Widows Task Manager

March 5, 2005 7:03:03 PM

Could anyone tell me, why in my task manager, under processes I have four
listed svchost.exe taking from one to seventeen megs of memory.
Which one if any, of these processes can be disabled....???

More about : widows task manager

March 5, 2005 10:21:38 PM

"Andre" <Andre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could anyone tell me, why in my task manager, under processes I have four
> listed svchost.exe taking from one to seventeen megs of memory.
> Which one if any, of these processes can be disabled....???

None, as that process runs many other processes under the same name.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 10:49:04 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmU=?=" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>Could anyone tell me, why in my task manager, under processes I have four
>listed svchost.exe taking from one to seventeen megs of memory.
>Which one if any, of these processes can be disabled....???

It's normal to have multiple instances of svchost.exe running.

(I think widows have enough experience to manage themselves,
without needing a manager. :-)

"There is a French widow in every bedroom, affording delightful
prospects." -- Gerard Hoffnung

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
March 6, 2005 1:06:25 PM

None, without disabling some services.

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CA494129-FC56-4E6D-A561-237BF966299E@microsoft.com,
Andre <Andre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Could anyone tell me, why in my task manager, under processes I have
> four listed svchost.exe taking from one to seventeen megs of memory.
> Which one if any, of these processes can be disabled....???
March 6, 2005 1:06:26 PM

I followed the instructions on that web site you sent me to....but the answer
I got in command prompt was "Tasklist is not recognized as an internal or
external commandect..etc.."..I understand now that I shouldn't remove it from
the list but lately, while my notebook is running idle, I've noticed
periodical bursts of activity, and when I left Task Manager on, I noticed the
activity was associated with SVChost.exe. I've had MOH.exe locking in the
past and crashing my system so I just uninstalled the software associated
with it because I didn't need it, but it has made me paranoid about things
starting by themselves.
Is there somewhere, a list of absolutely essential services that should be
left running at all times???

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> None, without disabling some services.
>
> A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:CA494129-FC56-4E6D-A561-237BF966299E@microsoft.com,
> Andre <Andre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Could anyone tell me, why in my task manager, under processes I have
> > four listed svchost.exe taking from one to seventeen megs of memory.
> > Which one if any, of these processes can be disabled....???

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:30:30 PM

Andre,

Tasklist is not Task Manager. Tasklist.exe and taskmgr.exe are not the
same.

Tasklist does not come with XP Home.

If you want, The following works. I did it when I had XP Home.

1. Download Tasklist.exe.

Tasklist.exe available here:
http://www.computerhope.com/download/winxp.htm

Or...

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/

Microsoft Windows XP - Tips & Fixes
Click on:
Tasklist.exe - Lists all processes & services (/Svc)

Or...

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/tasklist.zip

2. Copy tasklist.exe to

C:\WINDOWS\system32
or
%windir%\system32

3. Open a Command Prompt.

Start | Run | type: cmd | OK
When the Command Prompt window opens type:

tasklist /svc

Hit your ENTER key.

Also:

tasklist /?

Displays Help and usage.
-----

Services information.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/windowsxp.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0EF62785-3155-484D-9635-7C3E33D9A083@microsoft.com,
Andre <Andre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I followed the instructions on that web site you sent me to....but
> the answer I got in command prompt was "Tasklist is not recognized as
> an internal or external commandect..etc.."..I understand now that I
> shouldn't remove it from the list but lately, while my notebook is
> running idle, I've noticed periodical bursts of activity, and when I
> left Task Manager on, I noticed the activity was associated with
> SVChost.exe. I've had MOH.exe locking in the past and crashing my
> system so I just uninstalled the software associated with it because
> I didn't need it, but it has made me paranoid about things starting
> by themselves.
> Is there somewhere, a list of absolutely essential services that
> should be left running at all times???
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> None, without disabling some services.
>>
>> A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:CA494129-FC56-4E6D-A561-237BF966299E@microsoft.com,
>> Andre <Andre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Could anyone tell me, why in my task manager, under processes I have
>>> four listed svchost.exe taking from one to seventeen megs of memory.
>>> Which one if any, of these processes can be disabled....???
March 6, 2005 5:17:01 PM

Thanks, Wesley for all the info, I consider myself only an intermediate user
and a long way from beeing expert like a lot of folks in these forums, so
command prompt and the registry are things I go into only when I'm
experiencing problems like I had a while back, My moto is "don't fix it if it
ain't broke"....I'm keeping all those web sites you have directed me to in my
favorites list under "Computer fixes" in both my P.C.s The other one beeing a
"98" which has been hummin' without a glitch for seven years with the only
drawback, having to install a driver for every single piece of equipment I
plug into it. Thanks again for the prompt answers to my query...........

March 6, 2005 7:59:35 PM

Keep having fun! :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.