Second Opinions on Upgrades

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Qty Product Item # Unit Price Qty x Price

Power Supplies
Allied 400W Power Supply ATX400P4 w/ Two Fans ***AMD APPROVED*** UL, CSA, FCC Approved
Power Supply Type : ATX
Dimensions : 5.5 x 6.0 x 3.4 Inches
Cooling : Dual 2 Ball Bearing Fans
MTBF : 50,000 HOURS
Hi-Pot/Burn-In : 100%
Protection : All Outputs
Warranty : One Year
Approval: UL, CSA, FCC
Description: *Ideal for P3, P4 and AMD Systems
*AMD Approved
*8 large and 2 Small Leads
*2 double Ball Bearing Fans
*Color Retail Box
more info>
N82E16817154013 $33.99
$33 ea.@5+
$32 ea.@10+
$31 ea.@40+
$33.99

Processors
►On Sale! Intel Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor Retail Box
Specifications:
CPU: Pentium 4 P4 2.4BGHz Northwood
Type: Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 533MHz
Socket: P4 478
Retail Box (with Heatsink and fan) more info>
N82E16819116139 $160.00
$160.00

Software - PC Games
**This item is NOT REFUNDABLE, exchange for same exact item only!!**
INFOGRAMES Unreal Tournament 2003 - PC Game RETAIL
The sequel to 1999's multiple 'Game of the Year' award winner. It is a lightning-fast, no-holds-barred sport of the future, where warriors face off like the Gladiators of ancient Rome to determine the ultimate combatant. Super human reflexes, awesome weapons and the skill to use them effectively are what separate the good from the bad, the living from the dead, the victor from vanquished. Unreal tournament 2003 can be played alone, against computer-controlled "bots" or against human opponents via LAN or the Internet. more info>
N82E16832129102 $31.00
$31.00

Video Cards
POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9700 128MB GOLD DDR CRT+DVI+TV 8X AGP RETAIL ,NOT 9700 PRO

Chipset: RADEON 9700
Memory:128MB DDR
Bus:AGP 8X, doubles the peak bandwidth capability of the AGP bus to 2.1GB/s, while retaining compatibility with the previous-generation AGP 4X technology.
Supports 3D resolutions (32-bit color) up to 2048x1536
First to fully support DirectX 9.0 and the latest OpenGL functionality
Multi display configuration support with ATI HYDRAVISION software.
2x/4x/6x full scene anti-aliasing modes
Ports: VGA + DVI + S-video
Retail box (see pics for details) more info>

Does anyone have any second opinions about my upgrades. I have an Intel board (no AMD) and I need to stay under 560 dollars.

"War is like food, after eating the same thing several days in a row... it gets boring." - Me

Like I said before make sure you get what you paid for from PowerColor, they have a bad past of gvinig underclocked cards and bad memory.

JUST FYI, and the Second Opinion you asked for.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
So do you think I should an extra 30 or so dollars and go with FIC?

"War is like food, after eating the same thing several days in a row... it gets boring." - Me

Not if you can get a good return policy. Then if the Powercolor SUCKS then you can return it. IT's just a hit/miss isue. If it's worth the potential extra time of RMA'ing it then go with Powercolor, otherwise FIC might be worth the effort. But $30 is a bit of change. Sorry but it's really up to you. Were you going to do anythign with that $30 other than beer? :smile:
If so, and there's a good return policy, it's worth the risk. But at the SAME price I would've advised otherwise.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
God I hope this 9700 makes me happy. I am an avid half-lifer and people on Rage3d say that ATI + Half-Life = Shitty Gaming... well If so this is why I am ordering UT2k3 and hoping that will be a new addiction.

Yes there ARE some Half-life issues. Sorry but it's an old game, there are bound to be the occasional problem. UT2K# no Problem, RainBow Six 3 RavenShield No Problem (heck I played the DEMO for 10hrs yesterday (What it's my Day Off! [of 3]) with only lag problems, no real graphical issues.

Most of the Half-Life issues are resolved the only one I know of is a delay using ESC. There used to be a lock-up in CS when using ESC but that's been fixed. Check the Rage3D Catalyst thread, it's got alot of info on that.

Also just don't expect HI FPS on Half-life, t's old and not very efficient, so it won't show much improvement over a GF2/3 or even an MX in THAT game, but everywhere else your should do fine. Modern games do well with the R9700s, it's just the occasional few older ones that may cause you SLIGHT concern.

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I personally am giving up Half-Life when I get my new setup in, I think I wan't to move up to more powerful games such as Unreal and HL2, Doom 3 ect...

I don't think im going to upgrade anymore after this except maybe a mobo and better memory.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I don't think im going to upgrade anymore after this except maybe a mobo and better memory.
ROFLMAO! I'm sorry, but that's kind of like saying "I'm not going to buy any more after-market stuff for my car, except maybe a new engine and transmission." You were joking, right? Once the upgrade-bug bites you are DOOMED to continually upgrade <i>forever</i>.

<font color=blue>Build a foolproof system and they'll build a better fool.</font color=blue>

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I've heard of this.. this Upgradeitis..?

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Ill afford a new cardboard box my cable modem and my computer, everything else including the house im selling!

GamingGuru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Damn man... ive spent a total of 1100 on my computer in 6 months. is this bad?

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
The thing with upgrading is knowing when to do it. Last year i spent under £700 on a pc then £300 on a 3d card that will last me over a year. The result is so far this year ive only spent £270 on a new mobo/ram and cpu. Im all set for the rest of the year now :D

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=945569" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)