The Boys from Bangalore cost Dell one

I've been looking for a new computer and I saw a really great "today only"
website deal on a Dimension 8400 with lots of promotional features and
freebies thrown in. So I ordered one on line and it arrived quickly just a
few days later.

Unfortunately, the computer had several serious problems right out of the
box that required some detailed and very time consuming trouble shooting
over the phone with a Dell tech support girl who spoke the Rajah's English,
not the King's English. Much of the difficulty was caused by me not being
able to understand half of what she was telling me to do as she read from
some script-- every fourth sentence of which seemed to be "I am so sorry you
are having problem with your Dell computer."

Eventually she realized, as I had been telling her from the get-go, that she
had to dispatch a tech to my home to work on it or better still, just
replace it. The tech who came out was unable to repair it so he declared it
DOA and said to call Dell customer service to arrange a replacement. I
called them but they wouldn't do that without my first calling tech support
to get an authorization number.

After a whole lot of phone calls and back and forth with a series of
marginal English speakers about not replacing it with a refurb unit etc., I
finally got fed up with them and the delays and just said screw it-- "y'all
come pick it up, I'm done with it."

Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.

Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front to
be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could understand.

Ike

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.

Ira, have you heard about frying pan/fire? You are really jumping the wrong
way. I had that problem with Gateway, with Compaq and with Dell.
I listened to what people were saying and order the last one through Dell
Small Business and the English becomes understandable. BTW, small business
is from 1 to 2000 offices!!

Tom J

stay away from the consumer grade machines. Thats been my mantra for the
last 10 years ... Go with HP (or whomever) and get a business grade
machine. You will pay more, but the support will be much better, should it
be needed.

- NuTs

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been looking for a new computer and I saw a really great "today only"
> website deal on a Dimension 8400 with lots of promotional features and
> freebies thrown in. So I ordered one on line and it arrived quickly just a
> few days later.
>
> Unfortunately, the computer had several serious problems right out of the
> box that required some detailed and very time consuming trouble shooting
> over the phone with a Dell tech support girl who spoke the Rajah's
> English, not the King's English. Much of the difficulty was caused by me
> not being able to understand half of what she was telling me to do as she
> read from some script-- every fourth sentence of which seemed to be "I am
> so sorry you are having problem with your Dell computer."
>
> Eventually she realized, as I had been telling her from the get-go, that
> she had to dispatch a tech to my home to work on it or better still, just
> replace it. The tech who came out was unable to repair it so he declared
> it DOA and said to call Dell customer service to arrange a replacement. I
> called them but they wouldn't do that without my first calling tech
> support to get an authorization number.
>
> After a whole lot of phone calls and back and forth with a series of
> marginal English speakers about not replacing it with a refurb unit etc.,
> I finally got fed up with them and the delays and just said screw it--
> "y'all come pick it up, I'm done with it."
>
> Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.
>
> Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
> an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
> need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front
> to be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could
> understand.
>
> Ike

In article <RqEAd.6449$qf5.1686@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com says...

<snippety>

> After a whole lot of phone calls and back and forth with a series of
> marginal English speakers about not replacing it with a refurb unit etc., I
> finally got fed up with them and the delays and just said screw it-- "y'all
> come pick it up, I'm done with it."
>
> Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.

<snippety-two>

There's an old saying that happens to be one of my favorites.

"If you want the job done right, do it yourself."

Nowhere is this more true, to my eyes, than in the consumer
computer arena.

HP and Gateway are not going to be any better, and they may even
(especially in the case of Gateway -- you wouldn't believe some of the
stories I've heard) be worse.

If you want a decent computer, with hand-picked high-quality
components, one that's going to be useful to you for years to come, my
suggestion would be to do your homework, pick out the components, and
build it yourself. Yes, it may end up costing more than an off-the-shelf
model initially, but the long-term return on your investment (assuming
you pick the right stuff and put it together well) will be much greater.

When I upgraded my own system, I already had a nice case for it. I
ended up with a new power supply (PC Power and Cooling), motherboard
(Tyan Tiger MPX series), memory (Crucial 512MB ECC, a pair), and CPUs
(AMD Athlon MP2600's). I already had a nice 18GB UltraSCSI/LVD drive and
host adapter.

I spent about $700-$800 or so, and got one heck of a workstation
that I think would have cost a lot more had I tried to order it (that,
of course, assumes that any of the "white box" places stock components
as high-end as I chose to use. Tyan motherboards are not exactly in the
'consumer' realm).

This doesn't even count the value of the knowledge you gain about
computer innards.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Jim

And you think Gateway or HP is better?? Been on their boards lately?

Jim

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been looking for a new computer and I saw a really great "today only"
> website deal on a Dimension 8400 with lots of promotional features and
> freebies thrown in. So I ordered one on line and it arrived quickly just a
> few days later.
>
> Unfortunately, the computer had several serious problems right out of the
> box that required some detailed and very time consuming trouble shooting
> over the phone with a Dell tech support girl who spoke the Rajah's
> English, not the King's English. Much of the difficulty was caused by me
> not being able to understand half of what she was telling me to do as she
> read from some script-- every fourth sentence of which seemed to be "I am
> so sorry you are having problem with your Dell computer."
>
> Eventually she realized, as I had been telling her from the get-go, that
> she had to dispatch a tech to my home to work on it or better still, just
> replace it. The tech who came out was unable to repair it so he declared
> it DOA and said to call Dell customer service to arrange a replacement. I
> called them but they wouldn't do that without my first calling tech
> support to get an authorization number.
>
> After a whole lot of phone calls and back and forth with a series of
> marginal English speakers about not replacing it with a refurb unit etc.,
> I finally got fed up with them and the delays and just said screw it--
> "y'all come pick it up, I'm done with it."
>
> Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.
>
> Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
> an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
> need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front
> to be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could
> understand.
>
> Ike

First, you don't speak the King's English either.

Second, like it was said before HP/Compaq and Gateway will not be better.
The local PC makers will be better.

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been looking for a new computer and I saw a really great "today only"
> website deal on a Dimension 8400 with lots of promotional features and
> freebies thrown in. So I ordered one on line and it arrived quickly just a
> few days later.
>
> Unfortunately, the computer had several serious problems right out of the
> box that required some detailed and very time consuming trouble shooting
> over the phone with a Dell tech support girl who spoke the Rajah's
> English, not the King's English. Much of the difficulty was caused by me
> not being able to understand half of what she was telling me to do as she
> read from some script-- every fourth sentence of which seemed to be "I am
> so sorry you are having problem with your Dell computer."
>
> Eventually she realized, as I had been telling her from the get-go, that
> she had to dispatch a tech to my home to work on it or better still, just
> replace it. The tech who came out was unable to repair it so he declared
> it DOA and said to call Dell customer service to arrange a replacement. I
> called them but they wouldn't do that without my first calling tech
> support to get an authorization number.
>
> After a whole lot of phone calls and back and forth with a series of
> marginal English speakers about not replacing it with a refurb unit etc.,
> I finally got fed up with them and the delays and just said screw it--
> "y'all come pick it up, I'm done with it."
>
> Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.
>
> Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
> an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
> need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front
> to be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could
> understand.
>
> Ike

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out...

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello HP, Gateway, of maybe even my local white box assembler.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:27:29 GMT, "Ira Hayes"
<redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:

>Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
>an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
>need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front to
>be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could understand.

Sad to say, you are right, I'm afraid.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

And that's why there are vendor-independent newsgroups like
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell !!!

Happy New Year... Ben Myers

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:36:44 GMT, Paul Knudsen <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:27:29 GMT, "Ira Hayes"
><redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
>>an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
>>need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front to
>>be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could understand.
>
>Sad to say, you are right, I'm afraid.
>--
>Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
>http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

hummer

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

right, except 99.98% of buyers don't know what a newsgroup is.
and why the hell are people wasting their time doing dell support job and
getting nothing for it?
i think this newsgroup should be SHUTDOWN! unless of course dell wishes to
pay people here.
show me the rupees!!!

"hummer" <hummer@4wheeler.com> wrote in message
> right, except 99.98% of buyers don't know what a newsgroup is.
> and why the hell are people wasting their time doing dell support job and
> getting nothing for it?
> i think this newsgroup should be SHUTDOWN! unless of course dell wishes
> pay people here.
> show me the rupees!!!

Let me guess. Your real name is Carly Fiorina.

We're here to help because we're Dell owners and helpful people. You, on the
other hand, are wasting our time, which you accurately reflect is unpaid.

Go away!

Tom

"Tom Scales" <tom@scalesfamily.com> wrote in message

> "hummer" <hummer@4wheeler.com>

Tom, if everyone here did what I did, he would be no problem here.
USE your ignore/block/killfile or whatever your newsgroup reader calls it
and block all messages from him. No response and he moves on to other
groups.
Tom J

WareWolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

jim wrote in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell :
> And you think Gateway or HP is better?? Been on their boards lately?
>
> Jim

When I had a problem with my Gateway laptop, they got it fixed and back to me in
less time than they said.

I'm still waiting for the service call Dell said I was going to get yesterday.

JD

--
"The Devils' Right Hand" by J.D. Rhoades, AVAILABLE NOW from St. Martin's/Minotaur

Amazon.com page: http://tinyurl.com/5cn5b

In article <RqEAd.6449$qf5.1686@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com says...
> Dell makes a great computer for sure and they get it to you quickly and at
> an attractive price. But Lord help you if you have any kind of problem and
> need to talk to someone to get help. I'd be willing to pay more up front to
> be assured of getting the support I need from someone I could understand.

You're gonna get the same results with any other major manufacturer.

You're better off buying from a local computer store, or going back to
Dell, HP, Gatewayl, etc... and buying from the business division.

At least with Dell, consumer sales make up a *VERY* small part of
overall sales, but they account for over 85% of all service calls and
problems. So THAT is where Dell (and everyone else) cuts costs the
most.

With Dell, at least, all business support is done in the United States.
However, it's hit or miss as to whether or not you're gonna get anyone
with experience. They pay "tech minimum wage" for support people and
the turnover rate is extremely high. Whenever anyone gets really good,
they're off to a better paying job.

Pretty much the same story with the others as well.

In article <MPG.1c456062c0a35ca49897fe@news.usenetserver.com>, Bad
Bubba <bad@bubba.dude> wrote:

> You're gonna get the same results with any other major manufacturer.
>
> You're better off buying from a local computer store, or going back to
> Dell, HP, Gatewayl, etc... and buying from the business division.
>
> At least with Dell, consumer sales make up a *VERY* small part of
> overall sales, but they account for over 85% of all service calls and
> problems. So THAT is where Dell (and everyone else) cuts costs the
> most.
>
> With Dell, at least, all business support is done in the United States.
> However, it's hit or miss as to whether or not you're gonna get anyone
> with experience. They pay "tech minimum wage" for support people and
> the turnover rate is extremely high. Whenever anyone gets really good,
> they're off to a better paying job.
>
> Pretty much the same story with the others as well.

That may be true with the language barrier. But I have also noted
fantastic technical skills of those Indian and Malaysian Dell support
staffs. Their accent may take some getting used to, but it got me there
the quickest as they are invariably enthusiastic and take ownership of
my problem. Yet the other day I had a US based staff on the line with
just atrocious work attitude and could barely get me around the first
issue. And then there was the US based phone sale agent, who firstly
gave me the wrong information and then proceeded to screw up my account
by adding another order. That took me another 4 phone calls to her
colleagues to sort out.

Enough said.