Benchmarking: Games

Julian_Wells

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003
I read with interest the dispute between Nvidia, Futuremark and Ati over cheating and the benchmarks. I am a relative novice so forgive me for the comment I am about to make if I am wide of the mark.

It seems to me that the whole structure of benchmark testing set up under Futuremark is highly suspect if not completely misleading. Imagine an education system where the questions set in major examinations were determined by a collection of lobbyists comprising the school govenors and teachers. Where the teachers were allowed to return to the classroom armed with the fore knowledge of what the questions in the examinations were going to be, and to be allowed to prep their students to answer each question in the manner that would achieve the highest marks. The results would show the abilities of the students to answer specific questions but would hardly reflect the student's abilities within the subject as a whole. In the same way these manufacturers have not only been allowed to determine how the tests were conducted but were also allowed to prepare their products to perform best under the specific testing regime established by themselves. These benchmarks were then passed onto the public as a 'true' reflection of a card's performance, when in fact it was on a reflection of a card's specific performance within a restricted crtieria.

Would it not be better for an independent consumer organisation to determine the benchmark tests away from the inference of the OEMS and manufacturers?

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
That's a very good question and I think that an independent testing group would be a great idea. However this is not possible in the present environment because both ATi and nVidia keep their respective cards' specifications a closely guarded secret. IMHO the answer is to force graphics card manufacturers to publish their specifications (like CPU manufacturers do).

But that's just what I think. :cool:

<font color=blue>Build a foolproof system and they'll build a better fool.</font color=blue>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I totally agree...if you go to intel or amd.com you get a ton of info at your disposal, it is very helpful for troubleshooting. If you go to ati.com or nvidia.com you get some info...but it is much less technical than at intel and amd. I think part of the reason for this (if i am not mistaken is) ati and nvidia do not produce their own chips they are contracted. They are more comparable to a motherboard manufacturer than a cpu manufaturer so if you really wana see the technical details of their cards it would be best to find out who makes their chips. If anyone knows i would be very interested to hear who these corporations are.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Um... no. Sure ATI and nVidia don't own the factories where their chips are made, but they DESIGN them, and make drivers for them, so they know EVERYTHING about them. They could easily give out extremely detailed information, like AMD and Intel do.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

TRENDING THREADS