grafted wargear and bounce

If you bounce a creature wearing Grafted Wargear, is it sacrificed
before it bounces?

It seems to me that it would be gone before it could be sacrificed,
since the equipment falls off when it's no longer in play.

Presumably, Fleetfoot Panther's bounce would work the same way as
Repulse and Unsummon.

Jon

Grafted Wargear
Artifact - Equipment, 3 (Fifth Dawn, Uncommon)
Equipped creature gets +3/+2. Whenever Grafted Wargear becomes
unattached from a creature, sacrifice that creature. Equip 0 (0: Attach
to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery. )

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:51:06 GMT, Jon Pugh wrote:

>If you bounce a creature wearing Grafted Wargear, is it sacrificed
>before it bounces?

No, since at the time the equipment notices it's no longer equipped to a
creature that creature is already long gone.

>It seems to me that it would be gone before it could be sacrificed,
>since the equipment falls off when it's no longer in play.

Correct. First the bounce effect resolves (returning the creature to its
owners hand), then the triggered ability is put onto the stack, failing
to do anything when it resolves because the equipee (er, the creature-
formerly-equipped-with-Grafted Wargear) is no longer in play.

>Presumably, Fleetfoot Panther's bounce would work the same way as
>Repulse and Unsummon.

Yes, there is no difference for this matter. Grafted Wargear triggers
only when the creature is actually returned to its owner's hand, and at
that time it's no longer around to be sacrificed. (Even if you managed
to put the card back into play before the triggered ability resolves,
you still wouldn't need to sacrifice it because it would be a brand new
creature with no ties to its earlier life.)

Ingo Kemper
--
__ _ __ __ __ __
__/ /_/ \/ /_/____/_ |___SkyGlider@uni-muenster.de___---===> \

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Jon Pugh wrote:

> If you bounce a creature wearing Grafted Wargear, is it sacrificed
> before it bounces?

No.

> It seems to me that it would be gone before it could be sacrificed,
> since the equipment falls off when it's no longer in play.

Correct.

> Presumably, Fleetfoot Panther's bounce would work the same way as
> Repulse and Unsummon.

In this case, yes.
--

David

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:51:06 GMT, Jon Pugh <jonpugh@frostbitefalls.com> wrote:
>If you bounce a creature wearing Grafted Wargear, is it sacrificed
>before it bounces?

No. It bounces; its leaving play _triggers_ the Wargear ability. A moment
later the ability goes onto the stack; some time later, it resolves and tells
you to sacrifice equipped creature ... which is long since no-longer-in-play,
so you can't sacrifice it. So you Do Nothing, and the ability finishes
resolving and vanishes off the stack.

>It seems to me that it would be gone before it could be sacrificed,

Yep.

>Presumably, Fleetfoot Panther's bounce would work the same way as
>Repulse and Unsummon.

Yes. If the creature leaves play, triggering the Wargear, the Wargear's
ability still goes on the stack and later resolves, but can't make you
do anything on resolution.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS