Palm OS IDE

July 8, 2005 3:24:53 AM

Hello,

I am trying to select the best IDE for Palm OS 5.0 development.
I want to implement a simple data collector application that will
synchronized with a PC desktop application (Access database).

My main requirements are:

1. Ability to use custom fonts, I want to use Greek characters and to
make sure
that my data will get transfered correctly to my PC desktop
application.
2. Bluetooth support
3. Good documentation and samples

Until now, I found the following:

Codewarrior: Very powerfull but it is very difficult to master. It has
a slow learning curve. Many people are complaining that it isnt't so
RAD as it should be.
Negatives: I don't want to program using the message queue.
Positives: The documention is overwhelming. There are many books,
newsgroups, samples etc.

PocketStudio: I feel like home with this one since I am a Delphi
developer. It is very easy.
Negatives: Their site and newgroup gave me the feeling that
PocketStudio is dying. Not much activity around the product. Lot of
questions are staying answered in their newsgroups.
Positives: I study some of the examples and it was quite easy to grasp
them.

Other good tools might be: OrbForms, Palmphi, NsBasic

Could you please tell me your opinion about what is the most suitable
tool for my requirements?

Thank you,
Bill

More about : palm ide

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:17:56 AM

Jacaranda Bill wrote:
> I am trying to select the best IDE for Palm OS 5.0 development.

> Codewarrior: Very powerfull but it is very difficult to master. It has
> a slow learning curve. Many people are complaining that it isnt't so
> RAD as it should be.
> Negatives: I don't want to program using the message queue.

You forgot to add "Metrowerks no longer sells CodeWarrior for
Palm OS and you can't buy a copy anymore" to that list of negatives.

Also, regarding the event queue, that is a feature of the
Palm OS platform itself. Any application you use will interact
with the event queue. It's possible that some development
environments include runtime support to hide that complexity,
but your application is still doing it regardless.

> Positives: The documention is overwhelming. There are many books,
> newsgroups, samples etc.

Another positive is that it is said to still have the best
support for producing ARM code, if you choose to write a PNO
to take advantage of the speed you can get from native code.
For instance, CodeWarrior supports global variables and virtual
functions (C++) in ARM code, while I believe all the other C/C++
compilers that target Palm OS ARM do not support that (yet?).

On the other hand, it seems like you are looking for something
that is not as low-level as even a regular C programming
environment, so it's possible you don't care about PNO
programming at all.

> PocketStudio: I feel like home with this one since I am a Delphi
> developer. It is very easy.

> Other good tools might be: OrbForms, Palmphi, NsBasic

I haven't used any of these four, so I have no opinion.

Other options are PODS (the Palm OS Developer Suite) that PalmSource
has released for free. It's past 1.0 now and is apparently pretty
usable for serious development. And PalmSource continues to improve
it. It's a C/C++ development environment and is based on gcc as the
compiler and a PalmSource-modified version of Eclipse for the IDE.
It is very likely the direction that C/C++ development is moving on
the Palm, since CodeWarrior is now out of the picture and since PODS
is officially supported by PalmSource and is available free of charge.

Another idea you might want to consider is developing in Java.
It's a little bit higher-level than C/C++ is, and although I
haven't tried developing in Java for the Palm, I think it's
reasonably well-supported, and it probably has a future. Plus,
the code you write could probably be ported to other J2ME devices
sort of easily.

- Logan
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:48:20 PM

Jacaranda Bill a écrit, le 08/07/2005 08:24 :

> I am trying to select the best IDE for Palm OS 5.0 development.
> I want to implement a simple data collector application that will
> synchronized with a PC desktop application (Access database).

Then, the answer is definitively "RAD". Unless you want to spend months
instead of a few weeks, RADs are really really the best tools to use
when databases and desktop synchronisation are involved.

> 1. Ability to use custom fonts,

This is probably the main issue with RADs...

> 2. Bluetooth support

<http://kb.palmsource.com/cgi-bin/palmsource.cfg/php/end...;

This is not exhaustive (if I've missed one, I'll be glad to add it to
the list), but I hope it's helpful.

> Could you please tell me your opinion about what is the most suitable
> tool for my requirements?

My opinion would be to check the ability to use custom fonts with the
Bluetooth-enabled RADs (AppForge, HB++, SatelliteForms), by having a
look at the web site and asking them (that way, you will know if the
documentation is clear and the support reactive). HB++ would probably be
a good choice, because, in addition to have database connectivity, it
also allows to use directly the system APIs. And it not too expensive
(you can even use the free version).

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...

HB++ seems to be the perfect IDE for my project. Thank you both for you