Cannot turn off the computer using the start button

After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn off, this
does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for at least 2
minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
8 answers Last reply
More about cannot turn computer start button

    "britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
    > After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
    > off, this
    > does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
    > at least 2
    > minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

    Could be a faulty mother board (worst case)
    Might be a power supply problem (not so bad, fairly easy to replace)
    Might be a bad power switch (not so bad. A little harder to replace.)
    or the power switch connector has come off the mother board (simple
    fix, but need manual for the mother board to do so)

    Diagnosing the problem takes some hardware knowledge. For example,
    I'm comfortable (I design simple circuit boards) with touching the
    start button pins with something metal, to see if the system will
    start. That would indicate a bad power switch. I don't recommend you
    try that at home!

    We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old and when I
    use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then restarts
    itself.

    Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's which
    is causing this?

    Thanks

    "pbandkb" <pbandkb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old
    > and when I
    > use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then
    > restarts
    > itself.
    >
    > Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's
    > which
    > is causing this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Sure there could be. I was just going thru potential hardware
    troubles. Software troubles are possible too. Welcome to computers.

    "pbandkb" <pbandkb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old
    > and when I
    > use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then
    > restarts
    > itself.
    >
    > Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's
    > which
    > is causing this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Well your problem is similar but not quite the same is it? You get an
    instant reboot on shutdown? Have you exhausted all software
    possibilities? You might have a bad power switch. I would check the
    continuity of the switch by removing it from the mother board and
    using an ohmmeter on it. You are telling me you can't successfully
    turn it off without it restarting immediately?

    "britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
    > After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
    > off, this
    > does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
    > at least 2
    > minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

    Britalia2002, upon rereading your post, it's probably not a hardware
    issue (remotely possible). More likely some program is not responding.
    Try searching Microsoft KB for shutdown problems

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

    Thank you very much for your help. After you told me about how to fix it, I
    was able to get in contact with my guru, and between us, we have perhaps
    figured out what is causing it. Around this time I had a problem with Norton
    Antivirus, and we think that it is connected to this problem My guru has
    basically told me what you have told me here. He also told me that I could
    close my computer by using the Task Manager. I will see later on if this
    works.

    Thanks again

    "Slippery_one" wrote:

    > "britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
    > > After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
    > > off, this
    > > does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
    > > at least 2
    > > minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
    >
    > Could be a faulty mother board (worst case)
    > Might be a power supply problem (not so bad, fairly easy to replace)
    > Might be a bad power switch (not so bad. A little harder to replace.)
    > or the power switch connector has come off the mother board (simple
    > fix, but need manual for the mother board to do so)
    >
    > Diagnosing the problem takes some hardware knowledge. For example,
    > I'm comfortable (I design simple circuit boards) with touching the
    > start button pins with something metal, to see if the system will
    > start. That would indicate a bad power switch. I don't recommend you
    > try that at home!

    Correct. We have never been able to use the "turn off" icon and have the
    computer remain off, it always reboots itself. Turning off at the tower
    however seems to work.

    I'll have to get someone to look at it I think, using your suggestions as to
    what the problems may be! Thanks for your help.

    Note to Britallia - we too have some pop up all the time relating to
    antivirus s/w...we think it's advertising. Perhaps my pc probs stem from the
    same source as yours.

    Anyhow - thankyou all for you help...let you know how we go!

    "Slippery_one" wrote:

    > "pbandkb" <pbandkb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old
    > > and when I
    > > use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then
    > > restarts
    > > itself.
    > >
    > > Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's
    > > which
    > > is causing this?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Well your problem is similar but not quite the same is it? You get an
    > instant reboot on shutdown? Have you exhausted all software
    > possibilities? You might have a bad power switch. I would check the
    > continuity of the switch by removing it from the mother board and
    > using an ohmmeter on it. You are telling me you can't successfully
    > turn it off without it restarting immediately?

  8. 3rd Attempt (Success!!)

    Problem recognized: Wake on LAN

    Right click "My Computer"
    Select "Properties"
    Go to "Hardware Device"
    Click "Device Manager"
    Select "Network Adapters"
    Select "Marvell Yukon .....PCI-Fast Ethernet Controller--> right click ---properties--->power management-->deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"--->Go to "Advanced" tab--->put value off for "Wake from shut down" --->value none for "Wake up capabilities"
    press OK

    If this doesn't work then check your BIOS

    Restart ---> press F2---> go to "Main" tab --->Network boot [Disable] --- Save

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP