Question Ping Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

monroe2117

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I play a lot of internet golf. I wonder if my "ping" rate is low enough for effective gaming. I know what my rate is (26ms) but I don't have any standard by which I can compare my rate with a norm. What is considered a "low" ping rate? It's my understanding that the lower the rate, the better the quality. Is that correct?

Also, what is considered a fast download speed and upload speed? Thanks.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Depends on which ping you're measuring. Is this ping what you see from running a test like speedtest.net or pinging a website in command prompt? Or is this ping what's actually reported to you in-game by the game? Ping is a measure of latency between your computer and whatever server or client to which its connecting so a high enough ping causes you to lag in-game. If your 26ms ping is what's actually reported in-game by the game's menus, then your ping is exceptionally good. If your 26ms ping is what was measure by running a test at speedtest.net or something, then your ping is probably just about the norm from my experience. But that's also only your latency to the outside world.

Your ping will also differ between different gaming servers as well. If you have a 26ms ping running speedtest.net, then that's your latency to the outside world basically and it's good. So if you join gaming servers that consistently give you a really high ping, then you should be able to resonably assume you have a bad/laggy connection with just that server and not all servers. Just for something measure by though, I play games that are highly dependent upon a low ping/lag connection like MMO's and FPS's (WoW and BF:BC2 for examples) and my pings usually stay below 150ms and it's a good connection. When ping starts getting into the 300's then you're going to notice some lag in some games, not all.

Hope that helps. Anybody feel free, if I've misinformed on anything, to tell me I'm full of sh*t.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

I think up to 150ms is easily playable. But yea, with FPS games probably being the worst to compensate lag in, you'll notice lag much quicker than other games. WoW wouldn't really affect me until the latency was much higher, but I never pvp'd either. But I also consider the fact that I used to come from 56k dial-up up to as recent as 2002 when I graduate high school lol. Once you learn to compensate, even pinging 300ms didn't keep me from tearin it up in TFC. Man those were the days. Might have even played some of ya'll back in the day :p

Samboc

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I believe the ping of 26 is a fault. Combined error with speedtest.net and some sort of restriction/fault in the computer.

I have 1 computer showing 26 ping but a slow 1.33 mbps. If I unplug the cable from this computer and plug it into another I get a ping of about 43 and a download speed of 13 mbps. This 1st computer has faster spec but is noticably slower with downloads.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.