Another small Magic puzzle

Originated by a Russian judge Migel Klimin, adapted by me to more recent
cards:

It's your pre-combat main phase. Both you and your opponent are at 2
life.

Your position:
Mana sources - at least one untapped Island, the rest is irrelevant.
Creatures: two Wind Drakes, one enchanted with opponent's Sandskin.
Cards in hand: Unsummon

Opponent's position:
Mana sources - enough to get 5W.
Creatures: face-up Aven Liberator.
Other: Untapped Isochron Scepter imprinted with Backslide.
Card in hand: None.

Can you win this turn? (Obviously, the opponent is going to win next
turn otherwise)

Regards,
Arkady.

Oracle Text:

Backslide
{1}{U}
Instant
Turn target creature with morph face down.
Cycling {U} ({U}, Discard this card from your hand: Draw a card.)

Sandskin
{2}{W}
Enchant Creature
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by enchanted
creature.

Aven Liberator
{2}{W}{W}
Creature -- Bird Soldier
2/3
Flying
Morph {3}{W} (You may play this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}.
Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
When Aven Liberator is turned face up, target creature you control gains
protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.

Wind Drake
{2}{U}
Creature -- Drake
2/2
Flying

Isochron Scepter
{2}
Artifact
Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.)
{2}, {T}: You may copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy
without paying its mana cost.

Arkady Zilberberg wrote:

> Originated by a Russian judge Migel Klimin, adapted by me to more recent
> cards:
>
> It's your pre-combat main phase. Both you and your opponent are at 2
> life.
>
> Your position:
> Mana sources - at least one untapped Island, the rest is irrelevant.
> Creatures: two Wind Drakes, one enchanted with opponent's Sandskin.
> Cards in hand: Unsummon
>
> Opponent's position:
> Mana sources - enough to get 5W.
> Creatures: face-up Aven Liberator.
> Other: Untapped Isochron Scepter imprinted with Backslide.
> Card in hand: None.
>
> Can you win this turn? (Obviously, the opponent is going to win next
> turn otherwise)
>
> Regards,
> Arkady.
>
> Oracle Text:
>
> Backslide
> {1}{U}
> Instant
> Turn target creature with morph face down.
> Cycling {U} ({U}, Discard this card from your hand: Draw a card.)
>
> Sandskin
> {2}{W}
> Enchant Creature
> Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by enchanted
> creature.
>
> Aven Liberator
> {2}{W}{W}
> Creature -- Bird Soldier
> 2/3
> Flying
> Morph {3}{W} (You may play this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}.
> Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
> When Aven Liberator is turned face up, target creature you control gains
> protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
>
> Wind Drake
> {2}{U}
> Creature -- Drake
> 2/2
> Flying
>
> Isochron Scepter
> {2}
> Artifact
> Imprint -- When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an
> instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the
> game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.)
> {2}, {T}: You may copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy
> without paying its mana cost.

[spoiler space]

Not disputing the solution to the puzzle as already posted, but:

Am I missing something? I don't see how your opponent is guaranteed to
win next turn.

The moment he uses his Scepter to Backslide his Aven, you can respond by
Unsummoning it. If he doesn't use the Scepter on his turn, you can
block his Aven. If he does it at the end of your turn, his Aven will
not be able to attack the next turn.

--

"Today, for a lark, let's visit the pants. I'm
sure we'll find something to entertain us."

"Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Originated by a Russian judge Migel Klimin, adapted by me to more recent
> cards:
>
> It's your pre-combat main phase. Both you and your opponent are at 2
> life.
>
> Your position:
> Mana sources - at least one untapped Island, the rest is irrelevant.
> Creatures: two Wind Drakes, one enchanted with opponent's Sandskin.
> Cards in hand: Unsummon
>
> Opponent's position:
> Mana sources - enough to get 5W.
> Creatures: face-up Aven Liberator.
> Other: Untapped Isochron Scepter imprinted with Backslide.
> Card in hand: None.
>
> Can you win this turn? (Obviously, the opponent is going to win next
> turn otherwise)
>
> Regards,
> Arkady.

[spoiler space]

Is it just a case of Unsummoning the Sandskinned Drake once damage is on the
stack?

Cheers,
Grant

Hello, Grant!
You wrote on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:43:54 +1200:

GA> "Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Originated by a Russian judge Migel Klimin, adapted by me to more
>> recent
>> cards:

>> It's your pre-combat main phase. Both you and your opponent are
>> at 2
>> life.

>> Your position:
>> Mana sources - at least one untapped Island, the rest is
>> irrelevant.
>> Creatures: two Wind Drakes, one enchanted with opponent's
>> Sandskin.
>> Cards in hand: Unsummon

>> Opponent's position:
>> Mana sources - enough to get 5W.
>> Creatures: face-up Aven Liberator.
>> Other: Untapped Isochron Scepter imprinted with Backslide.
>> Card in hand: None.

>> Can you win this turn? (Obviously, the opponent is going to win
>> next
>> turn otherwise)

>> Regards,
>> Arkady.

GA> [spoiler space]

GA> Is it just a case of Unsummoning the Sandskinned Drake once
GA> damage is on the
GA> stack?
Precisely.