Question about Persecute

I think this is a trivial question but things in Magic are not always as you
read them!

I have Persecute -

Persecute
{2}{B}{B}
Sorcery
Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards
of that color from it.

Question: can it be used against Artifacts? I know it says to choose a
olor - to me Artifacts are "any-color", i.e. you can use any color to pay
their mana cost. Am I right in stating that Artifacts are "colorless"? So is
colorless an *official* Magic Color? I really think not - but look forward
to you comments.

NazMan

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:43:31 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>I have Persecute -
>
>Persecute 2BB Sorcery
> Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards
> of that color from it.
>
>Question: can it be used against Artifacts?

No; you have to choose a color, not a permanent type, card type, or spell type.

>I know it says to choose a
>olor - to me Artifacts are "any-color", i.e. you can use any color to pay
>their mana cost. Am I right in stating that Artifacts are "colorless"?

Artifacts are in fact "colorless", which isn't one of the five colors of
Magic. You can't choose "colorless", "silver", "purple", "brown/beige", "land",
"artifact", "Elf", "opponent", etc., when asked to choose a color - you've only
got five choices (red, white, green, black, blue) you can make.

>So is
>colorless an *official* Magic Color? I really think not - but look forward
>to you comments.

"Colorless" is not a color. It's the lack of any color(s). (It's one of the
32 possible _sets_ of colors - the one containing no colors at all - but it
is not one of the five colors whose combinations compose these sets.)

Dave

NazMan wrote:

> I think this is a trivial question but things in Magic are not always as
> you read them!
>
> I have Persecute -
>
> Persecute
> {2}{B}{B}
> Sorcery
> Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all
> cards of that color from it.
>
> Question: can it be used against Artifacts?

No.

> I know it says to choose a
> color - to me Artifacts are "any-color", i.e. you can use any color to
> pay their mana cost.

No, they are not "any-color"--they are colorless, as they have no
color mana requirement.

> Am I right in stating that Artifacts are "colorless"?

Yes, that is the term.

> So
> is colorless an *official* Magic Color? I really think not - but look
> forward to you comments.

No, colorless is *not* a color. Colorless is the lack of *any* color.
There are only five colors: white, blue, black, red and green. The
color(s) of a card is determined by the color(s) of mana required to
play it. A card can be one color, several colors at once
("multicolored"--sometimes referred to as "gold", but please don't do
that) or no color whatsoever ("colorless"). Thus Persecute can *never*
affect artifacts because no matter which of the five colors you name,
the artifact will not be that color--it isn't *any* color.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

NazMan sez:

<<
>I think this is a trivial question but things in Magic are not always as you
read them!

>I have Persecute -
>
>Persecute
>{2}{B}{B}
>Sorcery
>Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards
>of that color from it.
>
>Question: can it be used against Artifacts? I know it says to choose a
>olor - to me Artifacts are "any-color", i.e. you can use any color to pay
>their mana cost. Am I right in stating that Artifacts are "colorless"? So is
>colorless an *official* Magic Color? I really think not - but look forward
>to you comments.

Colorless means exacly that: "having no color." Thus, colorless isn't a
color. So Persecute can't touch colorless cards like artifacts and lands...

Colorless is a mana type, though (which leads me to believe the guys in Design
have a red mana randomizer up their sleeve...)
----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com