Cleanup step (and Hallow) question

Fabricated situation:

It's my opponents turn (end of turn step) and he is at 2 health. For
some reason I am going to loose in my next upkeep (eg. I have 6 life
and a Force of Nature I can't pay for).

In play I have a Vedalken Orrery, and I have a Vulshok Sorcerer in
hand. I play the Sorcerer and plan to tap it now and again before the
you-loose upkeep effect resolves, but he hits it with Hallow while it
is on the stack.

Also I have a way of making something trigger during the cleanup step
(I can pump a Spinal Parasite and then use all its counters, and Grave
Pact is in play).

Now, here (finally) is my question:
Hallow's damage prevention lasts untill end of turn (right?), and thus
stops at the beginning of the cleanup phase. So can I wait untill the
Grave Pact triggers, and then in response tap the Sorceror without him
gaining life and thus win the game?

Vulshok Sorcerer
{1}{R}{R}
Creature -- Human Shaman
1/1
Haste
{T}: ~this~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Hallow
{W}
Instant
Prevent all damage target spell would deal this turn. You gain life
equal to the damage prevented this way.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:
>It's my opponents turn (end of turn step) and he is at 2 health. For
>some reason I am going to loose in my next upkeep (eg. I have 6 life
>and a Force of Nature I can't pay for).

(2 "life".) Okay. This is when you use your Vedalken Orrery to cast an Eon
Hub, neatly cancelling the utter brokenness of the one with the other.,

>In play I have a Vedalken Orrery, and I have a Vulshok Sorcerer in
>hand. I play the Sorcerer and plan to tap it now and again before the
>you-loose upkeep effect resolves, but he hits it with Hallow while it
>is on the stack.

Hallow W Instant
Prevent all damage target spell would deal this turn. You gain life equal to
the damage prevented this way.

Okay. If you cast the Sorcerer during his end-of-turn step, you're fine; the
Hallow effect will wear off in his Cleanup step. (Yes, it will follow the VS
creature into play.) If you wait and cast the VS during your upkeep, in
response to the Force's triggered ability, then the Hallow effect will again
keep affecting it once it's in play, and now you're messed up.

>Also I have a way of making something trigger during the cleanup step
>(I can pump a Spinal Parasite and then use all its counters, and Grave
>Pact is in play).

Okay. If something triggers during Cleanup, or from one of the beginning-of-
Cleanup things? There will be ANOTHER Cleanup step after that one. So if
opponent manages to cast Hallow during his Cleanup step, it will still be
forced to wear off before his turn can end. A turn can't end with any "until
end of turn" effects still in effect, given the 6E/7E/8E End phase structure.

>Now, here (finally) is my question:
>Hallow's damage prevention lasts untill end of turn (right?), and thus
>stops at the beginning of the cleanup phase.

("step". "End" is the current phase.)

>So can I wait until the
>Grave Pact triggers, and then in response tap the Sorceror without him
>gaining life and thus win the game?

Sure, if he cast the Hallow during his end-of-turn step, before this cleanup
step. (Which traces back to "Sure, if you cast the Sorcerer during his end-of-
turn step", since he Hallowed it while it was still on the stack.)

Dave