Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen

I can not use the ping command from the command or dos black screen. I am
hooked up wireless but cannot get anything done or checked in dos. Windows
help is useless. Frustrated after 8 hours
Have wireless hook up with adapter in computer with the problem. Have
windows firewall and Panda antivirus and firewall I think.

--
Karen

Do you get an error message when you try to use ping? Something like is an
invalid command or can't find path?

Open a command prompt...

Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
In the command prompt window type:

ping 127.0.0.1

Hit your Enter key.

You should see...

C:\>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E3EF9308-A0FC-42F3-8510-06173F04E80A@microsoft.com,
karen <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I can not use the ping command from the command or dos black screen.
> I am hooked up wireless but cannot get anything done or checked in
> dos. Windows help is useless. Frustrated after 8 hours
> Have wireless hook up with adapter in computer with the problem. Have
> windows firewall and Panda antivirus and firewall I think.
>
> --
> Karen

Karen

i get a message that says ping not reconized as an internal or external
command, batch file or executable command. My connections show i am
connected to the internet but I can't get anything to get out?? Is there a
phone number where someone can walk me through this. At this rate it will be
days before I get online.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Do you get an error message when you try to use ping? Something like is an
> invalid command or can't find path?
>
> Open a command prompt...
>
> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> In the command prompt window type:
>
> ping 127.0.0.1
>
> Hit your Enter key.
>
> You should see...
>
> C:\>ping 127.0.0.1
>
> Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
> Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
> Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
> Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
>
> Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:E3EF9308-A0FC-42F3-8510-06173F04E80A@microsoft.com,
> karen <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I can not use the ping command from the command or dos black screen.
> > I am hooked up wireless but cannot get anything done or checked in
> > dos. Windows help is useless. Frustrated after 8 hours
> > Have wireless hook up with adapter in computer with the problem. Have
> > windows firewall and Panda antivirus and firewall I think.
> >
> > --
> > Karen

Karen,

There are at least two possible problems. Ping.exe is not located in the
correct folder or your path in environment variables is not set correctly.

Ping.exe should be located in both of these folders >>
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ping.exe is the file that actually gets used.

Do a Search on your machine to see if/where ping.exe is located.

If you find ping.exe but it's not in C:\WINDOWS\system32, copy ping.exe from
where ever you found it and paste it into the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

If you don't find ping.exe at all we can address that later.

To check the environment variables...

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
When the command window opens type:

path

Hit your Enter key.

You should see something like this...

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\Support Tools\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\

You may see more or less than what I have here. C:\WINDOWS\system32 is the
important one in this case.

If you get another not recognized as an internal or external command, batch
file or executable command error when using the path command, then your path
needs to be fixed.

To change environment variables:
1. Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment variables.
4. Click on Path to highlight it and click the Edit button.
5. When the Edit System Variable window opens the contents of the Variable
value box are highlighted. Right click this and select Delete.
6. Paste this in the Variable value box:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

7. Click OK. OK. Apply. OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes