Scythe of the Wretched, when multiple creatures damaged by..

Here's the Scythe:

Scythe of the Wretched
{2}
Artifact -- Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+2.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped creature this turn is put
into a graveyard, return that card to play under your control. Attach
Scythe of the Wretched to that creature.
Equip {4}

What happens when a bunch of creatures damaged by the Scythe-equipped
creature hit the graveyard simultaneously? For instance, let's say
I'd put the Scythe on some Crypt Rats and managed to kill several 1/1
creatures with a single black mana.

Furthermore, if the rats die too (if I paid 3 blacks instead), would
the Scythe's ability still work fine?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Kunkel <NOSPAM-kunkel@w-link.net> wrote:
>Here's the Scythe:

Don't forget the +2/+2.

>Scythe of the Wretched 2 Artifact -- Equipment
> Equipped creature gets +2/+2. / Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped
> creature this turn is put into a graveyard, return that card to play under
> your control. Attach ~ to that creature. / Equip 4
>
>What happens when a bunch of creatures damaged by the Scythe-equipped
>creature hit the graveyard simultaneously?

It triggers once for each such creature; all the triggered abilities go on
the stack at once, in an order chosen by the Scythe's controller; they resolve
one by one, and for each one the Scythe pulls another creature into play and
moves to it. So it ends up on the LAST-gotten creature, the one whose triggered
ability was on the bottom of the stack.

> For instance, let's say
>I'd put the Scythe on some Crypt Rats and managed to kill several 1/1
>creatures with a single black mana.

The Scythe gets to trigger, note, even if the Rats are one of those creatures.

>Furthermore, if the rats die too (if I paid 3 blacks instead), would
>the Scythe's ability still work fine?

Yes. The Scythe's triggered ability triggers off creatures leaving play, so has
to look and see what the Scythe equipped just -before- the creature(s) in
question left play. At which time it's safely grasped in the Rats' paws, still.

Dave

On 24 Jun 2004 00:53:19 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>Rick Kunkel <NOSPAM-kunkel@w-link.net> wrote:
>>Here's the Scythe:
>
>Don't forget the +2/+2.
>
>>Scythe of the Wretched 2 Artifact -- Equipment
>> Equipped creature gets +2/+2. / Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped
>> creature this turn is put into a graveyard, return that card to play under
>> your control. Attach ~ to that creature. / Equip 4
>>
>>What happens when a bunch of creatures damaged by the Scythe-equipped
>>creature hit the graveyard simultaneously?
>
>It triggers once for each such creature; all the triggered abilities go on
>the stack at once, in an order chosen by the Scythe's controller; they resolve
>one by one, and for each one the Scythe pulls another creature into play and
>moves to it. So it ends up on the LAST-gotten creature, the one whose triggered
>ability was on the bottom of the stack.

But I would get to keep ALL the creatures? Only the one most recently
returned to play would actually have the Scythe attached, though?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Kunkel wrote:

> On 24 Jun 2004 00:53:19 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
> wrote:
>
>>Rick Kunkel <NOSPAM-kunkel@w-link.net> wrote:
>>>Here's the Scythe:
>>
>>Don't forget the +2/+2.
>>
>>>Scythe of the Wretched 2 Artifact -- Equipment
>>> Equipped creature gets +2/+2. / Whenever a creature dealt damage by
>>> equipped creature this turn is put into a graveyard, return that card to
>>> play under your control. Attach ~ to that creature. / Equip 4
>>>
>>>What happens when a bunch of creatures damaged by the Scythe-equipped
>>>creature hit the graveyard simultaneously?
>>
>>It triggers once for each such creature; all the triggered abilities go on
>>the stack at once, in an order chosen by the Scythe's controller; they
>>resolve one by one, and for each one the Scythe pulls another creature
>>into play and moves to it. So it ends up on the LAST-gotten creature, the
>>one whose triggered ability was on the bottom of the stack.
>
> But I would get to keep ALL the creatures?

Well, of course you will. Why wouldn't you? There's no clause on
the card that says you lose the creature if the Scythe isn't attached
to it.

> Only the one most recently
> returned to play would actually have the Scythe attached, though?

No, they each get the Scythe attached in turn. Then when the
next one comes into play, it attaches to *him*. When the
dust settles, the Scythe will be attached to the last creature
returned to play.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Rick Kunkel <NOSPAM-kunkel@w-link.net> wrote:
>>>Scythe of the Wretched 2 Artifact -- Equipment
>>> Equipped creature gets +2/+2. / Whenever a creature dealt damage by equipped
>>> creature this turn is put into a graveyard, return that card to play under
>>> your control. Attach ~ to that creature. / Equip 4
>
>But I would get to keep ALL the creatures? Only the one most recently
>returned to play would actually have the Scythe attached, though?

Yes, and yes. Scythe doesn't say anything about "Whenever a creature put into
play by ~ has ~ become unattached from it, sacrifice that creature" or anything
- the Scythe pulls the creature directly into play, independently of the
Scythe becoming attached to it a moment later.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS