Myr Incubator and Vedalken Archmage

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Playing a game the other night I had Vedalken Archmage about 7
affinity type artifacts and Krark-clan Ironworks in play. I drew Myr
incubator and sacrificed 6 artifacts to allow me to play and sacrifice
the incubator. drawing a card for playing it.
Now the question my opponent asked when I brought 28 artifact tokens
into play was have I not just decked myself since I must now draw 28
cards which I did not have.

Reading the text on both the Archmage and the incubator they both have
the word play which I think means I lost the game..... Is this true.

If it is it is a balanced good and bad thing. Good for drawing cards
with the affinity. bad in the fact it limites the 50 plus fireball I
was hoping would follow the 28 myr tokens comming into play......

Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> sent:
> Playing a game the other night I had Vedalken Archmage about 7
> affinity type artifacts and Krark-clan Ironworks in play. I drew Myr
> incubator and sacrificed 6 artifacts to allow me to play and sacrifice
> the incubator. drawing a card for playing it.

Vedalken Archmage {2}{U}{U} Creature -- Vedalken Wizard 0/2
/ Whenever you play an artifact spell, draw a card.

Myr Incubator {6} Artifact
/ {6}, {T}, Sacrifice Myr Incubator: Search your library for any number
of artifact cards, remove them from the game, then put that many 1/1
Myr artifact creature tokens into play. Then shuffle your library.

Yup, the Myr Incubator is a spell when you play it, so it triggers the
Archmage ability.

> Now the question my opponent asked when I brought 28 artifact tokens
> into play was have I not just decked myself since I must now draw 28
> cards which I did not have.

Nope. Playing the Incubator's ability isn't an artifact spell, so it
doesn't trigger the Archmage. When it resolves, it puts tokens into
play, and that isn't _playing_ anything, it's part of resolving the
Incubator's activated ability. So, it doesn't count as playing a spell
and it doesn't trigger the Archmage.

> Reading the text on both the Archmage and the incubator they both have
> the word play which I think means I lost the game..... Is this true.

False.

The Archmage triggers "whenever you play an artifact spell" - things
like playing the Myr Incubator or the Krark-Clan Ironworks from your
hand onto the stack.

The Incubator tells you to "put that many [...] tokens into play".
These come straight into play, without ever having been spells. They
can't possibly trigger the Archmage.

> If it is it is a balanced good and bad thing. Good for drawing cards
> with the affinity. bad in the fact it limites the 50 plus fireball I
> was hoping would follow the 28 myr tokens comming into play......

As an example, if you had a Blasting Station in play:

Blasting Station {3} Artifact
/ {T}, Sacrifice a creature: Blasting Station deals 1 damage to target
creature or player.
/ Whenever a creature comes into play, you may untap Blasting Station.

then you'd be able to untap it for each of those Myr. It triggers on
"whenever a creature comes into play", and doesn't care how the creature
arrives there. So, some things care about whether you've played a
spell of the right type, and some things care about whether something
of the right type came into play. You have to carefully check what
the trigger actually triggers on in each case.

--
-- zoe

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:53:20 GMT, Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Playing a game the other night I had Vedalken Archmage about 7
>affinity type artifacts and Krark-clan Ironworks in play. I drew Myr
>incubator and sacrificed 6 artifacts to allow me to play and sacrifice
>the incubator. drawing a card for playing it.
>Now the question my opponent asked when I brought 28 artifact tokens
>into play was have I not just decked myself since I must now draw 28
>cards which I did not have.

Nope.

>Reading the text on both the Archmage and the incubator they both have
>the word play which I think means I lost the game..... Is this true.

The word "play" is not the word "draw".

Furthermore, the verb phrase "put into play" is not the verb "play", either.

Myr Incubator tells you to _put_ artifact tokens "into play" - to create
them, _putting_ them into the in-play zone. It does not tell you in any
way to "play an artifact spell", from your hand or otherwise.

Vedalken Archmage tells you it triggers whenever you "play an artifact
spell" - which is to say, any time you CAST a spell from your hand that's
an Artifact card, or an Artifact Creature card. It doesn't say anything
about triggering "when an artifact comes into play", so it doesn't trigger
at all when Myr Incubator's ability gets used. (It will trigger fine off
of CASTING the Incubator SPELL in the first place.)

Dave

Phil sez:

<<
>Playing a game the other night I had Vedalken Archmage about 7
>affinity type artifacts and Krark-clan Ironworks in play. I drew Myr
>incubator and sacrificed 6 artifacts to allow me to play and sacrifice
>the incubator. drawing a card for playing it.
>Now the question my opponent asked when I brought 28 artifact tokens
>into play was have I not just decked myself since I must now draw 28
>cards which I did not have.
>
>Reading the text on both the Archmage and the incubator they both have
>the word play which I think means I lost the game..... Is this true.

No. This is a very common mistake. Playing an artifact spell and putting an
artifact into play are two different things. Your Myr tokens are never played
as spells, and thus never trigger the Archmage.

----
"I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right. Nobody
does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came along."
--Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever Jeopardy!
champion