9500 Pro v.s. 9700 non-pro

rick1234

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I've pretty much narrowed it down to buying one of these two cards. From what i understand, the 9500 pro can be overclocked to run as fast as the 9700 pro. And im also keeping in mind the fact that the 9500 pro is cheaper. Can anyone recommend one of these cards over the other?

Thanks for any help

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
9500 Pro running as fast as 9700 Pro, w/o being modded?
Highly dubious.
And don't forget the 9700 can be overclocked too.

The 9700 np is alot better, get it dude.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

cleeve

Illustrious
The 9700 non-pro is the way to go.

The 9700 non-pro still has the 256 bit memory bus of the 9700 PRO.

The 9500 PRO has a 128 bit memory bus.

This makes a huge difference. the 9700 is far superior, especially when overclocked!

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

The 9700Non-pro is the way to go.

The 9500Pro can't RELIABLY be clocked that high and you could fry your card like..., um, well YOU like WOULD fry your card.

The only card with the wiggle room is another card, and if you don't know which one, I don't think any of us would recommmend it because it's not for you.

Go with the 9700non-pro. If you can afford it it's the wise choice. And the performance difference IS substantial. And if you think the 9500P can overclock to a 9700Non-pro, do you think the 9700Non-pro is static?

Go with the 9700Non-pro. Yeah that's what I meant to say.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

rick1234

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Ok....iv decided to but the 9700 non pro. Just a quick question. Powercolor or ATI? It make a difference or? on pricewatch their the same price....around 200 flat.

I don't think ATI makes a Non-pro I thought those were for their 'powered by' OEM partners.

However I WOULD say stay away from powercolor if you can get anyone else. Sapphire would be my suggestion for the Non-pro.
Although others have a better grip on the current price/availibility online.

EDIT: But if it IS a BuiltByATI 9700non-pro (which I doubt) then definitely go with that one.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 06/26/03 02:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Well they are in the same class about. I would personally go with the OCsystems, because I don't like Powercolors past.
It's funny the OCsystems card is also running at 277mhz core whereas the Powercolor 'Gold' runs the standard 275mhz core.

But at this point I think it's a toss-up. Basically go with the one that gives you the most features.
Maybe wait a few hours too to see if anyone with experience with OCsystems has something to add. Or just anyone for that matter.

EDIT: Although also notice at the bottom of the page OCsystems does say 'not responsible for typographical errors' (does that mean they could call it a 9800 or Pro?)

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 06/26/03 02:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>