system restore

after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access my second hard drive.
i`m prompt do u wish to partition drive or no access to f drive which is my
secondary drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored stuff
--
music man
11 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
    Does the f partition show under Volume?

    Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the restore.
    To do so go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    If there are any found post the EventID and Source here.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    cpate wrote:
    > after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access
    > my second hard drive. i`m prompt do u wish to partition
    > drive or no access to f drive which is my secondary
    > drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored
    > stuff

    hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and the sorce is
    evntagnt. also i looked in the system restore page and found out although
    system restore was not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the slider
    for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is not bad news thx again

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
    > Does the f partition show under Volume?
    >
    > Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the restore.
    > To do so go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    > If there are any found post the EventID and Source here.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > cpate wrote:
    > > after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access
    > > my second hard drive. i`m prompt do u wish to partition
    > > drive or no access to f drive which is my secondary
    > > drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored
    > > stuff

    Hi,

    Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?

    Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I don't think
    this anything to do with the missing drive.

    Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the Application log
    every time that you restart Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    cpate wrote:
    > hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and
    > the sorce is evntagnt. also i looked in the system
    > restore page and found out although system restore was
    > not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the
    > slider for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is
    > not bad news thx again
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
    >> Does the f partition show under Volume?
    >>
    >> Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of
    >> the restore. To do so go to Start - Run and type
    >> eventvwr.msc and press enter. If there are any found
    >> post the EventID and Source here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> cpate wrote:
    >>> after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access
    >>> my second hard drive. i`m prompt do u wish to partition
    >>> drive or no access to f drive which is my secondary
    >>> drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored
    >>> stuff

    yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and source from the
    previous reply. and both drives were there. thx

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?
    >
    > Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I don't think
    > this anything to do with the missing drive.
    >
    > Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the Application log
    > every time that you restart Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > cpate wrote:
    > > hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and
    > > the sorce is evntagnt. also i looked in the system
    > > restore page and found out although system restore was
    > > not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the
    > > slider for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is
    > > not bad news thx again
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
    > >> Does the f partition show under Volume?
    > >>
    > >> Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of
    > >> the restore. To do so go to Start - Run and type
    > >> eventvwr.msc and press enter. If there are any found
    > >> post the EventID and Source here.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > >> http://dts-l.org/

    also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB the c:/ drive is fine

    "cpate" wrote:

    > yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and source from the
    > previous reply. and both drives were there. thx
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?
    > >
    > > Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I don't think
    > > this anything to do with the missing drive.
    > >
    > > Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the Application log
    > > every time that you restart Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > > http://dts-l.org/
    > >

    > > cpate wrote:
    > > > hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and
    > > > the sorce is evntagnt. also i looked in the system
    > > > restore page and found out although system restore was
    > > > not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the
    > > > slider for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is
    > > > not bad news thx again

    They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk management.

    So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive shows the capacity
    to be empty in Disk Management and C:\ is fine.

    Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration" and finish
    the wizard.
    After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck the F:\ drive
    capacity and let me know what you find.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    cpate wrote:
    > also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
    > the c:/ drive is fine
    >
    > "cpate" wrote:
    >
    >> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and
    >> source from the previous reply. and both drives were
    >> there. thx
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?
    >>>
    >>> Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I
    >>> don't think this anything to do with the missing drive.
    >>>
    >>> Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the
    >>> Application log every time that you restart Windows XP
    >>> Service Pack 2:
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    i get a promt that says changes made to drive F:/ after this point cannot be
    reversed because the dive was either excluded from system restore monitoring
    or was turned off or removed.

    this doesn`t sound good thx

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk management.
    >
    > So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive shows the capacity
    > to be empty in Disk Management and C:\ is fine.
    >
    > Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration" and finish
    > the wizard.
    > After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck the F:\ drive
    > capacity and let me know what you find.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > cpate wrote:
    > > also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
    > > the c:/ drive is fine
    > >
    > > "cpate" wrote:
    > >
    > >> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and
    > >> source from the previous reply. and both drives were
    > >> there. thx

    while i was attempting your last suggestion, i received a prompt saying
    "changes made to F:/ drive after this point cannot be reversed because the
    drive was either excluded from system restore monitoring or was turned off or
    removed. i received that message the last time used system restore and yes i
    went ahead not understanding what it meant. i`ve used system restore before
    and didn`t have this problem thx

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk management.
    >
    > So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive shows the capacity
    > to be empty in Disk Management and C:\ is fine.
    >
    > Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration" and finish
    > the wizard.
    > After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck the F:\ drive
    > capacity and let me know what you find.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > cpate wrote:
    > > also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
    > > the c:/ drive is fine
    > >
    > > "cpate" wrote:
    > >
    > >> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and
    > >> source from the previous reply. and both drives were
    > >> there. thx

    I find it strange that SR would remove the data from this drive in the
    first place. If this was a data drive SR should not have been
    monitoring these files. SR only monitors system type files and not
    data files such as .doc .xls .jpg etc. I would suggest using one of
    these utility in hopes of recovering the lost data.
    Restoration download and review - file undelete utility from SnapFiles
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

    Look in Folder "File Recovery 3" for the next five applications
    PC INSPECTOR File Recovery
    http://www.pc-inspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    For more information on SR take a look here.
    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    cpate wrote:
    > while i was attempting your last suggestion, i received a
    > prompt saying "changes made to F:/ drive after this point
    > cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded
    > from system restore monitoring or was turned off or
    > removed. i received that message the last time used
    > system restore and yes i went ahead not understanding
    > what it meant. i`ve used system restore before and
    > didn`t have this problem thx
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk
    >> management.
    >>
    >> So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive
    >> shows the capacity to be empty in Disk Management and
    >> C:\ is fine.
    >>
    >> Open System Restore and select "undo my last
    >> restoration" and finish the wizard.
    >> After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck
    >> the F:\ drive capacity and let me know what you find.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> cpate wrote:
    >>> also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
    >>> the c:/ drive is fine

    i also get a prompt saying F:/ is not accesible the parameter is incorrect
    i have sampled the programs you`ve suggested. with no luck so far i think i
    just don`t know how to use it thoroughly thx

System Restore Windows XP