Ivory Mask/Black Vise/Megrim

I have Ivory Mask in play:

Color= White Type= Enchantment Cost= 2WW MM(R)/8(R)
Text (MM/8th): You can't be the target of spells or abilities

Opponent had Black Vise in play prior to my Ivory mask:

Color= Artifact Type= Artifact Cost= 1 A(U)/B(U)/U(U)/R(U)/4(U)
Text (4th+errata): As ~this~ comes into play, choose an opponent. ; At the
beginning of the chosen player's upkeep, ~this~ deals X damage to that player,
where X is the number of cards greater than four in his or her hand. [Oracle
2003/07/01]

This says nothing about 'target' so is it true that my Ivory Mask offers no
help
from this?

Ok, and lets say opponent has Megrim in play:

Color= Black Type= Enchantment Cost= 2B SH(U)/7(U)/8(U)
Text (8th): Whenever an opponent discards a card from his or her hand, ~this~
deals 2 damage to that player.

Again, does my Ivory Mask help protect me?

Thanks

lbradh@aol.commmono (LBradH) writes:
> I have Ivory Mask in play:
>
> Color= White Type= Enchantment Cost= 2WW MM(R)/8(R)
> Text (MM/8th): You can't be the target of spells or abilities
>
> Opponent had Black Vise in play prior to my Ivory mask:
>
> Color= Artifact Type= Artifact Cost= 1 A(U)/B(U)/U(U)/R(U)/4(U)
> Text (4th+errata): As ~this~ comes into play, choose an opponent. ;
> At the beginning of the chosen player's upkeep, ~this~ deals X
> damage to that player, where X is the number of cards greater than
> four in his or her hand. [Oracle 2003/07/01]
>
> This says nothing about 'target' so is it true that my Ivory Mask
> offers no help from this?

That is correct. The fact that the Vise was in play first is
completely irrelevant.

The only things that target are local enchantment spells and things
that use the word "target" in their Oracle text.

> Ok, and lets say opponent has Megrim in play:
>
> Color= Black Type= Enchantment Cost= 2B SH(U)/7(U)/8(U)
> Text (8th): Whenever an opponent discards a card from his or her hand, ~this~
> deals 2 damage to that player.
>
> Again, does my Ivory Mask help protect me?

No again, for the same reason. There's no "target" there, so the Mask
doesn't help.

> Thanks

You're welcome. Please post again if you have any more questions.

--
Peter C.
Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

LBradH wrote:

> I have Ivory Mask in play:
>
> Color= White Type= Enchantment Cost= 2WW MM(R)/8(R)
> Text (MM/8th): You can't be the target of spells or abilities
>

> Opponent had Black Vise in play prior to my Ivory mask:
>
> Color= Artifact Type= Artifact Cost= 1 A(U)/B(U)/U(U)/R(U)/4(U)
> Text (4th+errata): As ~this~ comes into play, choose an opponent. ; At the
> beginning of the chosen player's upkeep, ~this~ deals X damage to that
> player, where X is the number of cards greater than four in his or her
> hand. [Oracle 2003/07/01]
>

> This says nothing about 'target' so is it true that my Ivory Mask offers
> no help
> from this?

You got it. Black Vice doesn't target anything.

> Ok, and lets say opponent has Megrim in play:
>
> Color= Black Type= Enchantment Cost= 2B SH(U)/7(U)/8(U)
> Text (8th): Whenever an opponent discards a card from his or her hand,
> ~this~ deals 2 damage to that player.
>

> Again, does my Ivory Mask help protect me?

Nope. Doesn't say "target", doesn't target anything.

> Thanks

Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On 16 Jul 2004 16:53:52 GMT, LBradH <lbradh@aol.commmono> wrote:
>I have Ivory Mask in play:
> You can't be the target of spells or abilities
>
>Opponent had Black Vise in play prior to my Ivory mask:
>
> As ~this~ comes into play, choose an opponent. ; At the beginning of the
> chosen player's upkeep, ~this~ deals X damage to that player, where X is the
> number of cards greater than four in his or her hand. [Oracle 2003/07/01]

Both texts are still accurate. Notice that Black Vise, as currently worded,
does NOT say anything about "target"...

>This says nothing about 'target' so is it true that my Ivory Mask offers no
>help from this?

It is true that Ivory Mask offers no help against this. You (presumably) were
already chosen as the opponent, and will be 'that player' as long as the Vise
is in play; whether or not you can be the target of abilities doesn't really
have anything to do with that, just like whether or not you're allowed to
gain life doesn't really have anything to do with it.

>Ok, and lets say opponent has Megrim in play:
> Whenever an opponent discards a card from his or her hand, ~this~
> deals 2 damage to that player.
>
>Again, does my Ivory Mask help protect me?

Nope. Again, this does not target anything, because it a) doesn't use the word
"target" and b) is not a local enchantment spell being cast. (Pop quiz: what
category of local enchantment spells DOES Ivory Mask help against?) This finds
out information about who discarded, uses that to trigger, then later on on
resolution uses that info to find out who to damage.

Dave

dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) writes:
> (Pop quiz: what category of local enchantment spells DOES Ivory Mask
> help against?)

I would assume Enchant Player spells, but there aren't any tournament
legal ones (Although oddly enough, 212.4 explicitly handles enchant
player cards).

--
Peter C.
"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep."

David DeLaney wrote:

>>Again, does my Ivory Mask help protect me?
>
> Nope. Again, this does not target anything, because it a) doesn't use the
> word "target" and b) is not a local enchantment spell being cast. (Pop
> quiz: what category of local enchantment spells DOES Ivory Mask help
> against?)

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! :)

Enchant Player/Opponent cards, of which there were only two, both in
Unglued. Volrath's Motion Sensor and I think the other was Charm
School. They both required their subjects to physically balance the
card on themselves.