Gimli

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

Hi,

I have a situation:

I played Tooth and Nail with entwine to search for Eternal Witness and
Darksteel Colossus. Can I get back the same Tooth and Nail using Eternal
Witness ability ?

G.

"Gimli" <gimli_dwarf@interia.pl> writes:
> I played Tooth and Nail with entwine to search for Eternal Witness and
> Darksteel Colossus. Can I get back the same Tooth and Nail using Eternal
> Witness ability ?

Yup. Here's the detail:

- You play Tooth & Nail with Entwine, your opponent doesn't respond,
and so it starts resolving.

- You search your library for the 2 cards, reveal them, put them into
your hand, shuffle your library, and put the 2 cards into play. At
this time, the Eternal Witness triggers, but it doesn't go on the
stack yet.

- The Tooth & Nail is done resolving, and so it goes into your
graveyard.

- At this time, the active player (most likely you) would get
priority, so we check for state-based effects and triggers waiting
to go on the stack.

- You put the Eternal Witness trigger on the stack, choosing the Tooth
& Nail in the graveyard as the target.

- Assuming that nobody has anything else to do at this time, the
trigger resolves, and the Tooth & Nail goes into your hand.

Perhaps that was too detailed an answer, but I wanted to say more than
just "yes".

Please post again if you have more questions.

--
Peter C.
"The IPng WG has selected a packet format which includes 1696 bytes of

Gimli <gimli_dwarf@interia.pl> wrote:
>I have a situation:
>
>I played Tooth and Nail with entwine to search for Eternal Witness and
>Darksteel Colossus. Can I get back the same Tooth and Nail using Eternal
>Witness ability ?

Yes.

Eternal Witness 1GG Creature -- Human Shaman
2/1 When ~ comes into play, you may return target card from your graveyard to
your hand.

The sequence of events:

You announce Tooth and Nail, putting it on the stack; you choose "both modes";
you pay 7GG.
Pass, pass.
Tooth and Nail resolves; you search your library, and decide to get the Witness
and the Colossus (I'm assuming here that neither one was already in your
hand),and put them into your hand; you shuffle. You then put them both from
your hand into play; the Witness ability triggers.
Tooth and Nail finishes resolving and goes to your graveyard, from the stack.
State-based effects are checked for.
Triggered abilities go on the stack; this includes the Witness' ability. You
choose the target for it as part of this... and the Tooth and Nail, which
recently appeared in your graveyard, is eligible.
Pass, pass.
The Witness ability resolves; you pick that Tooth and Nail up out of the
graveyard and put it into your hand.

Dave