Pulse of the Forge, Cosmic Larva - Upkeep Timing

Pulse of the Forge
{1}{R}{R}
Instant
Pulse of the Forge deals 4 damage to target player. Then if that
player has more life than you, return Pulse of the Forge to its
owner's hand.

Cosmic Larva
{1}{R}{R}
Creature -- Beast
7/6
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Cosmic Larva unless you
sacrifice two lands.

My opponent ends their turn, I untap. Can I now tap the three
mountains I control and cast POTF before I sacrafice two of the lands
to keep the CL?

Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
> Pulse of the Forge
> {1}{R}{R}
> Instant
> Pulse of the Forge deals 4 damage to target player. Then if that
> player has more life than you, return Pulse of the Forge to its
> owner's hand.
>
> Cosmic Larva
> {1}{R}{R}
> Creature -- Beast
> 7/6
> Trample
> At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Cosmic Larva unless you
> sacrifice two lands.
>
> My opponent ends their turn, I untap. Can I now tap the three
> mountains I control and cast POTF before I sacrafice two of the lands
> to keep the CL?

Yup. At the beginning of your upkeep, the Larva's triggered ability
goes on the stack. In response, you cast the Pulse. After the Pulse
resolves (and nobody does anything more), the triggered ability
resolves and you can choose to sacrifice two lands.

--
Peter C.
"Did the table do something wrong?"

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:10:56 -0400, pete@cooper.homedns.org (Peter
Cooper Jr.) wrote:

>Lophophora <nope@nope.com> writes:
>> Pulse of the Forge
>> {1}{R}{R}
>> Instant
>> Pulse of the Forge deals 4 damage to target player. Then if that
>> player has more life than you, return Pulse of the Forge to its
>> owner's hand.
>>
>> Cosmic Larva
>> {1}{R}{R}
>> Creature -- Beast
>> 7/6
>> Trample
>> At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Cosmic Larva unless you
>> sacrifice two lands.
>>
>> My opponent ends their turn, I untap. Can I now tap the three
>> mountains I control and cast POTF before I sacrafice two of the lands
>> to keep the CL?
>
>Yup. At the beginning of your upkeep, the Larva's triggered ability
>goes on the stack. In response, you cast the Pulse. After the Pulse
>resolves (and nobody does anything more), the triggered ability
>resolves and you can choose to sacrifice two lands.

That's what I thought, thank you.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:50:35 -0500, Lophophora <nope@nope.com> wrote:
>Pulse of the Forge 1RR Instant
> ~ deals 4 damage to target player. Then if that player has more life than
> you, return ~ to its owner's hand.
>
>Cosmic Larva 1RR Creature -- Beast
>7/6 Trample At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ unless you sacrifice
> two lands.
>
>My opponent ends their turn, I untap. Can I now tap the three
>mountains I control and cast POTF before I sacrafice two of the lands
>to keep the CL?

Yes. CL's ability will -trigger- as your upkeep starts; it's a triggered
ability, since it starts with "when", "whenever", or "at". It's not a
triggered mana ability, so it goes on the stack and waits for responses,
before it can resolve. Pulse of the Forge is an Instant, so can be cast in
response to anything else that uses the stack... so yes, you can respond to
the Larva's upkeep-triggered ability, before it resolves and makes you
sacrifice anything, with that Pulse spell.

Dave