More Nvidia Ion: Zotac's Mini ITX Mobos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
The prices on them are ridiculous. Granted the TDP is low on these cpus, but real world tests have shown that a lower power desktop platform has similar power and thermal needs as this overpriced ION platform with far greater performance on the cpu side as well. Take the following as an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500022 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard $134.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DCNQ1O/ref=asc_df_B001DCNQ1O775464/?tag=streetprices151-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B001DCNQ1O&linkCode=asn E5200 Processor $69.99

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
By the way the total for the above two component is under $205 so take that ION. No reason to get that ION for HTPC usage when this alternative is available. The only usage I can for see for that ION is inside a netbook.

G

I think this is a wonderful solution for a small home pc!
Only a pitty the system looks much larger than the Acer one.

I agree if I'd have to pay $200-$300 just for the mobo, that's insane!
The least they could do is provide a case included .

But I can understand they probably are starting out, and should lower prices as production and demand meet up.

I'm especially interested in the performance of the Ion platform powered by the dual Atom processor.
I understood from previous tests, that the Atom did not have enough power to playback blueray movies (do the decrypting), while the Nvidia graphics card is able to display 1080p HD content.

I haven't seen many benchmarks of the 2core Atom, so perhaps this system is able to decode blueray disks?

I'd love to see this atom pc powered by an AMD/ATI Radeon 4670 or something like that! Low power consumption, high power graphics!
Can you imagine having a Radeon 4670 powered PC, the size of an old VHS video tape? One that has enough processing power to play games like Prince of Persia, or WoW online,yet uses less power than your bedroom lightbulb?

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
ION sounded pretty sweet when it was first announced. Now that we see the prices, ain't so sweet no more. Just not worth it. Unless you want a netbook that you can game on.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I don't see any pci-express slots on that board. For an HTPC you're going to need at least 2 to add the tuners. (Sure you can use USB tuners, but I think the PCI-Express ones are better.)

Status
Not open for further replies.