engineered explosive and chalice of the void and their aff..

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Having just aquired one or two copies of these two cards I just want
to know if I am right in thinking that I can actuall bring both these
cards into play for nothing and use their effects to either counter or
destroy zero casting cards as long as they are in play.

Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Having just aquired one or two copies of these two cards I just want
>to know if I am right in thinking that I can actuall bring both these
>cards into play for nothing and use their effects to either counter or
>destroy zero casting cards as long as they are in play.

You cannot "counter" something that is already a permanent in play, and
Engineered Explosives doesn't say anything about being able to counter
spells or abilities in any way.

But yes, you can pay 0 for it, or all colorless mana, and have it appear with
no counters on it, then later use it to destroy all nonlands that have
converted mana cost 0. (Which includes ALL token creatures that aren't
actual copies of another creature, by the way.)

Dave

"Phil" <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Having just aquired one or two copies of these two cards I just want
> to know if I am right in thinking that I can actuall bring both these
> cards into play for nothing and use their effects to either counter or
> destroy zero casting cards as long as they are in play.

Yes, you can set Chalice or Explosives to zero and they will cost no
mana to play and will affect only zero-cost cards.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On 22 Jul 2004 19:36:43 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>Phil <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Having just aquired one or two copies of these two cards I just want
>>to know if I am right in thinking that I can actuall bring both these
>>cards into play for nothing and use their effects to either counter or
>>destroy zero casting cards as long as they are in play.
>
>You cannot "counter" something that is already a permanent in play, and
>Engineered Explosives doesn't say anything about being able to counter
>spells or abilities in any way.

sorry I did not mean to infer that I could counter with the engineered
explosive or destroy with the chalice. It was merely about the zero
cast and its effect.

>But yes, you can pay 0 for it, or all colorless mana, and have it appear with
>no counters on it, then later use it to destroy all nonlands that have
>converted mana cost 0. (Which includes ALL token creatures that aren't
>actual copies of another creature, by the way.)

thanks that was the answer I wanted ;o)

>Dave
>--
>\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
>It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
>Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
>http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:31:34 GMT, "Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net>
wrote:

>"Phil" <phil@giltharn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Having just aquired one or two copies of these two cards I just want
>> to know if I am right in thinking that I can actuall bring both these
>> cards into play for nothing and use their effects to either counter or
>> destroy zero casting cards as long as they are in play.
>
> Yes, you can set Chalice or Explosives to zero and they will cost no
>mana to play and will affect only zero-cost cards.

thanks I didn't want to try it in the PTQ's then hear the words Judge,
and I'm sorry thats an illegal move :eek:)
I'd rather know for certain before the event