'My Computer' Screen

My two home machines perform normally and quickly, except for one issue they
both have. Whenever I got to the 'My Computer' screen the machine hangs for
over a minute before returning with the data. I don't see any network
attached devices on the screen, only C: harddrive and a D: dvd drive. How
might I find out what is slowing this screen down (it shows the little
spinning flashlight for that full minute before it returns).

Any help is appreciated.

Try to do a defragment of your hard disk.