Restore or Repair or Clean install?

My brother's computer is running Windows XP Home
(upgrade). He upgraded from ME. The computer is a Dell
8100, with Rambus memory, 512 RAM, 20GB HD, 30GB second
HD, and it runs just fine except for the 2355 problem..
We have tried twice to install an HP PSC 2355 all-in-one.
Everything goes just fine until the last waiting for the
Congratulations! screen. At that point the hard drive
just keeps spinning. This install envolved two different
machines, 3 sessions with HP support, 20 hours,
uninstalling software, reinstalling software, and
registry editing. All without success. The software is
installing OK according to HP support. It prints, copies
just fine, but application hangs when trying to scan
(hard drive spinning).
I have run out of tricks, any ideas?
I am at the point of doing a restore, repair, clean
install, any suggestions?
Is the Windows XP upgrade disc capable of doing a clean
install?
Any and all suggestions or help will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Rod

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Rodney Chelius" <rgc2emc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My brother's computer is running Windows XP Home
> (upgrade). He upgraded from ME. The computer is a Dell
> 8100, with Rambus memory, 512 RAM, 20GB HD, 30GB second
> HD, and it runs just fine except for the 2355 problem..
> We have tried twice to install an HP PSC 2355 all-in-one.
> Everything goes just fine until the last waiting for the
> Congratulations! screen. At that point the hard drive
> just keeps spinning. This install envolved two different
> machines, 3 sessions with HP support, 20 hours,
> uninstalling software, reinstalling software, and
> registry editing. All without success. The software is
> installing OK according to HP support. It prints, copies
> just fine, but application hangs when trying to scan
> (hard drive spinning).
> I have run out of tricks, any ideas?
> I am at the point of doing a restore, repair, clean
> install, any suggestions?
> Is the Windows XP upgrade disc capable of doing a clean
> install?
> Any and all suggestions or help will be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you.
>
> Rod

Are there newer drivers for that printer? Check HP's support site and check
it out.
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=HP+PSC+2355+all-in-one&submit.x=9&submit.y=3

Have a look at the link below and look under "The scanning software does not
open or stops responding"

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpu05214&product=422000&dlc=en&lang=en

"Rodney Chelius" <rgc2emc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My brother's computer is running Windows XP Home
> (upgrade). He upgraded from ME. The computer is a Dell
> 8100, with Rambus memory, 512 RAM, 20GB HD, 30GB second
> HD, and it runs just fine except for the 2355 problem..
> We have tried twice to install an HP PSC 2355 all-in-one.
> Everything goes just fine until the last waiting for the
> Congratulations! screen. At that point the hard drive
> just keeps spinning. This install envolved two different
> machines, 3 sessions with HP support, 20 hours,
> uninstalling software, reinstalling software, and
> registry editing. All without success. The software is
> installing OK according to HP support. It prints, copies
> just fine, but application hangs when trying to scan
> (hard drive spinning).
> I have run out of tricks, any ideas?
> I am at the point of doing a restore, repair, clean
> install, any suggestions?
> Is the Windows XP upgrade disc capable of doing a clean
> install?
> Any and all suggestions or help will be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you.
>
> Rod

I researched and investigated ALL your suggestions to no
avail. The archive, FAQ and technical questions do not
address the problem of "Not Getting the Congratulations!"
message. The only thing I can guess is the computer has
some files on it that deter the HP install software. Some
other issues point to a clean install. I booted in the
safe mode once and found the trash can full of files I
have never heard of. In a regular boot the trash can is
empty.
Final question: Is the Windows XP Home Upgrade capable of
a clean install?

Thank you guys for all the help.

Rod