Paradise Mantle & Silver Myr - Two Mana or One?

Paradise Mantle
{0}
Artifact -- Equipment
Equipped creature has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana
pool."
Equip {1} ({1}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a
sorcery.)

Silver Myr
{2}
Artifact Creature -- Myr
1/1
{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.

If I equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, do I get one U and
one mana color of my choice totaling two mana produced?

www.ttdown.com <> wrote:

> Paradise Mantle
> {0}
> Artifact -- Equipment
> Equipped creature has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana
> pool."
> Equip {1} ({1}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a
> sorcery.)
>
> Silver Myr
> {2}
> Artifact Creature -- Myr
> 1/1
> {T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.
>
> If I equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, do I get one U and
> one mana color of my choice totaling two mana produced?

Produced from what? Remember that you choose one (1) spell/activated
ability before you pay its cost.

Pay
Playing most spells and activated abilities requires paying costs; see
rule 409, "Playing Spells and Activated Abilities." Declaring attackers
(see rule 308, "Declare Attackers Step") and declaring blockers (see
rule 309, "Declare Blockers Step") can also require paying costs.
Paying mana is done by removing the indicated amount of mana from
the player's mana pool. Any time a player is asked to pay mana, mana
abilities may be played. Mana abilities must be played before the costs
are paid. Paying life subtracts the indicated amount of life from the
player's life total. A player can't pay more mana than the amount of
mana in his or her mana pool or more life than his or her life total.
Zero life or zero mana can always be paid, even if the player has less
than zero life.
To pay any cost, the player carries out the instructions specified
by the spell, ability, or effect. It's illegal to attempt paying a cost
when unable to successfully follow the instructions. For example, a
player can't pay a cost that requires tapping a creature if that
creature is already tapped.
Each payment applies to only one spell or ability. For example, a
player can't sacrifice just one creature to play the activated abilities
of two permanents that require sacrificing a creature as a cost. Also,
the resolution of a spell or ability doesn't pay another spell or
ability's cost, even if part of its effect is doing the same thing the
other cost asks for.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

www.ttdown.com <> writes:
> Paradise Mantle
> {0}
> Artifact -- Equipment
> Equipped creature has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana
> pool."
> Equip {1} ({1}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a
> sorcery.)
>
> Silver Myr
> {2}
> Artifact Creature -- Myr
> 1/1
> {T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.
>
> If I equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, do I get one U and
> one mana color of my choice totaling two mana produced?

No. If you equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, then the Myr
has two abilities: "{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool." and "{T}: Add one
mana of any color to your mana pool."

Activated abilities (those with a colon in them, written <cost>:
<effect>) never just occur on their own. (This seems to be a common
misconception, so don't feel bad.) If you want an activated ability to
occur, you point to the ability and say "I play *you*!" You then
choose any targets for it and pay its cost. It this case, the cost is
tapping it. If you can't pay the cost (because it's already tapped,
say), then you can't play the ability.

So, you may choose one of its abilities to play, and pay its
cost. Once you've tapped it to play one ability, you can't play the
other until you can pay the other cost.

To put it another way, you wouldn't expect attacking with it to add a
random blue mana to your mana pool, would you? (Some people have this
misconception as well, but it's much rarer than the one you
described.) If it actually did something whenever it got tapped, it
would be worded so, like "Whenever this becomes tapped, add {U} to
your mana pool."

I hope that helps clear things up. Please feel free to post again if
you have more questions.

--
Peter C.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 08:36:44 -0700, www.ttdown.com <> wrote:
>Paradise Mantle 0 Artifact -- Equipment
> Equipped creature has "Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.". /
> Equip 1 (*)
>Silver Myr 2 Artifact Creature -- Myr
>1/1 Tap: Add U to your mana pool.
>
>If I equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, do I get one U and
>one mana color of my choice totaling two mana produced?

Nope. How would you get that?

You can use the Myr's innate ability, and get U.

Or you can use the ability that the Mantle gives to the Myr, and get one mana
of any color.

You have to way to "play both activated mana abiliites at the same time" in
any way. Paradise Mantle is not a Wild Growth; it does not -trigger off of-
the equipped creature producing mana in any way. It gives the creature an
activated mana ability, separate from any other activated ability that creature
may have. Much like a Joiner Adept or Overlaid Terrain does for lands you
control.

Dave

someone sez:

<<
>Paradise Mantle
>{0}
>Artifact -- Equipment
>Equipped creature has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana
pool."
>Equip {1} ({1}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a
>sorcery.)
>
>Silver Myr
>{2}
>Artifact Creature -- Myr
>1/1
>{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.
>
>If I equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, do I get one U and
>one mana color of my choice totaling two mana produced?

No, just one or the other. I don't know how the card could be worded to be
able to combine them...

If you ever see this sort of thing, think of a coupon's fine print: "Cannot be
combined with any other offer"...

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

<www.ttdown.com> wrote in message
> Paradise Mantle
> {0}
> Artifact -- Equipment
> Equipped creature has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana
> pool."
> Equip {1} ({1}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a
> sorcery.)
>
> Silver Myr
> {2}
> Artifact Creature -- Myr
> 1/1
> {T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.
>
> If I equip the Paradise Mantle on the Silver Myr, do I get one U and
> one mana color of my choice totaling two mana produced?

No. The Mantle gives the Myr the ability "T: Add one mana of any color".
This means the Myr has two abilities, its natural "T: Add U to your mana
pool" and the Mantle's ability "T: Add one mana of any color". You can use
either one, but you can't play both at the same time.

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> No, just one or the other. I don't know how the card could be worded to be
> able to combine them...

Hm, how about, "Equipped creature has "When this creature is tapped for
mana also add one mana of any color to your mana pool.""
;)

Might need to reword "this creature" and "also"...