Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mousepointer makes icon in taskbar disappear

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 4:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

All of a sudden when I want to open a program by rightclicking the
respective icon in the taskbar the icon dispappears as soon as the
mouse pointer hits the icon. The icon is for my Kerio firewall.

Has anyone a clue what the problem could be


A second problem which bothers me refers to the taskbar itself. On my
win xp home I do not know how to line all the icons (9) back onto one
single line. While trying to solve above issue I must have changed
something and the icons now show in a block on 3 lines

Thanks, Karen
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:22:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The first problem means the program has terminated, it hasn't updated the
taskbar to tell it so it still displays it until you move your pointer near
it.

For the second problem, put your cursor near the edge of the taskbar, when
it changes to a double ended arrow, click and drag until the taskbar is only
one row high.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Karen Nogan" <kanog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 0c88e$3vi$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>
>
> All of a sudden when I want to open a program by rightclicking the
> respective icon in the taskbar the icon dispappears as soon as the
> mouse pointer hits the icon. The icon is for my Kerio firewall.
>
> Has anyone a clue what the problem could be
>
>
> A second problem which bothers me refers to the taskbar itself. On my
> win xp home I do not know how to line all the icons (9) back onto one
> single line. While trying to solve above issue I must have changed
> something and the icons now show in a block on 3 lines
>
> Thanks, Karen
>
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thank you Mark
I could solve the first issue.
For the second, however, I just cannot make it one row high again.
When i drag the taskbar I can make it go from 2 rows high (that's how
it is now, although the icons are in 3 rows) to not visible at all,
i.e. also the start button and the quick launch icons on the left
disappear.
Any other solution to this strange behavior?
Karen


"Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote
> The first problem means the program has terminated, it hasn't
updated the
> taskbar to tell it so it still displays it until you move your
pointer near
> it.
>
> For the second problem, put your cursor near the edge of the
taskbar, when
> it changes to a double ended arrow, click and drag until the
taskbar is only
> one row high.
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>
> "Karen Nogan" <kanog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 0c88e$3vi$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> >
> >
> > All of a sudden when I want to open a program by rightclicking
the
> > respective icon in the taskbar the icon dispappears as soon as
the
> > mouse pointer hits the icon. The icon is for my Kerio firewall.
> >
> > Has anyone a clue what the problem could be
> >
> >
> > A second problem which bothers me refers to the taskbar itself.
On my
> > win xp home I do not know how to line all the icons (9) back onto
one
> > single line. While trying to solve above issue I must have
changed
> > something and the icons now show in a block on 3 lines
> >
> > Thanks, Karen
> >
>
>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:01:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Karen Nogan" wrote:
>
> (snip) For the second, however, I just cannot
> make it one row high again. When i drag the
> taskbar I can make it go from 2 rows high (that's
> how it is now, although the icons are in 3 rows)
> to not visible at all, i.e. also the start button
> and the quick launch icons on the left
> disappear. Any other solution to this strange
> behavior?


Several possibilities are under the "Advanced" settings under the
"Appearance" tab of Display Properties, including font sizes, icon sizes,
icon spacing, title bar sizes, and others. You can check this real quickly
by clicking the "Themes" tab, saving the current settings as a new theme
(using a new name), and then applying the "Windows XP" default theme
(assuming you haven't changed that -which you never should). If the taskbar
can now be adjusted properly, it was one of the settings in the previous
theme. Lay out your display again, starting from the default Windows XP
theme, saving your new settings (using any name except Windows XP) when
finished. If changing themes did not fix your problem, you can always return
to your previous settings by simply selecting the theme saved under the name
you chose above.

Stewart
!