Best Linux-compatible Graphics Card ???

LinuxLiker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I don't see any references to Linux related topics here, but I'm desperately needing a good choice for a graphics card that has a solid Linux driver.
I bought a PNY GeForce FX 5200 AGP card and finally got it working, but it locks up the hardware when I'm running things like a web browser.
A hardware reset is the only thing that will bring it back to life.
It is not confined to Linux, however, Windows 98SE exhibits the same lock-up.
I want something that is a known solid performer under Linux and also run respectably demanding apps under Windows.
I run RedHat 9. My motherboard is an Abit KT7 with an Athlon 1.2 Ghz processor and 256 MB memory and supports AGP 4x.
Hopefully there are Linux users on here that can advise.
Many thanks,
Doug

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
NVidia does have the most solid Linux drivers, IMO. The <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=TV-Out.+GF3TI200" target="_new">Gainward GF3 Ti200</A> is a pretty good value, as it comes factory clocked at "Ti450" specs (very close to GF3 Ti500 specs) and it's well supported under Linux. If you need more power, I'd get a GF4 Ti4200.

LinuxLiker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I would like to know of anyone out there who runs RedHat Linux 9 and
uses an nVidia Ti4800SE-VTD 8X AGP video card successfully.
My old card died and want a new one that works solidly under Linux but
also has plenty of 3D power for Windows also.
I'm looking at a card made by MSI which uses the
Ti4800SE-VTD.
But before shelling out the big bucks, I want to make positive that it will
install and work solidly under RedHat Linux 9.
I looked at the nVidia web site for the latest driver and its documentation says
that model Ti4800 is supported.
I just want to hear from actual satisfied users!
Please let me hear from you.
Thanks,
Doug

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Linux guys are the kings of queer when it comes to drivers, they only support the most popular hardware. Back when I tried Linux, you wanted an old Intel chipset, a VooDoo card if you needed 3D for anything, and an SB16! Since then it's become mostly the area of nVidia cards, SB Live's, etc. Whatever is most popular over a long period of time is whatever gets the best support.

Linux is an offshoot of Unix, the "my way or the highway" thought, groupthink, no individuality, etc. Linux improves on this mentality a bit by...using a hipper group.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I would deffinitly stay away from ati (not that their pruducts are bad)...i beleive all of their drivers (at least for my rage pro) are 3rd party...crash about driver support...i beleive linux is getting better and better...i would not say i have popular components and i got all of my stuff working including the tv tunner AND a soft modem! Not too bad...but then again maybe i am just lucky?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, about my Linux/Unix comunity putdown, I had a Riva 128 card, which was state of the art at the time. There weren't any driver for it. I asked around the Linux community, and received comments like:

"Hey fucktard, we don't support junk like that, it's your stupidity that got you into this mess, go buy a VooDoo or STFU"

And the more level headed guys were like "don't listen to them, just build your own driver. What, you don't know how? Then why are you even using Linux?"

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Hehe build your own driver...i should use that more often on thg

I can honestly say that i don't program (well at least not well) and i do use linux...the only thing i don't like is having to compile most programs...but other than that i like linux more than xp and 2000 but the software (games mostley) support is just not there.

Long live dos 6.2