system restore

after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access my second hard drive.
i`m prompt do u wish to partition drive or no access to f drive which is my
secondary drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored stuff
--
music man

Hi,

Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
Does the f partition show under Volume?

Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the restore.
To do so go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
If there are any found post the EventID and Source here.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

cpate wrote:
> after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access
> my second hard drive. i`m prompt do u wish to partition
> drive or no access to f drive which is my secondary
> drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored
> stuff

hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and the sorce is
evntagnt. also i looked in the system restore page and found out although
system restore was not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the slider
for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is not bad news thx again

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
> Does the f partition show under Volume?
>
> Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the restore.
> To do so go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> If there are any found post the EventID and Source here.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> cpate wrote:
> > after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access
> > my second hard drive. i`m prompt do u wish to partition
> > drive or no access to f drive which is my secondary
> > drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored
> > stuff

Hi,

Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?

Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I don't think
this anything to do with the missing drive.

Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the Application log
every time that you restart Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

cpate wrote:
> hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and
> the sorce is evntagnt. also i looked in the system
> restore page and found out although system restore was
> not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the
> slider for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is
> not bad news thx again
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
>> Does the f partition show under Volume?
>>
>> Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of
>> the restore. To do so go to Start - Run and type
>> eventvwr.msc and press enter. If there are any found
>> post the EventID and Source here.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> cpate wrote:
>>> after i used system restore w/windows xp i can`t access
>>> my second hard drive. i`m prompt do u wish to partition
>>> drive or no access to f drive which is my secondary
>>> drive please help i hope i have`nt lost all my stored
>>> stuff

yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and source from the
previous reply. and both drives were there. thx

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?
>
> Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I don't think
> this anything to do with the missing drive.
>
> Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the Application log
> every time that you restart Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> cpate wrote:
> > hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and
> > the sorce is evntagnt. also i looked in the system
> > restore page and found out although system restore was
> > not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the
> > slider for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is
> > not bad news thx again
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Go to run an type diskmgmt.msc then press enter.
> >> Does the f partition show under Volume?
> >>
> >> Look at the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of
> >> the restore. To do so go to Start - Run and type
> >> eventvwr.msc and press enter. If there are any found
> >> post the EventID and Source here.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> >> http://dts-l.org/

also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB the c:/ drive is fine

"cpate" wrote:

> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and source from the
> previous reply. and both drives were there. thx
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?
> >
> > Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I don't think
> > this anything to do with the missing drive.
> >
> > Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the Application log
> > every time that you restart Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> > http://dts-l.org/
> >

> > cpate wrote:
> > > hello & thx alot. 2 event ids are 1003 & 1015 and
> > > the sorce is evntagnt. also i looked in the system
> > > restore page and found out although system restore was
> > > not turned off for my f drive (secondary drive) the
> > > slider for disk to use was on zero amount. hope this is
> > > not bad news thx again

They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk management.

So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive shows the capacity
to be empty in Disk Management and C:\ is fine.

Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration" and finish
the wizard.
After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck the F:\ drive
capacity and let me know what you find.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

cpate wrote:
> also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
> the c:/ drive is fine
>
> "cpate" wrote:
>
>> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and
>> source from the previous reply. and both drives were
>> there. thx
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Did you run diskmgmt.msc as suggested earlier?
>>>
>>> Here is a description of the event you are receiving. I
>>> don't think this anything to do with the missing drive.
>>>
>>> Event ID: 1003 and Event ID: 1015 are added to the
>>> Application log every time that you restart Windows XP
>>> Service Pack 2:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889082
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>>> http://dts-l.org/

i get a promt that says changes made to drive F:/ after this point cannot be
reversed because the dive was either excluded from system restore monitoring
or was turned off or removed.

this doesn`t sound good thx

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk management.
>
> So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive shows the capacity
> to be empty in Disk Management and C:\ is fine.
>
> Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration" and finish
> the wizard.
> After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck the F:\ drive
> capacity and let me know what you find.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> cpate wrote:
> > also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
> > the c:/ drive is fine
> >
> > "cpate" wrote:
> >
> >> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and
> >> source from the previous reply. and both drives were
> >> there. thx

while i was attempting your last suggestion, i received a prompt saying
"changes made to F:/ drive after this point cannot be reversed because the
drive was either excluded from system restore monitoring or was turned off or
removed. i received that message the last time used system restore and yes i
went ahead not understanding what it meant. i`ve used system restore before
and didn`t have this problem thx

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk management.
>
> So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive shows the capacity
> to be empty in Disk Management and C:\ is fine.
>
> Open System Restore and select "undo my last restoration" and finish
> the wizard.
> After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck the F:\ drive
> capacity and let me know what you find.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> cpate wrote:
> > also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
> > the c:/ drive is fine
> >
> > "cpate" wrote:
> >
> >> yes i ran diskmgmt.msc you should have the event ID and
> >> source from the previous reply. and both drives were
> >> there. thx

I find it strange that SR would remove the data from this drive in the
first place. If this was a data drive SR should not have been
monitoring these files. SR only monitors system type files and not
data files such as .doc .xls .jpg etc. I would suggest using one of
these utility in hopes of recovering the lost data.
Restoration download and review - file undelete utility from SnapFiles
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Look in Folder "File Recovery 3" for the next five applications
PC INSPECTOR File Recovery
http://www.pc-inspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

For more information on SR take a look here.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

cpate wrote:
> while i was attempting your last suggestion, i received a
> prompt saying "changes made to F:/ drive after this point
> cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded
> from system restore monitoring or was turned off or
> removed. i received that message the last time used
> system restore and yes i went ahead not understanding
> what it meant. i`ve used system restore before and
> didn`t have this problem thx
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> They are two different utilities. Event viewer and Disk
>> management.
>>
>> So that I understand you correctly, the F:\ drive
>> shows the capacity to be empty in Disk Management and
>> C:\ is fine.
>>
>> Open System Restore and select "undo my last
>> restoration" and finish the wizard.
>> After the system reboots run diskmgmt.msc and recheck
>> the F:\ drive capacity and let me know what you find.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> cpate wrote:
>>> also it showed 100% empty as far as the f drive 200 GB
>>> the c:/ drive is fine

i also get a prompt saying F:/ is not accesible the parameter is incorrect
i have sampled the programs you`ve suggested. with no luck so far i think i
just don`t know how to use it thoroughly thx