Creating XP installation disk

I received an e mail from HP in responce to telling them that I can't access
control panel from start menu except in safe mode.
They mentioned the D:\i386 command which refers to the upper CD drive . (My
drive is the rewritable type) They mentioned the installation disk. XP came
preinstalled in my computer when it was purchased & it supports both the
factory CD drives. Do I have to create an installation CD or or use the
eight HP recovery CD's or something else?
3 answers Last reply
More about creating installation disk

    "mathewbailey08" <mathewbailey08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I received an e mail from HP in responce to telling them that I can't
    >access
    > control panel from start menu except in safe mode.
    > They mentioned the D:\i386 command which refers to the upper CD drive .
    > (My
    > drive is the rewritable type) They mentioned the installation disk. XP
    > came
    > preinstalled in my computer when it was purchased & it supports both the
    > factory CD drives. Do I have to create an installation CD or or use the
    > eight HP recovery CD's or something else?

    Your first recovery disk should contain your Windows files.

    Another thing: they said as a correction c:\i386.
    I'm supposed to enter it during restore. Are they referring to system
    restore? If so, enter it when creating a system restore point?

    "DJ Borell" wrote:

    > "mathewbailey08" <mathewbailey08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I received an e mail from HP in responce to telling them that I can't
    > >access
    > > control panel from start menu except in safe mode.
    > > They mentioned the D:\i386 command which refers to the upper CD drive .
    > > (My
    > > drive is the rewritable type) They mentioned the installation disk. XP
    > > came
    > > preinstalled in my computer when it was purchased & it supports both the
    > > factory CD drives. Do I have to create an installation CD or or use the
    > > eight HP recovery CD's or something else?
    >
    > Your first recovery disk should contain your Windows files.

    go to c:\I386\setup.exe

    > Another thing: they said as a correction c:\i386.
    > I'm supposed to enter it during restore. Are they referring to system
    > restore? If so, enter it when creating a system restore point?
    >

    > "DJ Borell" wrote:
    >
    >> "mathewbailey08" <mathewbailey08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >I received an e mail from HP in responce to telling them that I can't
    >> >access
    >> > control panel from start menu except in safe mode.
    >> > They mentioned the D:\i386 command which refers to the upper CD drive .
    >> > (My
    >> > drive is the rewritable type) They mentioned the installation disk. XP
    >> > came
    >> > preinstalled in my computer when it was purchased & it supports both
    >> > the
    >> > factory CD drives. Do I have to create an installation CD or or use
    >> > the
    >> > eight HP recovery CD's or something else?
    >>
    >> Your first recovery disk should contain your Windows files.

Hewlett Packard CD-Rom Windows XP