obsessive search

Basic question here as I'm not too clear on the Madness rule. If I play
"Obsessive Search" to draw a card, can I also tap U and pay the madness cost to
draw a second card?

If not, help me with how a card such as this one is of any use (i.e. tap U to
draw a card).

LBradH <lbradh@aol.commmono> wrote:

> Basic question here as I'm not too clear on the Madness rule. If I play
> "Obsessive Search" to draw a card, can I also tap U and pay the madness
> cost to draw a second card?

"tap U"? Only permanents can become tapped. Mana is not a permanent.

Obsessive Search
{U}
Instant
Draw a card.
Madness {U} (You may play this card for its madness cost at the time you
discard it from your hand.)

And no.

502.24. Madness

502.24a Madness is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is
a static ability that functions while the card with madness is in a
player's hand. The second is a triggered ability that functions when the
first ability is applied. The phrase "Madness [cost]" means "If a player
would discard this card from his or her hand, that player discards it,
but may remove it from the game instead of putting it into his or her
graveyard" and "When this card is removed from the game this way, until
that player passes next, the player may play it any time he or she could
play an instant as though it were in his or her hand by paying [cost]
rather than paying its mana cost. When the player passes next, he or she
puts this card into his or her graveyard."

502.24b Playing a spell using its madness ability follows the rules for
paying alternative costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f-h.

Discard
A player discards a card by putting a card from his or her hand into his
or her graveyard. By default, effects that cause a player to discard a
card allow the affected player to choose which card to discard. Some
effects, however, require a random discard or allow another player to
choose which card is discarded.

The option of paying the madness cost requires that you would DISCARD
the card, i.e., put it from your hand to the graveyard. Putting it from
your hand to the stack is not relevant for Madness. Neither is putting
it from the stack to your graveyard.

> If not, help me with how a card such as this one is of any use (i.e. tap U to
> draw a card).

The Madness ability becomes relevant whenever you would discard that
card. For example, suppose you have a Compulsion in play.

Compulsion
{1}{U}
Enchantment
{1}{U}, Discard a card from your hand: Draw a card.
{1}{U}, Sacrifice Compulsion: Draw a card.

If you play its first ability and choose an Obsessive Search as the card
to be discarded, you can use the Madness ability rather than put it
directly in the graveyard.

Or suppose an opponent plays Unhinge on you:

Unhinge
{2}{B}
Sorcery
Target player discards a card from his or her hand.
Draw a card.

You could choose the Obsessive Search as the card to be discarded and
then use the Madness ability.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

LBradH <lbradh@aol.commmono> sent:
> Basic question here as I'm not too clear on the Madness rule. If I play
> "Obsessive Search" to draw a card, can I also tap U and pay the madness cost to
> draw a second card?

No. Madness doesn't have any effect in situations where you're just
playing the card from your hand as an ordinary spell. In this
situation, you just follow the rest of the text on the card, which for
Obsessive Search is "Draw a card". Madness only takes effect when
something tells you to discard a card, and you happen to choose one
that has Madness. Madness lets you divert the card to the
removed-from-game zone instead of putting it in the graveyard; you're
allowed to play that spell using its Madness cost if you do so before
you next pass priority. If you didn't play it, you get to put it in
your graveyard.

> If not, help me with how a card such as this one is of any use (i.e. tap U to
> draw a card).

If you're asked to discard the Obsessive Search card in any way, such
as by someone playing Mind Rot on you, then you get to play the
Obsessive Search anyway.

Mind Rot {2}{B} Sorcery
Target player discards two cards from his or her hand.

--
-- zoe - who always used Obsessive Search with Dream Halls

On 01 Jun 2004 06:18:27 GMT, LBradH <lbradh@aol.commmono> wrote:
>Basic question here as I'm not too clear on the Madness rule. If I play
>"Obsessive Search" to draw a card, can I also tap U and pay the madness cost to
>draw a second card?

No. If you are -playing- the OS, you are casting it as a spell; this does not
in any way involve -discarding- it. (It involves putting it from your hand
onto the stack... and later involves putting it from the stack into the
graveyard. Neither of these is a discard.)

>If not, help me with how a card such as this one is of any use (i.e. tap U to
>draw a card).

It's useful played as a spell; it's equally useful combined with something
that tells you to discard it, either as part of the cost of some spell or
activated ability, or as part of the effect of some spell or ability, or
just because you have too many cards in hand as your Cleanup step starts in
your turn's End phase.

It has no way given on it that lets you discard it _by itself_; Madness is
a triggered ability that -triggers- when you discard the card. It doesn't
include a method to discard the card in and of itself.

Dave