Sign in with
Your question

Some basic rules for THGC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2003 5:37:11 PM

Dear THGC members,

It’s my pleasure to personally welcome all of you here in the Tom's Hardware Community.

Please allow me to interrupt your busy reading and posting for a few minutes. I would like to emphasize the basic rules of this forum.

<b>It is of the <font color=red>UTMOST IMPORTANCE</font color=red> that each and every one of you acts courteously and respectfully! I don't want to see any personal attacks! Respect others so you will be treated with respect in return.</b>

We are here to exchange and help each other. There are no dumb questions and no dumb answers. If you happen to be more experienced than somebody else, please correct this person <b><font color=red>politely</font color=red></b> and don't attack. If you require help, don’t be afraid to ask.

I despise the word "Newbie" and all of its variations. I am sure that the experienced forum members will agree that they are better than making bad comments about new forum members.

We can make things happen if we all pull together. We can support inexperienced users who require a helpful hand, we can discuss issues of high political impact, and this special group of people here is well able to inspire new articles for Tom's Hardware that finally might make the difference you've always been wishing for.

I'm here to help, to listen, to discuss, and to learn. I hope we can all stay at good terms with one another. Unfortunately, it is also my job to reprimand THGC members that overstepped the line. It's a dirty old job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Please keep these rules as well as goals in mind when you visit this place. Visit often and make a difference!

Thanks for your time,

Thomas Pabst
Founder
Tom's Hardware Guide

More about : basic rules thgc

June 27, 2003 6:33:56 PM

Hear hear!

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
June 27, 2003 6:38:20 PM

How about putting some stickies? Like AGP FAQ, ect...
Related resources
June 27, 2003 6:49:59 PM

Heh, alot of us tend to not watch how we speak and end up being offensive I think because we're taking out work and life flusteration here... mainly because there is always a defineable 'target'... nvidiots, fanboyz, noobs, whatever tends to piss ya off, I really think it also tends to be worst in the Graphics forum and the Processor forms as they tend to have the most rabid fanbases in general (you just don't see people getting *that* excited about ide cables no matter how much they like em.)

Being that we now have a moderator to smack us down when need be, I think for the most part we'll try to play a little bit nicer and anyone who disagrees with that can go to bloody he... er well.

Welcome to the warmer, fuzzier Toms Hardware Guide Community Forums :) 

Just another bitter monkey,

Shadus
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2003 8:26:11 PM

I Second the request for a FAQ, and perhaps even make your/this initial post a sticky. If not stickies they could be made into links the way that the THGC album and such are, but only in the Graphics Card section. Of course this means making someone work a little more on the layout.

Thomas, Good luck!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
June 27, 2003 11:16:33 PM

*BUMP*
See, I saved this post from being lost in the 3rd page. I feel a reward is in order, 9800 pro perhaps? :) 
June 27, 2003 11:55:20 PM

rgr all of that

"War is like food, after eating the same thing several days in a row... it gets boring." - Me
June 27, 2003 11:58:59 PM

Another vote here for a FAQ (Cool! When did this become a democracy?)

Will AGP 8x give me a performace boost over 4x?
256MB over 128?
Why doesn't my ATI card work without uninstalling my old nVidia drivers?
Why doesn't my new super-d00per-mega-tachyon-speed graphics card work with my old 300 watt power supply?

-Just a few off the top of my head. :cool:

<font color=blue>Build a foolproof system and they'll build a better fool.</font color=blue>
June 28, 2003 1:09:10 AM

[enthusiasm]w00t w00t! I leveled![/enthusiasm]

<font color=blue>Build a foolproof system and they'll build a better fool.</font color=blue>
June 28, 2003 1:13:22 AM

While we are on the topic of FAQ, there should be one for the cpu's as well.
which is better? Intel or AMD?
Will my P4 2.6ghz with radeon 9500Pro run half-life 2/Doom 3?
I have $1000, should I upgrade now or wait till A64/ Prescott?
Is 60 degrees to hot for my Pentium/Athlon?

Obviously, this post belongs in the cpu section, but since we're on the topic......
June 28, 2003 2:39:56 AM

I also agree with the idea of a FAQ sticky, in each forum (cpu, graphics cards, etc.)

But I have one question for you Thomas.
If you despise the word "Newbie" so much, why is it one of the rankings given to forum members, according to their number of posts?

Just a thought. Maybe you should change that.

Also, did you really have to delete my post?
I thought it was good.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd
June 28, 2003 3:34:05 AM

You really should read the thread where he first came to post, to get an answer to your final question.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
June 28, 2003 3:35:59 AM

Add "Is Sapphire a good brand?", "Is BBA or PBA better?"

--
June 28, 2003 3:36:50 AM

Erm if you chose to set threads per page to 10, then yeah it is on your 3rd page but for some with 25 threads per page, then you bumped it for nothing.

NO 9800 FOR YOU!!!

--
June 28, 2003 3:38:36 AM

You specified your FAQs too much, try these:

-Which CPU will run Doom III/Half-Life well?
-Should I wait for Athlon 64/Prescott?
-How hot is too hot?
-HELP! :smile:

--
June 28, 2003 3:40:57 AM

The issue with FAQS as stickeys is that most of are actually THAT dumb not to bother even noticing.
Look at the RAM forum who has a RAM FAQ. Tell me if you haven't seen a "What is CAS" question.
It was answered yet people still ask.
The fact is most don't bother.
To make it truly interesting, put the FAQ during REGISTRATION, or use a BIG WARNING stating asking people to search before asking, or simply check the FAQ (which btw should be done and reviewed extensively and revised until it has answers that are clear, pertinent and really feel complete towards a question). For a warning, use the color red, and use BIG BOLD letters. It catches attention very well.

--
June 28, 2003 8:09:15 AM

I get the impression that some don't know what FAQ stands for. It couldn't hurt to just spell it out.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=38..." target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>
June 28, 2003 9:39:37 AM

Wow Thomas himself! Hello there.
I built my first PC with THG thumbs up. Back when who was AMD, slot A 650, ASUS K7V, Seagate HDD, Leadtek GF2 GTS 32mb. Something’s has changed, while others haven’t. I now have a P4P800, P4 2.8, still have WD120JB and a Leadtek GF 4 Ti4400.

The GF 4 has got to go though, and I’m waiting to see more reviews on the FX 5900U as more card makers start to ship for I can get my system squared away. :wink:

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
June 28, 2003 1:58:54 PM

cas is my girlfriend who puts out faster "to me :p " than a ford factory on steroids.

cas is short for cassandra

do i win something now?
June 28, 2003 1:59:53 PM

oh and hey there tom
the place has really grown up alot thru the years eh?
June 28, 2003 3:37:26 PM

I don't understand what your point is.

Frequently Asked Questions, stuff people ask a lot, even too much! That is my goal with a FAQ on Reg here, period.
What is wrong?

--
June 28, 2003 6:39:32 PM

Eden I think you post to much. you post like 5 little things when they could be consolodated into 1..... Totally unneccseary

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>
<i> They call em fingers, but I dont see them fing... Woah, there they go</i>
June 28, 2003 7:41:33 PM

I don't think that everyone knows that FAQ mean Frequently Asked Questions. So they just blow by the thread since they have no idea what it means. It doesn't matter if it's sticky or not.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=38..." target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>
June 29, 2003 1:18:35 AM

Try to reply to 5 people one by one in one post. It just isn't organized enough that way and the person who is targetted may disregard my post if not directed to her in the Reply To.
I'd understand if I replied to the same person though.

BTW why don't you go attack Tom who himself wrote 3 posts consecutively and two of them were directed at me?
Again if it were multiple ones at one person and the topic was the same, but you wanted to correct something you said, then yeah, you should compact (EDIT)the posts.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 06/28/03 09:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 29, 2003 5:16:41 AM

I made a thread called "Article 1, THGC Constitution".
It wasnt up for too long, so you may not have seen it:( 
Heh. I pretty much agreed with what Tom was saying.
I also agreed to toning down the flaming.

HEY IM NOT THE ONLY ONE THOUGH, just speaking for myself.

But Tom u still love me right? Cause I love you.
I want to be on the THG gaming clan!

I RULE AT ALL FPS' MAN!

I'm comin to MML3 so u better give me a tryout then!

What if I do something really crazy?
Like 10x better than shaving my head or something.

Plus just so you know Tom, Lars, etc. I advertise for THG on a daily basis at my school, place of work, and around town!

I have custom made t-shirts with your logo and stuff!

I would own Lucki at UT2k3!!!

Lol.

Im serious though.

June 29, 2003 11:44:27 AM

Good to see you around Thomas. I've been around here awhile & see how your presence has made a impact already. Look forward to reading & commenting in the future on a much improved forum, thanks.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!
June 29, 2003 4:46:57 PM

Maby instead of a sticky being called "faq", you could call it "first timers please read", and as Eden said, make it big, bold and red.
June 29, 2003 5:48:46 PM

16, why?

a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2003 3:39:43 AM

Yeah I suggested that a FAQ be your first intro after registration (about 2 mths ago during a discussion/flame war) where people are given a few Faq choices for the major sections. 3D chips and TV/Video cards could be included in the Graphics card Faq for example. Then once you've read the FAQ (or scrolled through it) for that forum you can post. This may be a bit of a programming undertaking though, that's the question. Voluntary FAQ would at least be something/a start.

And change the Option on the LEFT from FAQ to 'TIPS' or 'Tips for Posting'. Something like that, otherwise ther may be some confusion.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2003 3:41:27 AM

DH, No picking on, I mean hiting-on/picking-up the young people! :tongue:

June 30, 2003 6:12:22 AM

You just let me know when there's an attractive 21-30 year old woman around and I'll hit on her. Until then I'm sticking to computer related stuff on here.

a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2003 9:24:39 AM

I was refering to your questions to WS. :tongue:

And if there were any young ladies, you'd be the last person I'd tell. :wink:

And why would you think we'd talk about computer related stuff?

June 30, 2003 9:50:53 AM

He pretty good at FPSs. He's only 13 though.

If its not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
June 30, 2003 3:26:26 PM

Yeah but the left FAQ has questions for real, about icons and such. It'd need some renaming if so.

--
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2003 9:45:03 AM

Yeah that's why I'd rename it 'Tips for posting' (like I said above); Tips being rankings, icons, how to make a clickable link etc. Which is more appropriate and less confusing than 2 types of FAQs IMO.

July 1, 2003 5:59:13 PM

I think it will be helpful if Tom's Original post was made a sticky and this thread locked. This is turning into a My wishes thread :smile:

<font color=blue>Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love</font color=blue><font color=red><b><i>Jay Kay</font color=red></b></i>
July 1, 2003 7:49:30 PM

"Erm if you chose to set threads per page to 10, then yeah it is on your 3rd page but for some with 25 threads per page, then you bumped it for nothing.

NO 9800 FOR YOU!!!"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
July 1, 2003 7:51:13 PM

"I get the impression that some don't know what FAQ stands for. It couldn't hurt to just spell it out."

How abuot an FAQ about FAQ's?
July 1, 2003 7:57:43 PM

Don't listen to 14dx hes an asshat.
I'm 16.
And yes I'll own you all at FPS's.

a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2003 10:17:57 AM

That's what I said, the original post.

All this other stuff, like all other threads are ancillary.

July 2, 2003 12:16:09 PM

there was me thinking that Tom didnt actually exist, that somebody invented a figurehead for a community, oh well... guess I'm onto my next conspiracy theory now... is there a restaurant at the end of the universe ???

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2003 1:43:12 PM

Quote:
is there a restaurant at the end of the universe ???

Of course there is.

Want proof; Go to a Denny's (that food definitely couldn't come from this planet and taste that bad) then stand facing AWAY from the Denny's, now since the universe is somewhat circular (doghnut,moebeus,spheroid,etc), the restaurant at the end of your Universe is now THAT Denny's. :smile:

July 2, 2003 7:09:46 PM

Thats why they did that to make you think he is real. yoru conspricy still lives.
July 2, 2003 7:49:55 PM

I'll accept that there is a real live Tom Pabst. But if there's a Denny's at the end of the universe (whichever one you happen to be near - this partially explains the multiple parallel universes theory, with each universe terminating at a Denny's - to find the number universes just count up all the Dennys restaurants - also, most astronomists now think the universe is shaped like an oblate spheroid, and eating at Denny's enough will make a person's body look the same way - coincidence?) then there must be a <b>Denny</b> somewhere, right?

!