Ferocious Charge + Scry

jokerman

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

I play Ferocious Charge on a creature I control
(Ferocious Charge: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
Scry 2 (Look at the top two cards of your library. Put any number of them on
the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
My opponent responds with Magma Jet (or any order direct damage spell or
ability) which
kills the creature I targetted with Ferocious Charge. Does the Scry ability
resolve?

My opponent states that the first part of the spell fizzles, so the second
part also fizzles.
I state that since the spell was legal when I played it (targets were chosen
etc.) I must
let resolve as many "parts" of the spell as possible. The +4/+4 fizzles, but
the Scry 2 resolves.

thanks!!

John Van Vooren

Jokerman wrote:
> I play Ferocious Charge on a creature I control
> (Ferocious Charge: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
> Scry 2 (Look at the top two cards of your library. Put any number of them on
> the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
> My opponent responds with Magma Jet (or any order direct damage spell or
> ability) which
> kills the creature I targetted with Ferocious Charge. Does the Scry ability
> resolve?
>
> My opponent states that the first part of the spell fizzles, so the second
> part also fizzles.
> I state that since the spell was legal when I played it (targets were chosen
> etc.) I must
> let resolve as many "parts" of the spell as possible. The +4/+4 fizzles, but
> the Scry 2 resolves.
>
> thanks!!

The targets are checked at two points. On annoucment, and on resolution.
If there are no legal targets on resolution, the spell is countered. The
whole spell. Nothing on the spell gets to do anything. at all.

--
From the mind of Andrew Kicks
--A heartless man,

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Jokerman wrote:

> I play Ferocious Charge on a creature I control
> (Ferocious Charge: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
> Scry 2 (Look at the top two cards of your library. Put any number of them on
> the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
> My opponent responds with Magma Jet (or any order direct damage spell or
> ability) which
> kills the creature I targetted with Ferocious Charge. Does the Scry ability
> resolve?
>
> My opponent states that the first part of the spell fizzles, so the second
> part also fizzles.
> I state that since the spell was legal when I played it (targets were chosen
> etc.) I must
> let resolve as many "parts" of the spell as possible. The +4/+4 fizzles, but
> the Scry 2 resolves.

If a spell or ability has one or more targets and all of them are
illegal on resolution, the spell is countered on resolution. So you
don't get to Scry, sorry.
--
David

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:05:30 +0200, Jokerman <johnvvnospam@skynet.be> wrote:
>I play Ferocious Charge on a creature I control
>(Ferocious Charge: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
>Scry 2 (Look at the top two cards of your library. Put any number of them on
>the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
>My opponent responds with Magma Jet (or any order direct damage spell or
>ability) which
>kills the creature I targetted with Ferocious Charge. Does the Scry ability
>resolve?

No. The _SPELL_ does not resolve - it has one target, and that target is
illegal on resolution, so the spell is COUNTERED. Countered spells do not
resolve and none of their effect takes place.

>My opponent states that the first part of the spell fizzles, so the second
>part also fizzles.

"Fizzles" isn't a usable Magic term, really. The spell gets _countered for
illegal target_, so goes to the graveyard from the stack without resolving
at all. There are not "two spells on the stack" or "two parts of one spell
on the stack separately" - it's all one spell.

>I state that since the spell was legal when I played it (targets were chosen
>etc.) I must
>let resolve as many "parts" of the spell as possible. The +4/+4 fizzles, but
>the Scry 2 resolves.

Nope. It was a -targetted- spell. All the targets were legal on announcement,
or else you could not have played it; all the targets were ILLEGAL on
resolution. That counters the spell.

If it had had more than one target, and some but not all became illegal, THEN
it still resolves, but can't affect the illegal target(s). But this isn't the
case here.

Dave