Acer Aspire 5741 No power or lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hi im new to these forms but was hoping to get some help with my acer aspire 5741. The laptop is completely apart, and im pretty technical. when plugged in and/or with battery in there is now power, no lights, nothing. I checked the Power jack and i am getting 19 volts coming through. normally when plugged in a light comes on, but there is no light. the power brick is green and the laptop is getting power through the dc jack. i am really stuck on this and dont want to buy a new laptop. what should i do?

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
apart as in motherboard out of the case, so i took the top and bottom covers off, and the lcd. only thing connected to the motherboard right now is a cpu and cooling system (yes i had ram in when starting up)

Hi :)

If you have no experience on repairing laptops.....do this....

Very carefully collect all the pieces and every screw and take it to a local laptop repair company and pay them to fix it....

A laptop is NOT a PC....you cannot just strip it down and put it back together and expect it to work again unless you do it for a living...as I do...

All the best Brett :)

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
do you have any tips or any help at all brett? it would be greatly appreciated. im not trying to be ignorant, i simply would like to do this myself as i believe i can and do not want to spend 250 dollars on a new motherboard when the laptop cost 350.

G

I am a computer technician as well and it does sound like you know what you are doing. If you managed to get the mainboard out, test voltage after the jack at the board, you have ruled out the easy fixes. Only other possibility besides mainboard is cmos battery. I have seen a dead one do wierd things. Other that I would do ebay for used mb if the cost isn't too high. Good luck

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
i measured the voltage out of the power brick, 19.something, out of the jack (unplugged from mobo) 19. something, at the jack connected to the motherboard 19.something. i dont know were else to check, i also thought the cmos battery might be a problem so after posting this i used a hot air reflow station to unsolder the battery, power cycle (nothing) then put it back on and still nothing, im out of ideas and motherboards are 200 dollars.

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
the volts on the cmos batter or on the powersupply battery? i do believe i checked both and they seemed good, but i can recheck for something specific. Buying a new motherboard isnt an option for me right now, so i need to fix it some other way.

G

I am no expert, but it might be worth a try at replacing the battery

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
unfortunately i dont have another one as the batter is soldered to, but i do believe the voltage is acceptable, as when plugged in the standby voltages on the board are 3.3 volts. im thinking if flushing with isopropyl alcholol doesnt fix it, ill leave it tonight and then start reflowing tomorrow morning.

I am sorry but my advice above stands....

You seem very bright, but you are 14....you have no qualifications in Electronics and have obviously not got the skill to fix this or you wouldnt be asking here...

Take it to a pro...

Sometimes in life you need to realise you have overeached yourself....an adult would admit that to him or herself and go to a Pro...

But your choice....

Ah the arrogance of youth....

Your choice as I said....

You wont be able to fix this, to do it you need equipment you dont have (like an external laptop mobo tester) and a lot of knowledge you dont have...

My prediction.... it wont fix unless you buy another mobo and even then it wont work unless you pay a Pro to fit it....

I will keep an eye on this thread with interest...

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
"Ah the arrogance of youth" ive heard that from my mom a couple times before hahaha. Anyways im gonna keep working at it? is there any certain parts that i should check, that would go wrong?

This is my last comment on this thread as I could be using my time helping others who actually LISTEN...

I already told you...you check EVERYTHING !

Thats every part

Thats every track on the mobo

Thats every connection for resistance

etc etc etc.....

EVERYTHING....

bryce1733

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
ok brett one last question, can you direct me to a forum where people will help me fix my problem, not just tell me to take it in to a shop?

if anyone else is reading this some help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.