Good OCing video card

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I know alot of you comming into this thread are thinking that i am talking about overclocking the core and memory on my video card...and i might...but i really wana know what video cards can handle a 100mhz agp bus. You see i would like to overclock my PIII 700 a bit further...i have a 440bx board though so the divider is stuck at 2/3. So whats best for this aplication, i heard from old articles back in the day that the nvidia cards were pretty good at taking these conditions. Before recomending a card you must remember that we are talking about a 2x agp interface here and i don't really wana spend too much on the card. Another question is, is the clock of a graphics card derived any way from the bus speed (example 100mhz core so the card has a 1.333x multiplier onboard times the 66mhz agp bus yeilding 100mhz) or does it have its own onboard clock generator? You have to keep in mind i am upgrading from a rage pro (8mb) and currently my system memory has a higher bandwith than my graphics memory so ANY improvment WILL help alot.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
No the GPU/VPU and memory speeds of the graphics card are in now way derived from the AGP bus speed.

100mhz is alot, but go ahead and try it if you want.
I don't know what card, if any, would handle those conditions best.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
thanx rick...what board(s)...how long have you been running your graphics cards with the bus overclocked at that speed (no adverse effects like polygons and stuff popping up)?