Does anyone have any idea as to why my PC - XP Home just installed SP2
- would suddenly decide to go into what appears to be some sort of
hibernation mode sometime during the night? I can leave it on all day
and it's fine but when I go to check my mail etc before going to work,
it has turned itself off - well almost! The green power light on the
tower is still on but nothing I do gets it going again. I have to
switch it off and then back on and it boots fine. I have checked all
the power settings and they are all set to 'never'. I could understand
it if it powered off altogether as this would point to a failure
somewhere.

It's an Asrock K7Upgrade-600 mobo with an Athlon 3200XP. It's now been
on for over 12 hours today and the CPU is running at 36 degrees so it
doesn't appear to be a heat problem and all but checking the voltages
using SpeedFan, the +12V is down at around 11.55 so could this be some
sort of weird PSU problem? But then why would it work all day but no
at night?

TIA

cheers,
Len

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Len Cuff" <thecuffs@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any idea as to why my PC - XP Home just installed SP2
> - would suddenly decide to go into what appears to be some sort of
> hibernation mode sometime during the night? I can leave it on all day
> and it's fine but when I go to check my mail etc before going to work,
> it has turned itself off - well almost! The green power light on the
> tower is still on but nothing I do gets it going again. I have to
> switch it off and then back on and it boots fine. I have checked all
> the power settings and they are all set to 'never'. I could understand
> it if it powered off altogether as this would point to a failure
> somewhere.
>
> It's an Asrock K7Upgrade-600 mobo with an Athlon 3200XP. It's now been
> on for over 12 hours today and the CPU is running at 36 degrees so it
> doesn't appear to be a heat problem and all but checking the voltages
> using SpeedFan, the +12V is down at around 11.55 so could this be some
> sort of weird PSU problem? But then why would it work all day but no
> at night?
>
> TIA
>

> cheers,
> Len

turn off any power management in the bios, cpu temp - what programs are
running when you are not there?
--
James Jenkins
www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:58:27 -0000, "James"
<James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>"Len Cuff" <thecuffs@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have any idea as to why my PC - XP Home just installed SP2
>> - would suddenly decide to go into what appears to be some sort of
>> hibernation mode sometime during the night? I can leave it on all day
>> and it's fine but when I go to check my mail etc before going to work,
>> it has turned itself off - well almost! The green power light on the
>> tower is still on but nothing I do gets it going again. I have to
>> switch it off and then back on and it boots fine. I have checked all
>> the power settings and they are all set to 'never'. I could understand
>> it if it powered off altogether as this would point to a failure
>> somewhere.
>>
>> It's an Asrock K7Upgrade-600 mobo with an Athlon 3200XP. It's now been
>> on for over 12 hours today and the CPU is running at 36 degrees so it
>> doesn't appear to be a heat problem and all but checking the voltages
>> using SpeedFan, the +12V is down at around 11.55 so could this be some
>> sort of weird PSU problem? But then why would it work all day but no
>> at night?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> cheers,
>> Len
>
>turn off any power management in the bios, cpu temp - what programs are
>running when you are not there?

James,
I've checked the BIOS and I can't see anything in there that
would cause it. There's nothing running at night wish sin't running
during the day! Unless I have some sort of scheduler that I'm not
aware of. Done a full scan for Spyware etc and AVG is up to date and
not reporting anything. I checked the event logs and again there's
nothing in there to point me to why it does it!

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:58:27 -0000, "James"
> <James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Len Cuff" <thecuffs@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone have any idea as to why my PC - XP Home just installed SP2
>>> - would suddenly decide to go into what appears to be some sort of
>>> hibernation mode sometime during the night? I can leave it on all day
>>> and it's fine but when I go to check my mail etc before going to work,
>>> it has turned itself off - well almost! The green power light on the
>>> tower is still on but nothing I do gets it going again. I have to
>>> switch it off and then back on and it boots fine. I have checked all
>>> the power settings and they are all set to 'never'. I could understand
>>> it if it powered off altogether as this would point to a failure
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>>> It's an Asrock K7Upgrade-600 mobo with an Athlon 3200XP. It's now been
>>> on for over 12 hours today and the CPU is running at 36 degrees so it
>>> doesn't appear to be a heat problem and all but checking the voltages
>>> using SpeedFan, the +12V is down at around 11.55 so could this be some
>>> sort of weird PSU problem? But then why would it work all day but no
>>> at night?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> cheers,
>>> Len
>>
>>turn off any power management in the bios, cpu temp - what programs are
>>running when you are not there?
>
> James,
> I've checked the BIOS and I can't see anything in there that
> would cause it. There's nothing running at night wish sin't running
> during the day! Unless I have some sort of scheduler that I'm not
> aware of. Done a full scan for Spyware etc and AVG is up to date and
> not reporting anything. I checked the event logs and again there's
> nothing in there to point me to why it does it!
>

> cheers,
> Len

Is windows up to date? - is your cpu overheating? (heaters at night
closeby?) Are you having some sort of power spike?

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:06:59 -0000, "James"
<James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>"Len Cuff" <thecuffs@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:58:27 -0000, "James"
>> <James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"Len Cuff" <thecuffs@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>>turn off any power management in the bios, cpu temp - what programs are
>>>running when you are not there?
>>
>> James,
>> I've checked the BIOS and I can't see anything in there that
>> would cause it. There's nothing running at night wish sin't running
>> during the day! Unless I have some sort of scheduler that I'm not
>> aware of. Done a full scan for Spyware etc and AVG is up to date and
>> not reporting anything. I checked the event logs and again there's
>> nothing in there to point me to why it does it!
>>

>> cheers,
>> Len
>

>Is windows up to date? - is your cpu overheating? (heaters at night
>closeby?) Are you having some sort of power spike?

Thought of all that, XP is up to date SP2 and all updates etc. Surge
protector on the feed to the PC as well. Odd thing is that this has
only started since I put on SP2 !

cheers,
Len