affinity abilities?

thanks again in advance
Drak

Drakwrote:

> Can you cast a Chrome mox without
> imprinting a card on it for color.

Chrome Mox
Artifact 0
Imprint - When Chrome Mox comes into play, you may remove a nonartifact,
nonland card in your hand from the game. (The removed card is imprinted on
this artifact.)
T: Add one mana of any of the imprinted card's colors to your mana pool.

Sure. The card says you *may* remove a card. Therefore you don't have
to if you don't want to.

> if you do that can you then tap it
> for colorless mana

No. Nothing on the card says you can tap it for colorless. You must tap
it for one of the colors possessed by the imprinted card. If there are
no such colors (because you didn't imprint a card, or because you somehow
managed to imprint a colorless card on it--note that the card's built-in
imprint ability prohibits lands and artifacts, making this rather difficult
to do), then you can't use the ability at all.

> or does it just
> allow you to cast it and use it for
> affinity abilities?

Yeah, that's about all it'll be good for. You could feed it to an Atog,
I guess.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Drak <drak@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Can you cast a Chrome mox without imprinting a card on it for color.

Certainly:

Chrome Mox 0 Artifact
Imprint -- When ~ comes into play, you may remove a nonartifact, nonland card
in your hand from the game. (*) / Tap: Add one mana of any of the imprinted
card's colors to your mana pool.

"you -may- remove": it's optional, on resolution.

>if you do that can you then tap it for colorless mana

Nope. "Colorless" is not a color; you can only get mana of one of the five
colors of Magic. Since there's no card, the ability will Do Nothing on
resolution, giving you no mana at all. (It's still a mana ability.)

>or does it just allow you to cast it and use it for
>affinity abilities?

Or for other things that require an artifact in play. Atog food, for example.

Dave

>If there are
>no such colors (because you didn't imprint a card, or because you somehow
>managed to imprint a colorless card on it--note that the card's built-in
>imprint ability prohibits lands and artifacts, making this rather difficult
>to do), then you can't use the ability at all.

Not correct. You can -use- the ability just fine - nothing stops you from
announcing it if you can pay the cost and either have priority or are being
asked to pay mana.

If you can't choose a color on resolution, the effect Does Nothing, and
finishes resolving, making no mana. Nothing illegal happened on announcement.

Dave

David DeLaney wrote:

>>If there are
>>no such colors (because you didn't imprint a card, or because you somehow
>>managed to imprint a colorless card on it--note that the card's built-in
>>imprint ability prohibits lands and artifacts, making this rather
>>difficult to do), then you can't use the ability at all.
>
> Not correct. You can -use- the ability just fine - nothing stops you from
> announcing it if you can pay the cost and either have priority or are
> being asked to pay mana.
>
> If you can't choose a color on resolution, the effect Does Nothing, and
> finishes resolving, making no mana. Nothing illegal happened on
> announcement.

Not doin' well lately. Maybe I'll just go back and read the Comp.
Rules front to back; looks like I need to.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Drak sez:

<<
>Can you cast a Chrome mox without
>imprinting a card on it for color.

Sure, thanks to the "you may" part. It just won't produce mana. It counts for
Affinity and Storm purposes (there are some Retract-o-Freeze decks out there
which use Retract, low-cost and Affinity artifacts, and Brain Freeze to deck
your opponent...)

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

Chris Mattern <matternc@comcast.net> sent:
> David DeLaney wrote:
[...]
>> If you can't choose a color on resolution, the effect Does Nothing, and
>> finishes resolving, making no mana. Nothing illegal happened on
>> announcement.
>>
> Not doin' well lately. Maybe I'll just go back and read the Comp.
> Rules front to back; looks like I need to.

Well... any ol' order will probably do. I'd start at 400 and spread
out from there. In fact, what you really want is a hyperlinked version
so it's easy to look up cross-references. Hmm, now there's an
interesting project for a rainy day.

--
-- zoe

TRENDING THREADS