Radeon 9500/9700 on older board?

Sir_Timbit

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Hi all, I am in the process of slowly upgrading my old but trustworthy beast, an Asus P2L97 with a Celeron 533, Geforce MX, 256mb RAM, etc. Nothing fancy! But within the next month or so I plan on getting an Asus P4P800 Deluxe and a 2.8ghz P4c.

My question is on the video card! I heard I won't be able to use the Geforce MX on the new board, as the voltages on the older AGP cards are too high for the newer PCs. That's okay, as I will be replacing the graphics card with an ATI 9500 Pro.... But what I want to know is if I can put the 9500 Pro into my current board, or will that kill it? The Asus P2L97 has the Intel LX xhipset, which I think was the first one to support AGP(?) so I think it only supports AGP 1x, *maybe* AGP 2x. I want to get the 9500 Pro soon as it's been replaced by the 9600 Pro but all the benchmarks I've seen show it to be faster than the 9600 Pro.

Thanks in advance!

R9500Pro AGP 2X = ok, AGP 1X = NO Good (IIRC).

R9600Pro No good for either, AGP 4X/8X only.

MMMmmm Timbits, and a Large Double-Double please!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya timbit:

As you say it all depends on which AGP standard your video card adhears to.

I cant be sure because you didnt give any specific information about the graphics card other then its an MX.

Im trying to remember, and i was thinking the MX didnt appear untill the second generation of the Geforce was out which is the GeForce 2, if that is the case then your Geforce 2 MX is AGP 2.0 compliant and will run on an AGP 2.0 compliant motherboard. If i am thinking wrong and the MX came out during the first generation of the Geforce then it is AGP 1.0 Standard and is not AGP 2.0 compliant and will not work on an AGP 2.0 compliant ONLY motherboard.

As far as the Radeon 9500 pro is concerned, it is AGP 2.0 compliant, and it is NOT backwards compatible to the AGP 1.0 standard and will NOT run on your old motherboard if it is AGP 1.0 compliant ONLY as you say, as the voltages are incompatible and you will fry your Radeon, this is of course assuming you have a Pro slot and it will interface with it at all.

Here is a makeshift Chart and keymap to help you understand the AGP Standards.

AGP 1.0 - 3.3v
AGP 2.0 - 1.5v & *3.3v
AGP 3.0 - 0.89v & *1.5v

■ represents backwards compatability with the previous AGP standard.

*Note*
Not all motherboards and or video cards are backwards compatible to the previous AGP standard.

XeeN<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XeeNRecoiL on 06/30/03 05:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I seriously doubt that. I'm fairly certain that the 9500 series and 9700 series have the same compatabilities, and the 9700 series is AGP 3.0/2.0/1.0 compliant. Look at Tom's CPU charts, he tested a Radeon 9700 on an old Pentium 166MMX system based on a VIA MVP3 (AGP 1.0) chipset board!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your board is AGP 2x, and it's AGP 1.0 compliant. Tom's tested the 9700 Pro on several AGP 1.0 boards, it worked fine. I'm fairly certain the 9500 series has the same compatabilities.

I'm hearing the 9600 series is only AGP2.0/3.0 compliant. That's possible and likely, because it's a newer core on a smaller die process that uses lower voltages which would require more amplification to be 1.0 compliant.

I'm certain the 9700's will work, fairly sure the 9500's will work, and doubltfull the 9600's will work, on the P2L97.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya crashman:

thats intresting, i figured there would be no need for ATI to offer AGP 1.0 compliance on that new of a card, i didnt actually go research it and find out.

i cant be right all the time but i try -=P

XeeN

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would have been disappointed if they haden't! I had a top notch BX based system that would have LOVED the 9700 Pro when it came out last year!

Yes, look at Tom's CPU charts, they were done using a 9700 Pro.