Very basic laptop battery questions

I am thinking of ordering a wireless Dell Inspiron 1150.

This would be my first notebook computer. I have a question about the
battery choices which are:

65 whr 8-cell versus 96 whr-12 cell.

Ok, the Dell site indicates the latter will have about 500 charge/discharge
cycles versus 300 for the former.

But, how long will these lithium ion batteries hold a charge. That is, once
fully charged, how many hours of use until they need to be charged again.
Does one last, say for 2 hours and the other 3 hours, or are they the same
in that regard.

Also, if I run the laptop on AC power, is the battery being used at all??

(Told you these were basic questions!)

Mel
4 answers Last reply
More about very basic laptop battery questions

    MB_ wrote:

    > I am thinking of ordering a wireless Dell Inspiron 1150.
    >
    > This would be my first notebook computer. I have a question about the
    > battery choices which are:
    >
    > 65 whr 8-cell versus 96 whr-12 cell.
    >
    > Ok, the Dell site indicates the latter will have about 500
    > charge/discharge cycles versus 300 for the former.
    >
    > But, how long will these lithium ion batteries hold a charge. That is,
    > once fully charged, how many hours of use until they need to be charged
    > again. Does one last, say for 2 hours and the other 3 hours, or are they
    > the same in that regard.
    >
    > Also, if I run the laptop on AC power, is the battery being used at all??
    >
    > (Told you these were basic questions!)
    >
    > Mel
    my wife's lasts about 3 hours. remember the Insp 1150 is a desktop
    replacement laptop so it has a power hungry desktop cpu inside. If you
    want long battery life you will need to look for ones with a real laptop
    cpu.

    But is there a difference between the batteries?

    Mel
    "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > MB_ wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking of ordering a wireless Dell Inspiron 1150.
    >>
    >> This would be my first notebook computer. I have a question about the
    >> battery choices which are:
    >>
    >> 65 whr 8-cell versus 96 whr-12 cell.
    >>
    >> Ok, the Dell site indicates the latter will have about 500
    >> charge/discharge cycles versus 300 for the former.
    >>
    >> But, how long will these lithium ion batteries hold a charge. That is,
    >> once fully charged, how many hours of use until they need to be charged
    >> again. Does one last, say for 2 hours and the other 3 hours, or are they
    >> the same in that regard.
    >>
    >> Also, if I run the laptop on AC power, is the battery being used at all??
    >>
    >> (Told you these were basic questions!)
    >>
    >> Mel
    > my wife's lasts about 3 hours. remember the Insp 1150 is a desktop
    > replacement laptop so it has a power hungry desktop cpu inside. If you
    > want long battery life you will need to look for ones with a real laptop
    > cpu.

    In article <yhDAd.40428$Fb5.1592@fe06.lga>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
    says...

    > I am thinking of ordering a wireless Dell Inspiron 1150.
    >
    > This would be my first notebook computer. I have a question about the
    > battery choices which are:

    <snippety>

    Suggestion, outside of the battery choice (which others will, no
    doubt, have better comments on than I do).

    Instead of an Inspiron, get a Latitude. They may cost a bit more,
    but I really think they're better built and longer lasting.

    > Also, if I run the laptop on AC power, is the battery being used at all??

    It's being charged in the background.

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    MB_ wrote:

    > But is there a difference between the batteries?

    oops, sorry. about 2 hours for the smaller and 3 hours for the larger.

Dell Laptop Battery Computers