FD "Goblin Cannon"

Hi there,

the card "Goblin Cannon" is not entirely clear to me. It says:

Info: [Edition] = Fifth Dawn (FD), [Color] = Artifact, [Rarity] = Uncommon,
[Cost] = 4, [Type] = Artifact
CARD TEXT: 2: Goblin Cannon deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.

As I understand the rules, there is no interaction until all the actions on
this card are resolved. This would mean for 6 Mana I can deal 1 Damage. That
would be awful in my oppinion.

Do I make a mistake here?

Thanks

Thomas Warratz

"Thomas Warratz" <thomas.warratz@t-online.de> writes:
> the card "Goblin Cannon" is not entirely clear to me. It says:

It's a confusing card; and I think that they could have done something
very similar without being as confusing.

> Info: [Edition] = Fifth Dawn (FD), [Color] = Artifact, [Rarity] = Uncommon,
> [Cost] = 4, [Type] = Artifact
> CARD TEXT: 2: Goblin Cannon deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
> Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.
>
> As I understand the rules, there is no interaction until all the actions on
> this card are resolved. This would mean for 6 Mana I can deal 1 Damage. That
> would be awful in my oppinion.
>
> Do I make a mistake here?

The sacrifice doesn't happen until the effect resolves, and the Cannon
not being there won't keep existing abilities on the stack from it
from resolving.

Basically, you can activate it several times in response to each
other, and each time will deal one damage to something. The first one
to resolve will have the Cannon be sacrificed, but the others will
still resolve as well.

It's very very similar to as if it were worded:
{X}{X}: Goblin Cannon deals X damage divided as you choose among any
number of target creatures and/or players. Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.

--
Peter C.
"No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you

"Thomas Warratz" <thomas.warratz@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> the card "Goblin Cannon" is not entirely clear to me. It says:
>
> Info: [Edition] = Fifth Dawn (FD), [Color] = Artifact, [Rarity] =
Uncommon,
> [Cost] = 4, [Type] = Artifact
> CARD TEXT: 2: Goblin Cannon deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
> Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.
>
> As I understand the rules, there is no interaction until all the actions
on
> this card are resolved. This would mean for 6 Mana I can deal 1 Damage.
That
> would be awful in my oppinion.

It would be awful. 6 mana for 1 damage isn't generally regarded as good or
efficient.

> Do I make a mistake here?

Fortunately, yes. The card is much better than you imagine. You can activate
the Cannon for 2 mana, and "in response", activate it again. Repeat ad
nauseum (or until you run out of mana, whichever comes first). Then, all
your Cannon activations are on the stack. The *last* one resolves first. So
it shoots its target for one, then you sacrifice the Cannon. However, all
your other activations are still on the stack, and the Cannon not being in
play won't stop them from resolving. So, the rest of the activations will
"fire off".
So basically, the Cannon is only good if you can activate it multiple times
in a row. If you only have 2 mana available, it's probably not a great idea
to use it. If you have 20 available, that's a different story....

--

KB

Ken Briscoe <youcant@sendmespam.com> wrote:

> The *last* one resolves first. So
> it shoots its target for one, then you sacrifice the Cannon.

Assuming, of course, that you didn't respond to the last activation with
something like the ability of Vedalken Mastermind.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Ok, thanks. Then this card makes some sense in Infinite Mana - Combo -
Decks. :-D

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:00:10 -0400, pete@cooper.homedns.org (Peter
Cooper Jr.) wrote:

>"Thomas Warratz" <thomas.warratz@t-online.de> writes:
>> the card "Goblin Cannon" is not entirely clear to me. It says:
>
>It's a confusing card; and I think that they could have done something
>very similar without being as confusing.

Yup, but they wanted it to be a tribute to Rocket Launcher and then
they had to keep the style of wording. BTW Thomas, I thought exactly
the same about Rocket Launcher when I saw it the first time. :)

Rocket Launcher
{4}
Artifact
{2}: ~this~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player. Sacrifice
~this~ at end of turn. Play this ability only if you've controlled
~this~ continuously since the most recent beginning of your turn.

>> Info: [Edition] = Fifth Dawn (FD), [Color] = Artifact, [Rarity] = Uncommon,
>> [Cost] = 4, [Type] = Artifact
>> CARD TEXT: 2: Goblin Cannon deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
>> Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.

>It's very very similar to as if it were worded:
>{X}{X}: Goblin Cannon deals X damage divided as you choose among any
>number of target creatures and/or players. Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.

But, as you hint, it would not be exactly the same.

Your version would, for example, be able to penetrate Urza's Armor, or
kill a Fungusaur or any creature (toughness >1) whose controller has
Rite of Passage in play.

Urza's Armor
{6}
Artifact
If a source would deal damage to you, prevent 1 of that damage.

Fungusaur
{3}{G}
Creature -- Fungusaur
2/2
Whenever ~this~ is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Rite of Passage
{2}{G}
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter
on it. (The damage is dealt before the counter is put on.)

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Thomas Warratz <thomas.warratz@t-online.de> wrote:
>the card "Goblin Cannon" is not entirely clear to me. It says:

It's a less powerful version of Rocket Launcher; it gets sacrificed the
moment one of its abilities resolves, rather than at end of turn.

>CARD TEXT: 2: Goblin Cannon deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
>Sacrifice Goblin Cannon.
>
>As I understand the rules, there is no interaction until all the actions on
>this card are resolved. This would mean for 6 Mana I can deal 1 Damage. That
>would be awful in my oppinion.

"no interaction"?

>Do I make a mistake here?

Perhaps. If the target is still legal on resolution, the ability will resolve,
and will then do its effects in order. First it will deal 1 damage to the
target; second it will tell its controller to sacrifice Goblin Cannon. Those
are not tied together in any way; preventing the damage won't stop the
sacrifice, and being unable to sacrifice doesn't stop the damage. They are
two effects of the same ability.

So if Goblin Cannon is no longer THERE on resolution ... whether because it
was already sacrificed to an earlier-resolving ability of its own, or because
opponent stole it in response with Avarice Totem ... you can't sacrifice it.
But you can still deal the damage just fine.

The Cannon has to be there on _announcement_, because otherwise the activated
ability isn't available to be played, of course. But nothing in the effect
says it has to be there on -resolution-. The effect just says that if you
-do- control it at that time, you must sacrifice it.

Dave