Windows 7 Security Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
First.

No no just kidding, there will be real substance to this comment.
*ahem*

Its all good and well that they have these features here, but what is really going to make or break these is if they actually work. I've seen some security features backfire by opening up new exploits before, so in the end, it all comes down to launch day. I can already see hackers looking for exploits in the Beta, the launch version will be interesting enough.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Multiple Active Firewall Policies = Simply ties firewall settings to network profiles. So if an attacker wants to make a target's system more vulnerable, they just need to make it think it's on a safe corporate network.
DirectAccess = Since when is a properly configured VPN client difficult to use?
BranchCache = How does this compare to a caching proxy or Offline Files? Does this work with databases like Access? Might be useful for branch offices that are using consumer accounts with an ISP that has caps. Of course they could just get a normal business ISP connection.
BitLocker To Go = Nice but not really new as there are third-party apps that can do the same.
AppLocker = I guess it could be useful if you don't know how to lock down a desktop. So how does it handle a renamed application executable?

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
@jhansonxi: I'm pretty sure DirectAccess is designed to be an always on type thing which will make those pesky remote password change problems go away and with any luck it'll remove the hassle of training users to actually start the vpn connection after login. Remember for us professionals a vpn is easy but a lot of users just can't understand it properly.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
It's funny how most of these features are already present, some ancient, in "other" OSes. Still I suppose its good to see they're going in the right direction. I just hope these do not affect performance too much or be annoying like UAC.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
As long as we don't get the Local Connectivity only message when we plug into a modem the damn OS has never seen before. Infuriating, even with the firewall disabled. I hate Vista's network restriction.

I don't know how many laptops come back to me cause they can't get on the net off another ap somewhere else in the world, even a netsh reset won't fix the issue all the time, let alone a "repair" attemp, what a joke that is.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tim_tj[/nom]What are the other latest features of Windows 7 that makes it more better than the previous versions?[/citation]

Take your pick:

Improved CPU scalability (ie u actually get the extra grunt from ur quad core)
Better security thru revised UAC
Smaller memory foot print
Improved boot and reboot speeds
Revised and more useful interface

Plus many more I haven't listed and you probably wont notice in every day operation but will in 6 months when your computer doesn't need a rebuild due to viruses etc like all the XP people.

G

I don't even think I'm going to keep the beta of win 7.
I'll probably buy it in a year,when SP1 or SP2 comes out on the original disk.
For this time,I'll just use my XP OEM disk!

I see no reason to switch just yet, since I'm not a gamer.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
The names of the security features seemed way more enticing than the actual descriptions. I was like, WOW they are listening. Then I read the descriptions, and every single feature is for corporate users, not the average person trying to make their computer secure as well as responsive instead of nagging. He did state that they are trying to make all these features visible, so that the user can find them and use them, so that is at least a step in the direction I want Microsoft to be going as far as the OS is concerned. They spent the entire budget of Vista trying to hide everything behind the interface, maybe they are now trying to reveal some of these hidden items at last.

hksduhksdu

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
So if I am assuming the security feature is something like..

"Are you sure you want to run this program? this program may contain malicious code that may harm your computer".

But since this is Windows 7 so they may change the sentence a little bit..

"Are you sure you want to run this program? This is the 7th times we have warned you about this file type! This program may contain malicious code that may harm your computer".

:p

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hksduhksdu[/nom]So if I am assuming the security feature is something like.."Are you sure you want to run this program? this program may contain malicious code that may harm your computer".But since this is Windows 7 so they may change the sentence a little bit.."Are you sure you want to run this program? This is the 7th times we have warned you about this file type! This program may contain malicious code that may harm your computer".[/citation]

Actually the new UAC is much more benign than before. I can count on one hand the number of times its asked me if I'm sure in the last 3 months of use of the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.