Old cards playability.

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2004 9:14:43 PM

This is probably a FAQ. Is there a FAQ?

What is the oldest cards one can play with? There are some guys here
who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up in
any kind of competition/tournament. Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
usable?

Thanks.
--

QUIPd 1.02: (465 of 679)
-> Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.

More about : cards playability

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:14:44 PM

WhaleShark <whaleshark@mouse-potato.com> writes:
> This is probably a FAQ. Is there a FAQ?

There is a FAQ that gets posted occasionally I think, but I don't
recall seeing it recently. You may want to Google for it.

> What is the oldest cards one can play with? There are some guys here
> who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
> etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up in
> any kind of competition/tournament. Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
> usable?

It'd be difficult to play with 9th, seeing as it won't be released for
another year.

The cards usable in a tournament depend on the format of that
tournament. The "Standard" format, also called Type 2, only uses cards
from the last couple years. The "Vintage" formats, also called type 1
and 1.5, allow just about everything. The "Extended" format is
somewhere in-between.

See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/ba... for a
list of what's legal in each format. Note that since (for example)
Shock is legal in Standard, any Shock from any set (such as a 7th
edition one) is legal in a Standard tournament. The cards don't have
to physically be from those sets, but a card with the same name needs
to be.

Of course, if it's an unsanctioned casual event, you can allow
whatever you agree on.

--
Peter C.
Strip mining prevents forest fires.

WhaleShark, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> This is probably a FAQ. Is there a FAQ?
>
> What is the oldest cards one can play with?

Casually? Whatever your group can agree on. One rule that I understand
is gaining popularity is that you can play with any deck that would be
legal in *any* DCI-sanctioned tournament format.

In a tournament? Depends on the tournament.

If it's in the so-called Standard format, 8th Edition, Onslaught,
Legions, Scourge, Mirrodin, Darksteel (minus Skullclamp, currently the
only banned card in this format), and Fifth Dawn, plus any older cards
that have the same name as a card from one of these sets (for example,
you can play an Unlimited Edition Serra Angel since Serra Angel is in
8th Edition).

If it's Extended, anything since Tempest is allowed, including the basic
sets from 6th Edition onward. A few specific cards are banned from this
format, such as most of the notoriously broken cards from the Urza's
Saga block.

If it's Vintage (Type I or Type 1.5), cards from any set are allowed,
but there is an extensive restricted list (cards you can only have one
copy of) and a handful of banned cards for Type I. Everything
restricted or banned in Type I is banned outright in Type 1.5.

For more details:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/ba...

Note that for the casual format I mentioned above, basically any deck
that would be legal in Type I *OR* Extended will do, since none of the
banned cards in Extended are in Standard anymore.

> There are some guys here
> who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
> etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up in
> any kind of competition/tournament.

That would be extremely difficult, since 9th Edition won't be out for
some time.

> Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
> usable?

Only in the Vintage formats, except that you can use cards that old in
other formats if they have the same name as a card from a legal set. So
old Fireballs, Icy Manipulators etc are legal in Standard and Extended,
but Nevinyrral's Disk, for example, is not.
June 25, 2004 12:26:05 AM

WhaleShark <whaleshark@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>This is probably a FAQ. Is there a FAQ?

There are a whole bunch of FAQs. There is a FAQ periodically posted to the
group, full of basic questions. There are prerelease FAQs for each prerelease
since Nemesis ... hmmm, no, actually checking, they go back to Exodus.

>What is the oldest cards one can play with?

_All_ Magic cards are interoperable; the Oracle
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/oracle) shows you what the wordings
of older cards are currently considered to be.

In a Constructed tournament, generally various sets are specified as legal.
The kicker here is that any older (or newer) version of a card that's in
one of those sets is -also- legal to play in that tournament. Your Unlimited
Mountains are still playable today, for example.

>There are some guys here
>who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
>etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up in
>any kind of competition/tournament. Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
>usable?

Well, since 9th Edition isn't due out until NEXT YEAR, I'd say they're at least
a little off. Many (though not all) tournaments are what's called Type II,
in which, at present, seven sets are legal: 8E, ON, LG, SC, MD, DS, 5D. But,
as noted above, cards from any earlier set that are reprinted in one of those
sets? Are also quite legal in Constructed Type II tournaments.

[The exception is Alpha, which had different _corners_ from any other Magic
set at all; Alpha cards are only legal in sleeves AND only if you can't
tell at all through the sleeves that they're Alpha, which in practice means
re-sleeving every couple of matches.]

Cards from an earlier set that were NOT reprinted in one of the sets legal
for a given tournament aren't legal to use in that tournament. In addition,
Collector's Edition cards, Unglued cards other than the basic lands, and
Portal/Starter cards that have never been reprinted in any actual Magic set
are not DCI-legal (and never have been [yes, regardless of whether they're
in sleeves or not]).

Dave
June 25, 2004 2:19:27 AM

WhaleShark wrote:

> This is probably a FAQ. Is there a FAQ?
>
> What is the oldest cards one can play with?

You can play with all your cards; they're all still good and as long
as you consult Oracle for the current proper wording, you should be
good to go.

> There are some guys here
> who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
> etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up

And up? Ninth is the most recent main edition of Magic. There's no
"and up". Are they perhaps referring to recent expansions?

> in
> any kind of competition/tournament.

Wrong. There are certain tournaments (Standard) where you are
restricted to recent cards. There are other tournaments where
"anything goes" (Classic)--although you are generally restricted
to playing one of any card of the Restricted list (a list of
unbalanced ubercards).

> Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
> usable?

Depends. In a Classic tournament, sure. In a Standard tournament,
you can use 5th ed or Ice Age editions of cards that have been
reprinted in a legal Standard card set. For your casual games,
it'll be whatever your group decides, but there's no fundamental
reason you can't play them.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 7:19:08 PM

Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

>> What is the oldest cards one can play with? There are some guys here
>> who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
>> etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up in
>> any kind of competition/tournament. Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
>> usable?
>
> It'd be difficult to play with 9th, seeing as it won't be released for
> another year.

Oh, I'm sorry. I think I meant 8th? The guy I spoke to wasn't really
all that clear, but I understand exactly what is going on now. He was
trying to tell me the same thing you guys just did, he was just a bit
confused with the editions and the names. (Or I was)
I assume they want to play Standard tournaments, so this means I will
have to buy some new cards.

Thanks Peter, David and Chris, I appreciate your help.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (450 of 679)
-> "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:19:08 +0200, WhaleShark
<whaleshark@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
>
>>> What is the oldest cards one can play with? There are some guys here
>>> who have started playing "casual" competitions (winning a booster pack
>>> etc) but they reckon you are only allowed to play with 9th and up in
>>> any kind of competition/tournament. Are 5th ed, Ice Age etc. cards still
>>> usable?
>>
>> It'd be difficult to play with 9th, seeing as it won't be released for
>> another year.
>
>Oh, I'm sorry. I think I meant 8th? The guy I spoke to wasn't really
>all that clear, but I understand exactly what is going on now. He was
>trying to tell me the same thing you guys just did, he was just a bit
>confused with the editions and the names. (Or I was)
>I assume they want to play Standard tournaments, so this means I will
>have to buy some new cards.

Make sure you check to see if your old cards have been reprinted.
Some of them may still be legal under the new sets, although it might
not be enough to actually play in a Type II/Standard tournament. It
still might save you a *little* money.

-- pseudosoldier
!