Which Graphics Card Should I Get?

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Dear Fellow Forum Members,
I'm getting a new computer soon, and need to know which card you think I should go with: The Radeon 9800 Pro 256 meg or the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. If it will help, my system specs are as follows:

Processor: 3.0 GHz P4 (could be a 3.2 by the time I order the stupid thing)
Mobo: Asus P4C800-E
RAM: 2 gigs Corsair XMS PC3500 (4x 512)
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex
Case: Thermaltake Xaser III V2000+
HD: 2x160 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
DVD-ROM: Samsung SD-816BEPB
DVD-RW: Sony DW-UA10A
CD-ROM: AOpen 56x
Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX 6.1
Power Supply: Antec TrueControl 550W

I just went ahead and listed everything (minus things like the UPS, modem, etc.), because, well, any and all advice, even if it doesn't pertain to the graphics card, would be much appreciated. =)
Oh, and yes, I want three optical drives, and no one is changing my mind. ;)

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

cleeve

Illustrious
The 9800 PRO would be my pick, I admit I'm a bit biased because of Nvidias cheating scandals of late.

I wouldn't bother spending the extra cash for the 256 MB version though. It offers no real-world advantage.

Either card will deliver amazing performance in games. You can't lose if you have a 9800 PRO or GeforceFX 5900 Ultra.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I'd get the 9800 Pro and change the speakers to Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1...which comes with 5 satellites and a sub-woofer (http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?prodID=46). It's pricey but you seem to only want the best for your system. Of course it looks as though you want the ol 6.1 surround instead. I dunno if I'd spring for the creatives...I'd just get some Altec Lansings that are affordable for now (perhaps the 621's...I know they are only two satellites and a sub...but after you replace them with something better, you can use them for playstation/gamecube/xbox!) and then wait for Klipsch to come out in the next quarter with a 6.1 surround. They are the tops when it comes to computer speakers. Just my two cents worth.

Insert_ending_here,
TKS

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Before I EXPLODE on your ass, let me ask you something.
What all do you use your computer for?

Please list specific applications and state whether you use them often or rarely. P.S. consider "games" an application.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Well, you seem kind of unstable, so I don't know whether I should talk with you or not. ;)
It will mainly be for gaming (any and all kinds.....sports, FPS, RPG), but also the standard listening to music, internet surfing, whatnot. Also, I'm majoring in physics, and you have to use some pretty high-end programs for that (I know some places are using Maya, but there are others).

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
You are correct, it doesn't offer any real-world advantage.....yet. But this computer has to last me a while. =) So I'm thinking ahead, too. While the ATI works best now, it seems that Nvidia has modeled the 5900 more towards games of the future.
It's all a guessing game, really, as to which one will be the best of these two in the next few months, when the newer games come out.

simwiz2

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Both 256 MB cards are overpriced, but if you are going to get a card with 256 MB the 5900 is best, since it is slightly faster.

The 9800 with 128 MB is a much better deal than either 256 MB card though.

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
Who told you the 5900 is made for games of the future? Considering it has lower DX9.0 speed than the 9800 I would think that would be geared towards the future

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
hmm... i see. (Breath in.... breath out.... breath in.... breath out... comon, this is what all those anger management courses were for!...)

OK...
(slow calm voice)
Disgruntled Elf...
After seeing what you use your computer for, and what components you have in it (or are adding), I have come to a conclusion.

You are nothing but a stupid, RICH, college kid trying to get the BEST available to show off or WHATEVER, but you obviously know VERY LITTLE about computers.
For what you do there is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT, WITHOUT A DOUBT, NO (NONE) REASON IN THE UNIVERSE, to have 2 freaking GIGABYTES of RAM, YOU are a COMPLETE AND TOTAL MORON!!!

Do you have ANY idea how USELESS and STUPID it is to have 2gb of ram? Only under VERY RARE AND EXTREME conditions would it be of any benefit. 1gb I can deal with nowadays, but 2gb (under your circumstances) shows your extreme idiocy.

Do you realise that by having 2 gigabytes of ram (esp. in 4 seperate sticks) that youve just LESSENED performance in many applications, mainly games?
Thats right. Like I said, only under very RARE AND EXTREME conditions would you need 2gb of ram. NOT EVEN WITH MAYA under normal circumstances!
Go find some benchmarks.

I am not joking or being sarcastic when I say you have LOWERED performance.
The more memory you have the more memory addresses there are, the more overhead there is, the more your cpu has to work, the more of an IDIOT you are.

I will probably get flamed for this, but who cares.
I just cant STAND it when IDIOTS like YOU, non-professionals, think they need more than a gigabyte of ram.
YOU DONT!
99.9% of people would have ZERO usage for more than 1gb of ram. As a matter of fact, 99.9% of people would have no use for more than 512mb of ram! But 1gb i'll accept.

Look at the benchmarks. ANY GAME, DOOM 3 included, 3dmark 2003, EVERYTHING, RUNS BEST with 512mb of ram. 1024 performs no better (a little worse if anything), and 2gb is going to perform worse than 1gb.

I hope you feel smart you worthless sack of paid-for-by-parents college sh*t.
Maybe you shoulda asked us about your whole system before going and looking like a JACKASS by getting 2gb of ram.
Any smart/cool/1337 person at your college is secretly going to chuckle and make fun of you when you tell him you have 2gb of ram.

cleeve

Illustrious
Ouch.

Willamette, dude... more deep breaths! I feel your pain, but it's not the Elf's fault that he has a surplus of cash.

For the record, Willamette's right. 2 GB of Ram would be wasted on you. If you need 2 GB of ram in two years, buy it then, because it two years it will be $39.99

Peace out, fellows.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
"You are nothing but a stupid, RICH, college kid trying to get the BEST available to show off or WHATEVER"
As I'll state below, stupid and ignorant are two seperate things. I myself am not rich. I simply have been saving up and am ready to make a purchase. I'm getting the best available because it will have to last me at least 5-6 years (I won't have any money to spare while in college, and after I get out, I probably won't have a lot right off the bat, either).

"YOU are a COMPLETE AND TOTAL MORON!!!"
There is a difference between being ignorant and a moron. I am simply ignorant. I'm building a PC for the first time. Moronic would be if I had done lots of research on 2 GB of RAM vs. 1 GB of RAM, in which they all stated that 2 was useless, and still gotten it. Ignorant is me not knowing either way, so I post in a forum for advice. Ignorant is also typing very lengthy forum posts to people, especially when what they are doing harms you in no way whatsoever, and you have no real stock in what happens, without knowing all of the information (or bothering to try and find out). Ignorant is a lack of information about a subject.

"Do you have ANY idea how USELESS and STUPID it is to have 2gb of ram?"
Obviously not. If I did, I wouldn't have even suggested it.

"I hope you feel smart you worthless sack of paid-for-by-parents college sh*t."
Actually, I'm paying for it myself.

"Maybe you shoulda asked us about your whole system before going and looking like a JACKASS by getting 2gb of ram."
I did ask you about my whole system before I got it. I haven't gotten it yet. So I don't look like a "jackass" by "getting 2gb of ram," because I, in fact, have not gotten it yet.

I appreciate the advice, though, even though you went about it rather crudely. I really do, though. I'm not being sarcastic. I should look more into this if someone is willing to spend that much time venting themselves over this subject.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Wow!
Thankyou!
And I'm not being sarcastic either!

This is the first time one of my rants/flaming sessions has had a positive influence! You're actually considering my advice!
I have a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside now:)

I'm not sorry for flaming you though.

However, since you do now come accross as a perfectly level-headed guy, then YES, I suggest you get ONE gigabyte of ram (2x512 xms3500).
That way you wont look like a dipshit in front of people who actually know what theyre talking about!
Also performance will, for you, in most cases, be increased:)

BUT DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!
Actually do.
But take Cleeve's too, and whoever else decides to respond and agree with me.

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I'm very thick-headed, so that was probably the only way you'd get through to me. =) In a perverse way I kind of enjoy being flamed.
The only reason I considered getting that much RAM is because this PC could have to last me as much as 8 years, and I've heard whispers in the dark corners of the jungle that is the internet that games such as Doom 3 do in fact benefit from 2 gigs of RAM. And, even if it doesn't, in 8 years (although more likely 5-6), there is no telling.
It's easy to say now you won't need 2 gigs ever, but, then, Bill Gates once said you'd never need more than 512 kb of RAM. I believe that was the quote, anyway, but if it isn't, don't flame me (or do).....I know how you work. You're like a skilled swordsmen waiting for his opponent to make the slightest slip-up so you can lunge forward and destroy him. =)

In a perverse way I kind of enjoy being flamed.
Ok, then in that case; You're short too!

And, your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of Eldeberries!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Gaming Guru ya' wanna fix the RE: line before I feel the need to call your mother names too! :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
The way I see it, getting the BEST components may not be the best option for you. What I mean is this. By spending 1/2 of the money you are currently planning to spend, you can get a system that will be more than enough for anything that you want to do today ... and even a couple of years. In the meantime, you deposit the rest of the money to a bank. After about 1 1/2 - 2 years you will have more than enough money to build a new system. The reason for all this is that you can never predict the future, especially when talking about computers. So, maybe everything we see today will be worthless in 2004 because new technologies will arise etc. I believe you see my point here.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this out of my head :p

Also, here are some number from Newegg:

Processor: 3.0 GHz P4
Mobo: Asus P4C800-E
RAM: 2 gigs Corsair XMS PC3500 (4x 512)
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex

*About $1400*

Barton 2800+
A7N8X Deluxe
Corsair PC3200 XMS LL (2 x 256MB)
On-board Soundstorm

*About $470*

Will these two systems have any difference in performance? Sure! Will you be able to notice this difference? I doubt! At least not to the point where the extra $1000 will be justified. You can even put a 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro to that configuration and for about $800 you will have a system that will own Doom III/Half Life 2.

I think we all see it, but that's true of just about EVERY year. IMO.

Get what you can when you feel you need it. Only look to the future if you are getting the very best card and don't need one right now and have a good one already.

If you're not going full out the 9700non-pro is your best bet.

But that's just what I think.

Your Mother plays America's Army, In BOOTS! There! :tongue:

With a Tutu on?

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
We have gotten disgustingly off topic here. =) Don't forget what the original intent of the post was.