows.

Grand_Admiral_K

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

^+1

Although a lot of things are compatible these days, you need to make sure you're getting what you need for your classes. For example, in my engineering programming class, we got our programing software (Microsoft Visual Studio) for free, for Windows. You don't want to be in the opposite problem either.

Please make a note however, if you don't need a Mac for your classes, I can't recommend getting a Mac. The amount of overcharge for their hardware is over the top. If you just want the thrill of using an OS other than Windows check out Ubuntu or another Linux based OS. It will literally save you multiple hundreds of dollars. Or, if you wanted to spend the same amount, get you a MUCH better laptop.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Boot camp is dead easy to workout anyway. Just ask your institution if they do deals on Windows software. You might be able to pick up a Professional version for 20 bucks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.