netscape 8 beta

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Ad wrote:

> Kenny S wrote:
>
>> http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/download/default.jsp
>>
> firefox is better, I know Netscape is based on Firefox code, but firefox
> is still better.
> Anyway, I thought AOl was not going to bother with Netscape anymore?

Never Let the Competition Know What you are Really up To!!

Kenny S wrote:
> http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/download/default.jsp

Even as a bets, Netscape 8 is a pretty good product. One big draw for it
will be its ability to access Windows Update. Now we won't have to use
Internet Explorer at all anymore.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> Kenny S wrote:
>
>>http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/download/default.jsp
>

> Even as a bets, Netscape 8 is a pretty good product. One big draw for it
> will be its ability to access Windows Update. Now we won't have to use
> Internet Explorer at all anymore.

And one drawback is that in many cases it will use IE instead of Firefox
when it unnecessary to use IE and when using Firefox would both display
pages better and be more secure.

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> C A Upsdell" <""cupsdellXXX\"@-@-@XXXupsdell.com wrote:
>
>>Donald L McDaniel wrote:

>>>Even as a bets, Netscape 8 is a pretty good product. One big draw
>>>for it will be its ability to access Windows Update. Now we won't
>>>have to use Internet Explorer at all anymore.
>>
>>And one drawback is that in many cases it will use IE instead of
>>Firefox when it unnecessary to use IE and when using Firefox would
>>both display pages better and be more secure.
>

> Ah, but it IS necessary to use Internet Explorer's rendering engine to
> access Windows Update. This is my point. It is now possible to access
> Windows Update from within a non-Microsoft browser. Whether or not Firefox
> is a better or worse browser is kind of a religious issue.

That Firefox implements the standards better, and therefore renders
pages more correctly, is a fact, not a religious issue.

Kenny S wrote:
> I tested it, and it says its based on FIREFOX 1.0 not IE.....

First, if you studied NN8 even the slightest bit, you would know that it
uses either IE or Firefox, depending on the page and on the user's
preference.

Second, NN8's current userAgent string is clearly temporary and cannot
be counted on. We can be certain that, when NN8 is released, there will
be one userAgent string for one mode, and a different string for the
other mode. Otherwise browser sniffers would wrongly detect the browser
on a LOT of pages, which would break a lot of pages.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

C A Upsdell" <""cupsdellXXX\"@-@-@XXXupsdell.com wrote:
> Donald L McDaniel wrote:
>> C A Upsdell" <""cupsdellXXX\"@-@-@XXXupsdell.com wrote:

>>> And one drawback is that in many cases it will use IE instead of
>>> Firefox when it unnecessary to use IE and when using Firefox would
>>> both display pages better and be more secure.
>>

>> Ah, but it IS necessary to use Internet Explorer's rendering engine
>> to access Windows Update. This is my point. It is now possible to
>> access Windows Update from within a non-Microsoft browser. Whether
>> or not Firefox is a better or worse browser is kind of a religious
>> issue.
>
> That Firefox implements the standards better, and therefore renders
> pages more correctly, is a fact, not a religious issue.

As I said in my previous post, I will not discuss religious issues with
fanatics.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,