banned cards in limited

Hi,

We had a discussion about whether there are banned cards in draft.
Some of us think that the ante cards (like Contract From Below)
are banned but others say no cards are banned in limited.
Can someone clear this up?
--

David

David de Kloet <dskloet@cs.vu.nl> writes:
> We had a discussion about whether there are banned cards in draft.
> Some of us think that the ante cards (like Contract From Below)
> are banned but others say no cards are banned in limited.
> Can someone clear this up?

Ante cards are not allowed in limited, but no other cards are banned.

If you open up an ante card in limited, I believe the procedure is to
alert a judge, who will replace the card with a random other card of
the same rarity from a pile the Tournament Organizer has.

However, after a quick search I can't find any document actually
saying so, so I have no idea where I got the above idea from.

--
Peter C.
"I'm not trying to hack into the system! Or again!"

Peter Cooper Jr. <pete@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:

> However, after a quick search I can't find any document actually
> saying so, so I have no idea where I got the above idea from.

Saturday School?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/rh126

"The only cards to have ever been banned from limited formats are
ante-cards, like Contract from Below. If a banned card in limited
appears in a booster, the card is immediately replaced with a random
card of the same rarity before proceeding."
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W. Johnson) writes:
> Peter Cooper Jr. <pete@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:
>> However, after a quick search I can't find any document actually
>> saying so, so I have no idea where I got the above idea from.
>
> Saturday School?
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/rh126

Yes, I remember reading it there now, but somehow I recall that while
I was reading it, I already thought that that (or something close to
it) was the answer.

Regardless, it seems like it should be in the rules somewhere,
although I suspect that Limited tournaments that include sets with
ante cards are few and far between...

--
Peter C.
"There are less differences of opinion when no one can come up with one."

David de Kloet <dskloet@cs.vu.nl> wrote:
>We had a discussion about whether there are banned cards in draft.
>Some of us think that the ante cards (like Contract From Below)
>are banned but others say no cards are banned in limited.
>Can someone clear this up?

The Banned/Restricted Cards page,
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/banned ,
is only for Constructed play - the Magic Floor Rules also don't mention
ante cards as being Banned in Limited. I seem to remember from somewhere
that they are, but can't put my finger on where that somewhere is.

Dave

sullivan

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:54:49 -0500, Daniel W. Johnson wrote:

> Peter Cooper Jr. <pete@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:
>
>> However, after a quick search I can't find any document actually
>> saying so, so I have no idea where I got the above idea from.
>
> Saturday School?
>
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/rh126

But shouldn't this be in a 'more official' document, too?
E.g. the 'DCI Floor Rules' for MtG should mention it IMO.

Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:54:49 -0500, Daniel W. Johnson wrote:
>
>> Peter Cooper Jr. <pete@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:
>>
>>> However, after a quick search I can't find any document actually
>>> saying so, so I have no idea where I got the above idea from.
>>
>> Saturday School?
>>
>> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/rh126
>>

> But shouldn't this be in a 'more official' document, too?
> E.g. the 'DCI Floor Rules' for MtG should mention it IMO.

Since there hasn't been an ante card printed since 1995, it's not _that_
important to have in there anymore. Not many people do limited events with
pre-5E product anymore, and those who do usually figure it out. I do believe
it was in there some years ago, but I don't keep records of the tournament
policy documents,

--
Rune Horvik, saturdayschool@horvik.com
Saturday School Guy

On 22 Jun 2004 21:35:31 -0400, David DeLaney wrote:

>The Banned/Restricted Cards page,
>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/banned ,
>is only for Constructed play - the Magic Floor Rules also don't mention
>ante cards as being Banned in Limited. I seem to remember from somewhere
>that they are, but can't put my finger on where that somewhere is.

It's in the DCI Universal Floor Rules.

Appendix B states that "Ante cards are found mainly in older Magic: The
Gathering expansions and are not allowed in tournament play" (with no
limitation to any type of tournaments, so this is also true for sealed
deck and draft tournaments).

Also, entry 5 ("Wagering") tells us that players and tournament
officials may not wager, _ante_, or bet on the outcome of any portion of
a tournament, and all ante cards include the text that they have to be
removed from a deck when not playing for ante.

Ingo Kemper
--
__/ /_/ \/ /_/____/_ |___SkyGlider@uni-muenster.de___---===> \