Help installing Gainward gf4 ti4200

brad11

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
I just bought a Gainward GF4 ti4200 64mb 8x agp ultra 650... whew

I have windows xp pro with all users as admin.

Now to the problem. The manual just says to install the card then boot up the computer. The plug and play should recognize it and install the drivers. Then I can use the included cd to install the utilities and driver updates.

Well after I boot up and get to the user select screen I notice the resolution is at 640x480. Didn't think much of it. When I log in to my account I changed the res and its never reverted back. Figure that just comes with install a new card.

During the time when my startup programs are loading I see the little icon in the toolbar that represents new hardware found. Well I figure it's getting ready to install drivers. But before it shows me ANYTHING.. the computer just does a hard reboot... Now it's done this about 6 times in a row. Nothing has changed. Between 30-60 seconds after I log in it will do a hard reboot.

I never get any popup about the installation wizard or anything. If I try and load up the cd that came with it I can.. but the system does a hard reboot before I can complete the install.

It goes without saying that I'm losing it here.

My system:

Athlon 900mhz
ECS k7s5a mobo
256 mb ddr pc2100 ram
geforce 2mx 400 32mb vid card (old one that I put back in to write this)
Maxtor 60 gb hd

RandalFlagg

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
1. Install the card.
2. Apon reboot, waite for the found new hardware wizzard to popup saying 'found vga adapter' THEN PRESS CANCEL, dont let windows install the drivers.
3. Your screen will be now stuck at a crappy resolution, just ignore it and insert your driver CD.
4. Install the drivers and then reboot.
5. After reboot, adjust your setting to where you want them.
6. Go to Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers because the ones you just installed off the CD are old. I think the newest Detonators are the 44.03's

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Or you can uninstall the driver if you get enough time to do so. Or put the old card back and then go to Nvidia to get the latest driver, you can manually install the driver if you have an unzipping program, just extract the driver to a new folder. Then uninstall the driver and replace the card and then point to the folder with the new driver.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.