Multi-player rules and spell range

Oberon

Hi all,

I've a question regarding spell range in the multi-player rules WotC
recently posted.

The situation is this:

In a game of Emperor with a range of 2 and all players remaining in the
game, Side 1 General Left is attacking the opposing Side 2 General Right.
Side 2 General Left doesn't like the match-up of attackers to blockers, and
casts Fog.

What happens?

601.6. Effects can't affect objects or players outside their controller's
range. Only the parts of the effect that attempt to affect an out-of-range
object or player will fail. The rest of the effect will work normally

Example: Earthquake in a 6-player range 1 game.

Fog {G} Instant

Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.

I'm inclined to say that Side 2 General Left has just screwed his team mate,
as Side 2 General Right is in range of the Fog and his creatures will have
their damage prevented, while Side 1 General Left is out of range of the Fog
and his creatures will still damage those of Side 2 General Right. The
damage can not be prevented as the creatures inflicting the damage are out
of range.

But I see an argument that could be made that the damage caused by the
creatures of Side 1 General Left will still be prevented, as it was
inflicted _upon_ creatures which _were_ in range and therefore can be
prevented.

The argument also could be made that the damage inflicted by the creatures
owned by Side 2 General Right is out of range of the Fog, as it is inflicted
upon creatures that are out of range, and therefore the creatures controlled
by Side 2 General Right will have the damage done to them prevented, but the
damage inflicted upon the creatures controlled by Side 1 General Left can't
be prevented by the Fog.

One could even say that the damage caused _to_ and _by_ the creatures owned
by Side 2 General Right is prevented, and the Fog will work just as it does
in a standard duel. The creatures controlled by Side 1 General Left are out
of the range of the Fog, but their damage done is to creatures that are in
range and is therefore prevented, and the damage that would be done to them
is by creatures that are in range and will also be prevented.

Any reasoned response will be appreciated!

--
Cheers,
Ken

Oberon <friend@public.com> wrote:

> One could even say that the damage caused _to_ and _by_ the creatures owned
> by Side 2 General Right is prevented, and the Fog will work just as it does
> in a standard duel. The creatures controlled by Side 1 General Left are out
> of the range of the Fog, but their damage done is to creatures that are in
> range and is therefore prevented, and the damage that would be done to them
> is by creatures that are in range and will also be prevented.

Especially if one read the rules:

601.1b Prevention effects merely stop another effect from happening. To
prevent damage "dealt" or "dealt by" a source, the source must be within
range of you. To prevent damage "dealt to" an object or player, the
object or player must be within range of you.
Example: Player A plays an Lava Axe, dealing 5 damage to player B.
Player C, who is not within range of Player A, plays Honorable Passage
to prevent the damage to player B. The damage is prevented, but the side
effect of dealing damage to the damage source's controller fails,
because that player is not within range of player C.

So, it prevents the damage dealt by the creatures controlled by Side 2
General Right. And it prevents the damage dealt to Side 2 General Right
and the creatures he controls.

(I think that number is a typo for 601.8b.)
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Oberon

"Daniel W. Johnson" <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote in message
[snipped]

> So, it prevents the damage dealt by the creatures controlled by Side 2
> General Right. And it prevents the damage dealt to Side 2 General Right
> and the creatures he controls.
>
> (I think that number is a typo for 601.8b.)
> --
> Daniel W. Johnson
> panoptes@iquest.net
> http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
> 039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W

Daniel,

I think you're right about the typo, especially considering that there is a
previous 601.1b...

Thanks for pointing out the relevent section of the rules that covered my
hypothetical situation! I had read the multiplayer rules through, but
missed the applicability of that section to my situation.

Cheers,
Ken