Telneting a Linux machine

Caligula

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
Hi all. I'm a newbie to Linux and installed Mandrake 9.0 and getting the feel of it.I have two pcs on my LAN connected to a d-link router and then sharing the cable modem.One pc is running Win XP (Pro) and other pc is runing with mandrake 9.0. They both access the internet thru the router and I can ping from both machines to each other. But the question is when I'm trying to telnet from Win XP to the Linux. it comes up with the error msg saying - "could not open connection to the host on port 23. No connection could be made bacuse the target machine actively refused it " -
So, it seems that I have to configure the Linux machine to accept the Telnet session from my Win CXP machine. Can one of you Linux gurus tell me how to do that ? I would highly appreciate that help very much. Thanking you all very much.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I believe you have not installed the package telnet-server. check if it is installed with

rpm -qa | grep "telnet"
If not install it (from your Mandrake Linux distribution)

rpm -i telnet-server.....

then...

type 'chkconfig --list|grep telnet' to check if the service is on. If it's off you can turn it on with 'chkconfig telnet on'.

chkconfig will update your /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file turning it on.

and reboot your machine. Then try again.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is also an option in the mandrake install under the security part where you can pick to automatically refuse all telnet connections... Might just be that.

SSH is better anyways :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.