help with PCMCIA

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.setup,comp.sys.ms-windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a Del Inspiron 6000 running windows xp home edition
I recently purchased a Transcend 5-in-1 Adapter for the PCMCIA slot so I can
read Smart Media from my camera.
the instructions indicate I need to put the SmartMedia cart in the PCMCIA
read before plugging it into the computer where it will be recognized.

you guessed it - I do not see anything mounted. I have tried it as ADMIN and
normal user. I have tried add h/w wizard in Control Panel - again nothing.

any suggestions how to get this working?
3 answers Last reply
More about help pcmcia

    Hi Don,

    Is the Windows Image Acquisition service active?
    Are other devices recognized in that slot?
    Tried it on another system?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Don Simard" <donsimard@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Del Inspiron 6000 running windows xp home edition
    > I recently purchased a Transcend 5-in-1 Adapter for the PCMCIA slot so I
    > can read Smart Media from my camera.
    > the instructions indicate I need to put the SmartMedia cart in the PCMCIA
    > read before plugging it into the computer where it will be recognized.
    >

    > you guessed it - I do not see anything mounted. I have tried it as ADMIN
    > and normal user. I have tried add h/w wizard in Control Panel - again
    > nothing.
    >
    > any suggestions how to get this working?

    I do not know about the Windows Image Acquisition Service! How do I find
    out? How do I start it?
    This is new laptop and first PCMCIA device I tried. my son tried card in
    another system - he said he did not see it scan either so the card may be
    DOA.

    > Hi Don,
    >
    > Is the Windows Image Acquisition service active?
    > Are other devices recognized in that slot?
    > Tried it on another system?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Don Simard" <donsimard@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Del Inspiron 6000 running windows xp home edition
    >> I recently purchased a Transcend 5-in-1 Adapter for the PCMCIA slot so I
    >> can read Smart Media from my camera.
    >> the instructions indicate I need to put the SmartMedia cart in the PCMCIA
    >> read before plugging it into the computer where it will be recognized.
    >>

    >> you guessed it - I do not see anything mounted. I have tried it as ADMIN
    >> and normal user. I have tried add h/w wizard in Control Panel - again
    >> nothing.
    >>
    >> any suggestions how to get this working?

    Hi,

    >I do not know about the Windows Image Acquisition Service! How do I find
    >out? How do I start it?

    Start/run services.msc, look for it in the list. Double-click it and make
    sure that the startup type is set to automatic, and that the start opton is
    not available (this will indicate that it is already running)

    > This is new laptop and first PCMCIA device I tried. my son tried card in
    > another system - he said he did not see it scan either so the card may be
    > DOA.

    Always a possibility.

    --
    Best of Luck,