Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot turn off the computer using the start button

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn off, this
does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for at least 2
minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

More about : turn computer start button

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:24:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
> After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
> off, this
> does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
> at least 2
> minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

Could be a faulty mother board (worst case)
Might be a power supply problem (not so bad, fairly easy to replace)
Might be a bad power switch (not so bad. A little harder to replace.)
or the power switch connector has come off the mother board (simple
fix, but need manual for the mother board to do so)

Diagnosing the problem takes some hardware knowledge. For example,
I'm comfortable (I design simple circuit boards) with touching the
start button pins with something metal, to see if the system will
start. That would indicate a bad power switch. I don't recommend you
try that at home!
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:07:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old and when I
use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then restarts
itself.

Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's which
is causing this?

Thanks

"Slippery_one" wrote:

>
> "britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
> > After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
> > off, this
> > does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
> > at least 2
> > minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
>
> Could be a faulty mother board (worst case)
> Might be a power supply problem (not so bad, fairly easy to replace)
> Might be a bad power switch (not so bad. A little harder to replace.)
> or the power switch connector has come off the mother board (simple
> fix, but need manual for the mother board to do so)
>
> Diagnosing the problem takes some hardware knowledge. For example,
> I'm comfortable (I design simple circuit boards) with touching the
> start button pins with something metal, to see if the system will
> start. That would indicate a bad power switch. I don't recommend you
> try that at home!
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:11:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"pbandkb" <pbandkb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F98E21B-8D2F-44A3-B079-F6ED23D7BFAD@microsoft.com...
> We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old
> and when I
> use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then
> restarts
> itself.
>
> Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's
> which
> is causing this?
>
> Thanks
>

Sure there could be. I was just going thru potential hardware
troubles. Software troubles are possible too. Welcome to computers.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"pbandkb" <pbandkb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F98E21B-8D2F-44A3-B079-F6ED23D7BFAD@microsoft.com...
> We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old
> and when I
> use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then
> restarts
> itself.
>
> Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's
> which
> is causing this?
>
> Thanks
>

Well your problem is similar but not quite the same is it? You get an
instant reboot on shutdown? Have you exhausted all software
possibilities? You might have a bad power switch. I would check the
continuity of the switch by removing it from the mother board and
using an ohmmeter on it. You are telling me you can't successfully
turn it off without it restarting immediately?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
> After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
> off, this
> does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
> at least 2
> minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

Britalia2002, upon rereading your post, it's probably not a hardware
issue (remotely possible). More likely some program is not responding.
Try searching Microsoft KB for shutdown problems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:13:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thank you very much for your help. After you told me about how to fix it, I
was able to get in contact with my guru, and between us, we have perhaps
figured out what is causing it. Around this time I had a problem with Norton
Antivirus, and we think that it is connected to this problem My guru has
basically told me what you have told me here. He also told me that I could
close my computer by using the Task Manager. I will see later on if this
works.

Thanks again


"Slippery_one" wrote:

>
> "britalia2002" <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7CB922C1-C70F-430F-8D46-7452424B8522@microsoft.com...
> > After pressing the start button, and going to either retart or turn
> > off, this
> > does not work I have to press the power button on the pc tower for
> > at least 2
> > minutes. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
>
> Could be a faulty mother board (worst case)
> Might be a power supply problem (not so bad, fairly easy to replace)
> Might be a bad power switch (not so bad. A little harder to replace.)
> or the power switch connector has come off the mother board (simple
> fix, but need manual for the mother board to do so)
>
> Diagnosing the problem takes some hardware knowledge. For example,
> I'm comfortable (I design simple circuit boards) with touching the
> start button pins with something metal, to see if the system will
> start. That would indicate a bad power switch. I don't recommend you
> try that at home!
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 6:53:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Correct. We have never been able to use the "turn off" icon and have the
computer remain off, it always reboots itself. Turning off at the tower
however seems to work.

I'll have to get someone to look at it I think, using your suggestions as to
what the problems may be! Thanks for your help.

Note to Britallia - we too have some pop up all the time relating to
antivirus s/w...we think it's advertising. Perhaps my pc probs stem from the
same source as yours.

Anyhow - thankyou all for you help...let you know how we go!

"Slippery_one" wrote:

>
> "pbandkb" <pbandkb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2F98E21B-8D2F-44A3-B079-F6ED23D7BFAD@microsoft.com...
> > We have the same problem with our computer. It is only a month old
> > and when I
> > use the "turn off" icon, the computer momentarily turns off but then
> > restarts
> > itself.
> >
> > Are you sure there is not some broader fault or settings on our pc's
> > which
> > is causing this?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
> Well your problem is similar but not quite the same is it? You get an
> instant reboot on shutdown? Have you exhausted all software
> possibilities? You might have a bad power switch. I would check the
> continuity of the switch by removing it from the mother board and
> using an ohmmeter on it. You are telling me you can't successfully
> turn it off without it restarting immediately?
>
>
>
May 1, 2009 1:22:01 PM

3rd Attempt (Success!!)

Problem recognized: Wake on LAN

Right click "My Computer"
Select "Properties"
Go to "Hardware Device"
Click "Device Manager"
Select "Network Adapters"
Select "Marvell Yukon .....PCI-Fast Ethernet Controller--> right click ---properties--->power management-->deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"--->Go to "Advanced" tab--->put value off for "Wake from shut down" --->value none for "Wake up capabilities"
press OK


If this doesn't work then check your BIOS

Restart ---> press F2---> go to "Main" tab --->Network boot [Disable] --- Save
!