Goin' Legit

Ok I have a pirated copy of XP Pro. I wish to go legit and buy it outright.
I don't want to re-install, so will I be able to simply change the product
key and be OK?
Thanks much,

Jimmy John Jacob JS

"Raving Lunatic" <trenchmouth@gullet.net> wrote in message
> Ok I have a pirated copy of XP Pro. I wish to go legit and buy it
> outright.
> I don't want to re-install, so will I be able to simply change the product
> key and be OK?
> Thanks much,
>
> Jimmy John Jacob JS

There is software that will let you change your XP Key (google it), however,
I would guess that your "pirated" copy is a Volume license of Windows. As
such, I do not believe a retail key will function on it.

bar

Best method is to buy a Full Product - goodness.

Then perform a 'Repair' Installation. This won't delete any application
settings or personal data.

That said, I would run a 'backup' for your files and settings - using Files
and Settings Transfer WIzard. Create a file with everything that can be
selected. Place it in a unique folder on the C Drive or andother partition
if your have one. When finished, copy to a CD r DVD for safe keeping.

Note: This is not a bad 'backup' method to follow on a regular basis.

Raving Lunatic wrote:
> Ok I have a pirated copy of XP Pro. I wish to go legit and buy it outright.
> I don't want to re-install, so will I be able to simply change the product
> key and be OK?
> Thanks much,
>
> Jimmy John Jacob JS

I commend you for your decision. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's not
quite as easy as simply changing the Product Key. Product Keys are
bound to the specific type and language of CD/license (OEM, Volume,
retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased. For example, a
WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail version of WinXP
Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa. An upgrade's
Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and vice versa. An
OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail product. An Italian
Product Key will not work with an English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys
and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

You'll need to use your _legitimate_ full retail copy of WinXP Pro to
perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using the new
CD and Product Key.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bite the bullet and do a clean install of XP. Before installing XP, however
makes sure you have all your important data backed up, either to CDs or DVDs
is the way I backup my data.

Jerry wrote:
> Bite the bullet and do a clean install of XP.

Why? Is there a valid technical reason for this draconian action of
which we're unaware?

> Before installing XP, however
> makes sure you have all your important data backed up,

Always a wise precaution when making *any* substantial changes to a
computer's operating system, including upgrades, or file structure.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm