Self-pumping Timberwatch Elf

Timberwatch Elf - 1/2
Color= Green Type= Creature - Elf Cost= 2G
Text: {Tap}: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the
number of Elves in play

Say I have a tapped Llanowar Elves and an untapped Timberwatch Elf on board.
My opponent attacks with a 2/2 creature. Can I block with the Timberwatch Elf,
then as a fast effect, tap it to give itself +2/+2, thus killing the opponent's
creature and keeping the Timberwatch alive? I have heard of a similar effect
using Mishra's Factory just becoming a legal move.

Mrmagic715 <mrmagic715@aol.com> wrote:

> Say I have a tapped Llanowar Elves and an untapped Timberwatch Elf on
> board. My opponent attacks with a 2/2 creature. Can I block with the
> Timberwatch Elf, then as a fast effect, tap it to give itself +2/+2, thus
> killing the opponent's creature and keeping the Timberwatch alive? I have
> heard of a similar effect using Mishra's Factory just becoming a legal
> move.

They don't use the term "fast effect" anymore.

But yes, there is no reason you couldn't play that ability with
Timberwatch Elf as the target during the declare blockers step. And
doing so would not interfere with its combat damage.

309. Declare Blockers Step

309.1. As the declare blockers step begins, the defending player
declares blockers (this game action doesn't use the stack). Then any
abilities that triggered on blockers being declared go on the stack.
(See rule 410, "Handling Triggered Abilities.") Then the active player
gets priority and players may play spells and abilities.

306.2b Tapping or untapping a creature that's already been declared as
an attacker or blocker doesn't remove it from combat and doesn't prevent
its combat damage.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

mrmagic715@aol.com (Mrmagic715) writes:
z> Timberwatch Elf - 1/2
> Color= Green Type= Creature - Elf Cost= 2G
> Text: {Tap}: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X
> is the number of Elves in play
>
> Say I have a tapped Llanowar Elves and an untapped Timberwatch Elf
> on board. My opponent attacks with a 2/2 creature. Can I block
> with the Timberwatch Elf, then as a fast effect, tap it to give
> itself +2/+2, thus killing the opponent's creature and keeping the
> Timberwatch alive?

Yes. The declare blockers step (after declaring blockers, before
combat damage is assigned) is a perfectly acceptable time to play
instants or activated abilities. Changing a creature's power at this
time *will* affect how much combat damage it deals.

> I have heard of a similar effect using Mishra's Factory just
> becoming a legal move.

I'm not a big expert on older rules, but it's been legal for as long
as I've been playing Magic, and I believe that the last changes in
tapped-blockers-and-combat-damage were 5 years ago when 6th edition
came out. So it's not "just becoming" a legal move.

--
Peter C.
"The Boston cream pie shall be the official dessert or dessert emblem

On 16 Jun 2004 02:54:12 GMT, Mrmagic715 wrote:

>Say I have a tapped Llanowar Elves and an untapped Timberwatch Elf on board.
>My opponent attacks with a 2/2 creature. Can I block with the Timberwatch Elf,
>then as a fast effect

(The term "fast effect" is no longer in use for years, because it was
misleading.)

>, tap it to give itself +2/+2, thus killing the opponent's
>creature and keeping the Timberwatch alive? I have heard of a similar effect
>using Mishra's Factory just becoming a legal move.

Yes, provided that your Timberwatch Elf no longer suffers from summoning
sickness.

This did not "just become a legal move", by the way. It's always been
legal to do that. (Until five years ago tapped blockers didn't deal any
combat damage, though, so back then you would just have saved your
Timberwatch Elf without killing the other creature.)

Ingo Kemper
--
__ _ __ __ __ __
__/ /_/ \/ /_/____/_ |___SkyGlider@uni-muenster.de___---===> \

On 16 Jun 2004 02:54:12 GMT, Mrmagic715 <mrmagic715@aol.com> wrote:
>Timberwatch Elf - 1/2
>Color= Green Type= Creature - Elf Cost= 2G
>Text: {Tap}: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the
>number of Elves in play
>
>Say I have a tapped Llanowar Elves and an untapped Timberwatch Elf on board.
>My opponent attacks with a 2/2 creature. Can I block with the Timberwatch Elf,
>then as a fast effect, tap it to give itself +2/+2, thus killing the opponent's
>creature and keeping the Timberwatch alive? I have heard of a similar effect
>using Mishra's Factory just becoming a legal move.

Yes, you can (though "fast effect" hasn't been Magic terminology for quite
some time now). It's perfectly legal to block with the untapped Elf,
then later tap it; it's legal to do so during declare-blockers step, before
combat damage goes onto the stack; and doing so won't change whether the Elf
assigns or deals combat damage.

Note that to kill opponent's attacking creature, you'd want to do this
during declare-blockers step, BEFORE both of them put their combat damage on
the stack. If all you cared about was keeping the Elf alive (and not being
damaged yourself), you could wait until combat damage was already on the stack
to do this, but if you do that then the Elf only puts 1 combat damage on the
stack because it's still only 1/1 at the time combat damage is assigned in
that scenario.

Dave

Mrmagic715, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Timberwatch Elf - 1/2
> Color= Green Type= Creature - Elf Cost= 2G
> Text: {Tap}: Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the
> number of Elves in play
>
> Say I have a tapped Llanowar Elves and an untapped Timberwatch Elf on board.
> My opponent attacks with a 2/2 creature. Can I block with the Timberwatch Elf,
> then as a fast effect, tap it to give itself +2/+2, thus killing the opponent's
> creature and keeping the Timberwatch alive?

Yes, though "fast effect" is an obsolete term (and no longer serves much
purpose since 6E anyway).

> I have heard of a similar effect
> using Mishra's Factory just becoming a legal move.

If by "just" you mean "five years ago (almost exactly)", yeah.

(Actually you could do it even before then, except the Timberwatch Elf
would not deal any combat damage.)

On 16 Jun 2004 02:54:12 GMT, mrmagic715@aol.com (Mrmagic715) wrote:

>Can I block with the Timberwatch Elf,
>then as a fast effect, tap it to give itself +2/+2, thus killing the opponent's
>creature and keeping the Timberwatch alive?

Yes, you can do that. (Note:the term "fast effect" is deprecated.
Timber's ability is an "activated ability", which you can use any time
you have priority and can pay the required costs of the ability).