Few quick hot questions

Greetings and salutations,

I have a few question that may seem basic but they involve rather common
situations so hear this out:

1. When cycling a Decree Of Justice, after I pay the cycling cost, do I draw
the card and then tap lands for soldiers or I have to produce mana for the
desired number of soldats? PLease elaborate.

2. I have an Oblivion Stone in play and my opponent plays a Viridian Shaman.
If I activate the stone in response to the shaman's CIP ability, the Shaman
hits the graveyard?

3.If I Mindslave an opponent, and cycle an Eternal Dragon for him, I do not
HAVE TO find the land, right? I merely scout his library, but I find no
land. Is this correct?

4. If I Oxidize Solemn Simulacrum in response to his comes into play
ability, does the opponent still draw a card?
Similiar, if I Oxidize a Chrome Mox in response to imprint, can I prevent my
opponent from obtaining mana from the Mox?

5. Is it common for Wizards to award players with the greatest number of
tournaments played in a country with a paid trip to the Worlds in SF?
(rather nice gesture, first time I've heard of it)

6. How exactly can you determine a player tried to bribe you? Can you call
the judge if you witness bribery?
If two players make no obvious arrangement, but clearly one concedes at some
breaking point of the tournament in favor of the other, and they do know
each other and may have plotted the payoff away from the crowd, how can a
judge determine a case of bribery?

7. If a country has no high level judge for Nationals, can Wizards send one?
(a bit optimistic, but hey...)

That is all. Thanks a lot for answering!

--
To have no sword,
for all under Heaven.

"Griffis" <griffis/spamoff/@net.hr> writes:
> I have a few question that may seem basic but they involve rather common
> situations so hear this out:

Sure. Questions are fun.

> 1. When cycling a Decree Of Justice, after I pay the cycling cost, do I draw
> the card and then tap lands for soldiers or I have to produce mana for the
> desired number of soldats? PLease elaborate.

Here's the blow-by-blow:

- You announce that you are cycling Decree of Justice
- You put the "Draw a Card" ability on the stack and pay the cycling
cost ({2}{W}, discarding the card)
- The Decree's triggered ability triggers and goes on the stack.
- (Assuming nobody wants to do anything else) The triggered ability
resolves. At this point, you may pay {X}. You choose whether or not
you will, and choose the value of X. Since you're being asked to pay
mana, you may play mana abilities. You then pay the mana out of your
mana pool. (Note: you could have added mana to your mana pool at
some point before this, but that would usually be a suboptimal plan,
as your opponent could Stifle the ability and you'd be left with
mana in your mana pool.) You then get X tokens.
- (Also assuming nobody wants to do anything else), the "Draw a card"
ability resolves.

> 2. I have an Oblivion Stone in play and my opponent plays a Viridian Shaman.
> If I activate the stone in response to the shaman's CIP ability, the Shaman
> hits the graveyard?

Yes. However, the CIP ability is still on the stack, and if it still has
a legal target (such as an artifact with a Fate counter on it), that
artifact will get destroyed when the ability resolves.

> 3.If I Mindslave an opponent, and cycle an Eternal Dragon for him, I do not
> HAVE TO find the land, right? I merely scout his library, but I find no
> land. Is this correct?

Yes. When you are "search"ing for something with a particular
characteristic in a hidden zone (such as a library), you are not
required to find it. He will still shuffle his library, though.

> 4. If I Oxidize Solemn Simulacrum in response to his comes into play
> ability, does the opponent still draw a card?

Yes.

> Similiar, if I Oxidize a Chrome Mox in response to imprint, can I prevent my
> opponent from obtaining mana from the Mox?

Yes. Your opponent can still play the Mox's ability in response to the
Oxidize, but as there are no imprinted cards on it at that time, it
won't do anything.

Note that you can Oxidize in response to the imprint to keep him from
getting mana, or you can Oxidize after the imprint to make him lose
the imprinted card. You can't really do both.

> 5. Is it common for Wizards to award players with the greatest number of
> tournaments played in a country with a paid trip to the Worlds in SF?
> (rather nice gesture, first time I've heard of it)

I've never heard of it. The list at <http://www.wizards.com/worlds>
under "Where and How to Qualify" doesn't mention such a thing,
although people with high ratings *do* get to qualify (and to get a
high rating, you have to play a lot of tournaments).

> 6. How exactly can you determine a player tried to bribe you?

Refer to section 161 of the Penalty Guidelines and section 25 of the
Universal Tournament Rules for the details. They're available at
<http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/utr/intro>

> Can you call the judge if you witness bribery?

Yes.

> If two players make no obvious arrangement, but clearly one concedes
> at some breaking point of the tournament in favor of the other, and
> they do know each other and may have plotted the payoff away from
> the crowd, how can a judge determine a case of bribery?

It's very very difficult. If you're not the judge, you don't have to
worry about it. If you are the judge, then you have to make tough
judgment calls.

> 7. If a country has no high level judge for Nationals, can Wizards send one?
> (a bit optimistic, but hey...)

Probably not, but I am not Wizards. I would guess that they *might* be
willing to fly someone out to a Major Event in order to get certified
at a high level if it was needed in the area. You may need to email
dci@wizards.com (or your local DCI office) for specifics.

> That is all. Thanks a lot for answering!

You're very welcome. Please post again if you have more questions.

--
Peter C.
"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep."